Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Yeah don't see how Stewie being off the team can be viewed as anything but a positive. Just about the worst player on the roster in terms of playoffs skills considering his two plus skills are shootouts and fighting and neither of those come into play in the playoffs. Also don't mind losing him on waivers because that scenario is better than valuing him to high and keeping him on the team.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014
Wonder if Reilly, Ennis, and a third would be enough to get Kane from the Sabres if no one else jumps on him and we can get him at the last hour. Highly doubtful but maybe add another third? Buffalo's third we have is basically a second so would people do

Reilly, Ennis, and Buffalo third for Kane?

Basically Reilly and a high third for Kane with Ennis going as a cap casualty which I don't know maybe they don't mind him.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
I'm personally more than happy to let Stewart be on the ice for one of our competitors. Heck, I only wish it was Nashville or Winnipeg that thought it would be a good idea to suit him up.

He's a 4th liner making a million bucks, they're replaceable. They get waived and claimed every other day. That 3 years ago Fletcher made a bad decision to trade for him, is irrelevant to him waiving him today.

You could be right that he's more detriment than asset. I don't think it's irrelevant though - it goes to his entire career of misjudging on pro acquisitions. Watch Foligno hit waivers this time next season.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It looks like there is going to be a lot of the lower tier players (still quality) going for less than their current teams are hoping for. The list of buyers is getting shorter with a few of them already blowing their wad on a big trade.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
It looks like there is going to be a lot of the lower tier players (still quality) going for less than their current teams are hoping for. The list of buyers is getting shorter with a few of them already blowing their wad on a big trade.

I can already see Fletch's quotes from the post-TDL article. "The prices were just too high, we like our team, want to see everyone fully healthy, our goal is making the playoffs and once that happens, it's just about winning games, we felt adding good young pieces like Luke Kunin was the equivalent of adding a player at high cost of futures..." but it also suggests that Winnipeg, Nashville, Toronto, and others see themselves as legit contenders. The Wild, in the gm's eyes, maybe are not.

And if any team has watched Mike Reilly, they're not giving up a pick for him.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Call it missed opportunity cost then, since a competitor added him for nothing. And now the narrative will be it makes room for Greenway or Kunin. Are they better today than Stewie? We'll see. There's more to playoff hockey than just skill, there's experience and toughness and will. Yeah it's not technically a lost 2nd rounder but it wasn't very long ago Fletch decided that was a fair price for a player he now simply gave away.
They obviously tried to trade him though. Must not have been any takers.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I can already see Fletch's quotes from the post-TDL article. "The prices were just too high, we like our team, want to see everyone fully healthy, our goal is making the playoffs and once that happens, it's just about winning games, we felt adding good young pieces like Luke Kunin was the equivalent of adding a player at high cost of futures..." but it also suggests that Winnipeg, Nashville, Toronto, and others see themselves as legit contenders. The Wild, in the gm's eyes, maybe are not.

I could see somewhere in the 4th - 6th range. It's a low risk, somewhat high reward (if he figures things out) for them.

Hell, Vegas has two of each of those this year, plus three 2nd rounder and three 3rd rounders next year, plus three more 2nd rounders the year after. They could definitely take a flyer.

SomethingGeneric

Sep 25, 2014

84 gp 8 goals 14 assists and a -9 so basically one full season for Reilly. I think a team would give up a third through seventh rounder for that production from a bottom pairing guy who hasn't gotten enough ice time on the team. What is it a player needs like 2-3 full seasons to learn the defensive game in the NHL? I think it would be a stretch to say that Reilly is done improving on the Defensive end and he has already shown he can score so yeah I can see some teams valuing him.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Peter I agree with most of what you just said,b ut I disagree about the Nashville part. They traded a late 1st+stuff for a former late 1st that is on his ELC and is playing pretty well. Hartman fits their window better than a guy that is 3 years from doing anything in the NHL.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Reilly picked a bad time to suck last night if he wanted to be moved.

Spending a lot of time talking about two fringe NHL'ers (Stew and Reilly).

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Not sure what part you're disagreeing with. I love what Nashville's doing (Winnipeg too). Hartman is a great fit for a playoff team. They're putting themselves in a little trouble maybe, but can probably recoup thanks to some of their depth. I mean, both of these teams have such good prospect pools that it's no great harm to deal a guy like Foley or Kamenev or even Girard.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
It is irrelevant. 3 years ago he was brought in to play a top 9 role for a single playoff run. At that time he was a 27 year old player, that had been playing top 6 in Buffalo. He scored at a 45 point pace over those 30 games. The asset was for that single season only, and always was. The asset spent was always just for that 30 games.

That he came back a year later on a small contract is irrelevant to the original trade.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I could see Reilly being a good fit with EDM. Put him with Larsson and it could be a decent pairing.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Fletcher's been pretty up front saying he doesn't anticipate making many moves today. And largely the fanbase agree's with that approach, or atleast it seemed like that to me.

So now we're going to criticize him for that?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He doesn't replace any of Klefbom, Sekera or Nurse though.

Sekera has been injured so much this season and he's not young anymore. I really like Nurse.

A puck moving d-man is something EDM needs, Reilly could get s tryout type of deal to end the season there. Plus if he can play offhanded it opens up other d-pair options.

Klefbom could be moved in a reverse Hall/Larsson type of trade. He's not bad or anything, but the Oilers really need some top-6 wings.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Fletcher's been pretty up front saying he doesn't anticipate making many moves today. And largely the fanbase agree's with that approach, or atleast it seemed like that to me.

So now we're going to criticize him for that?

I am yeah. I don't see the window for this team open that much longer, so I'd be happy if they could upgrade the scoring a bit at the cost of a future (even Kaprizov). But I realize you need a great return for a player like that and the reality is that there aren't a lot of guys available who would be worth the cost of a Greenway even. That makes inaction frustrating, because it already looks like a first-round exit is the best possible outcome. As creative as Fletch has been, doing nothing seems like surrender.

Maybe they can reload next season with Kunin and Greenway and be even better. But I see Koivu and Parise on a bit of a decline, Winnik and Cullen and Stewart gone and Ennis headed for a buyout but more salary tied up in Zucker and Dumba making it hard to add. Similar problems, same results. Rinse and repeat. Not all on the GM, but ultimately it is his team that can't get over a certain hump as presently constituted.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I find it really hard to look at last year's Wild, with a better roster and a deeper prospect pool, and what it did at the deadline along with how it turned out (including both Fletcher and Leipold's comments about ultimately regretting it) and think standing pat this year is a bad move. But I think a lot of this discussion comes down to the idea of when this team's "window" is and whether or not is coincides with Staal's contract. Personally I don't think that's the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->