Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
What doctors are you guys getting your information from, that has you so concerned about Suter's future? Holy ****, the drama.

Board-certified orthopedic surgeons seems like a good place to start. Read up yourself: Talar Body Fracture Surgery

It's a very serious injury. Suter was told that if he played any other sport his career would probably be over. My question is how hockey is actually different from "any other sport" - certainly one uses their ankles. So yeah, I think we all hope he makes a full recovery but that is far from assured.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
What doctors are you guys getting your information from, that has you so concerned about Suter's future? Holy ****, the drama.

Dr. Google, from the 24/7 free clinic on the interwebs. :damnpc:

I'm worried about Suter's injury too, but I'd just hedge the bets for now. Take Brodin off the trade block, and don't sell the farm for a (probably expensive) replacement that may or may not be needed.

It really would be nice to know what we really have in Olofsson as a player right now (besides injury prone).

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Board-certified orthopedic surgeons seems like a good place to start. Read up yourself: Talar Body Fracture Surgery

It's a very serious injury. Suter was told that if he played any other sport his career would be over. My question is how hockey is actually different from "any other sport" - certainly one uses their ankles. So yeah, I think we all hope he makes a full recovery but that is far from assured.
I assume the difference is that skates tend to restrict the ankle's range of motion a lot more than regular shoes, so that entire area probably sees less stress than in other sports. Functionally, a skate doesn't seem way different than an ankle brace.

There still seems to be a lot of uncertainty though. Even doctors are going to rely heavily on what's happened in the past and apparently the data's pretty limited there.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
I played baseball with a guy who broke the same bones in his ankle and he has chronic pain 9 years later. Take that for what it's worth.

Uberdachen

Posts Last 5 Minutes
Sep 5, 2012
Pants.

WebMD says it could be pretty bad:

Conditions that match your symptoms

UNDERSTANDING YOUR RESULTS
  • Sprained ankle
  • Broken (fractured) ankle
  • Sarcoidosis
  • Gout
My Symptoms
  • Ankle pain
Current Medications
  • Cheese cheddar flavor (bulk) liquid

Sarcoidosis, also known as Besnier-Boeck-Schaumann disease, can take 10 years for a full recovery. He'll only have 37 years left on his contract at that point.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Pain is not good, but a lot of these guys deal with it. What I would worry about is the joints around the bone loosing flexibility, and limiting his ability to "push off", which is critical for skating. Different injury, but i believe Nino suffered from a lack of ability to plant and push this year, with predictably bad results in his play.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
I've proposed this two deals before and they seem to be fair. Would you do either of them?

Jesse Puljujarvi, 10th Overall pick for Jared Spurgeon, 24th Overall Pick

Ethan Bear, 10th Overall pick, 2019 3rd
for Jared Spurgeon

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I've proposed this two deals before and they seem to be fair. Would you do either of them?

for Jared Spurgeon

Not saying I'd do #1 but if I did, I wouldn't throw in #24. The whole idea of this type of trade is to re-stock and get younger and I'm tired of giving picks away. Not interested in #2.

I saw the thread on the main board and I do not agree that #1 is an overpay for Spurgeon with the #24 not included. The only people who think that know nothing of Spurgeon's game and how much he would help Edmonton.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009

for Jared Spurgeon
Pulj, 10th Overall and Bear for Spurgeon and Zucker.

Wild would have to accept a rebuild to do that so probably wont happen.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Yeah if we did #1 it would have to be minus our 24th pick. We could add one of our extra thirds but that's as high as i'd go and I'd try to get it without adding a pick hard first. Otherwise don't hate it. Wild get a high talent high risk prospect we've been looking for and if we had a 10th and a 24th and three thirds that would be some ammo to move around and make something happen in the draft. The Oilers would get a fantastic #2 who could hold down the spot for the next 5-6 years hopefully. I think Spurgeon will have a better decline than most players if he stays healthyish.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Eh, not a big fan. Getting the 10th overall and Puljujärvi wouldn't hurt this team, but we don't really have anyone to replace Spurgeon (unless we're going to rely heavily on Belpedio/Seeler in the top 4). Our top 4 already got dinged last year with Scandella down. With Suter questionable, I'd rather keep Spurgeon.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Eh, not a big fan. Getting the 10th overall and Puljujärvi wouldn't hurt this team, but we don't really have anyone to replace Spurgeon (unless we're going to rely heavily on Belpedio/Seeler in the top 4). Our top 4 already got dinged last year with Scandella down. With Suter questionable, I'd rather keep Spurgeon.
I think if you do pull the trigger on the deal we have to go out and get a right hand defenseman who can play in the top 4 in FA. That probably means an overpayment even if it's for a short stop gap deal with an older player so you'd probably be looking at an Ennis buyout and the cap space from the Vanek buyout and Spurgeon going out. Unless people think that

Suter - Dumba
Seeler - Brodin

is an option but with Suter being questionable for awhile and Seeler not really being proven I would't love it. Would have to find a defenseman in free agency now that I look at it.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I'd want Larsson or Nurse coming back from any Spurgeon/Oilers trade.

I guess you could make that Pollparty/Spurgeon + first swap trade, and then trade Coyle/Zucker for a d-man. Maybe get Faulk from the Canes?

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Everybody upon everyone gets that Peter Chiarelli has made some bad trades. But he won't be trading Darnell Nurse this summer.

I would wager that there are some teams that really like Jared Spurgeon and see him as a great number three guy but he gets paid to play top-pairing and that impacts his trade value too. I guarantee that there are zero teams that see him as a number one - including the Minnesota Wild. An undersized guy who misses games every season and scores a bit has value - not that much value.

There might be some teams that value Coyle. There may even be a couple guys who see him as a potential center. Even so, he's not going to return much more than a similar player: a utility guy whose upside is 50-odd points. At his contract this team's not likely to do better.

The Wild has
Dumba
Kaprizov
Greenway
Zucker
Granlund
Nino
Staal
2019 1st round pick

If these guys start being traded, then Leipold has been sold on a long-term painful process.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wabit

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Everybody upon everyone gets that Peter Chiarelli has made some bad trades. But he won't be trading Darnell Nurse this summer.

I would wager that there are some teams that really like Jared Spurgeon and see him as a great number three guy but he gets paid to play top-pairing and that impacts his trade value too. I guarantee that there are zero teams that see him as a number one - including the Minnesota Wild. An undersized guy who misses games every season and scores a bit has value - not that much value.

There might be some teams that value Coyle. There may even be a couple guys who see him as a potential center. Even so, he's not going to return much more than a similar player: a utility guy whose upside is 50-odd points. At his contract this team's not likely to do better.

The Wild has
Dumba
Kaprizov
Greenway
Zucker
Granlund
Nino
Staal
2019 1st round pick

If these guys start being traded, then Leipold has been sold on a long-term painful process.

Huh? How is trading Karizov, Greenway or the 2019 1st looking "longterm"?

Reactions: 57special

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Huh? How is trading Karizov, Greenway or the 2019 1st looking "longterm"?

I was just listing the team's trade assets. I'm of the belief that this team doesn't need much more than a tweak (and a bit of luck) to remain competitive, and so if you see those guys going it says to me that someone decided the window of the Staal/Parise/Suter/Koivu years is shut and the timeframe for competing for the Cup is three-four seasons away. In that case, you'd hopefully hold a few inexpensive guys but if the procurement process is fatally flawed, then you want picks or new management's preferred prospects in return. Not a recommendation on my part.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
What are your plans on Ennis? Looking at your cap if it goes up to 80M like rumored, that still only leaves 12M available for extensions to Dumba and Zucker, plus to fill the rest of the lineup. I see you have 3 3rd round picks, would you move one with Ennis to get out of that last year on his deal to Vancouver?

EDIT: Didn't realize there was a separate thread already going specifically on Ennis.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

The Wild has
Dumba
Kaprizov
Greenway
Zucker
Granlund
Nino
Staal
2019 1st round pick

I agree, but I don't think Zucker is the same as the rest of your list. It depends on return obviously, but Zucker is the perfect trade high candidate to facilitate a major tweak.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I agree, but I don't think Zucker is the same as the rest of your list. It depends on return obviously, but Zucker is the perfect trade high candidate to facilitate a major tweak.

Given this Evander Kane deal, the Wild may not have a choice. Zucker still brings that straightaway speed that is a weapon. I think last year was a career year for him but he has to be replaced if traded.

But I see Nino and Coyle sharing a similar skill set and poaching each other's time and role.
Trading Nino or Coyle possibly makes the other man a better and more valuable player.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Given this Evander Kane deal, the Wild may not have a choice. Zucker still brings that straightaway speed that is a weapon. I think last year was a career year for him but he has to be replaced if traded.

But I see Nino and Coyle sharing a similar skill set and poaching each other's time and role.
Trading Nino or Coyle possibly makes the other man a better and more valuable player.
CL did give a 3-4 year timeline for success, so I think a tweak or two could be in anticipation of a temporary step backwards if Fenton thinks it's needed to get the right player group.

Obviously if Zucker is traded it would be for a likely big return, but then you do have time to make other moves to try to bring speed back to the lineup if speed is lost in said trade.

I agree that Nino and Coyle both have redundant skill sets, but both would be sell low candidates that could affect the level of return.

Trading anyone off the roster would depend greatly on what the return is, if it would be acceptable. I just believe the return is more likely to be tolerated/beneficial if Zucker is traded vs the rest of the list.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
What are your plans on Ennis? Looking at your cap if it goes up to 80M like rumored, that still only leaves 12M available for extensions to Dumba and Zucker, plus to fill the rest of the lineup. I see you have 3 3rd round picks, would you move one with Ennis to get out of that last year on his deal to Vancouver?

EDIT: Didn't realize there was a separate thread already going specifically on Ennis.
yes , i would trade ennis plus a 3rd & i would even keep 1 mill cap. just my one cent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->