Speculation: Trade & Free Agency Talk XLI

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Trochek I could care less about. The main thing is to get that top #1C. Even a guy like Mikko in his prime would be good enough, though I would like to get a guy who is more skewed to offense for PP purposes...JEE is at Koivu's level defensively, I think. Certainly wouldn't turn down a young version two way C like Kopitar, Bergeron, or Barkov though.

Last edited:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If we were making a play at Eichel, I'd do what I can to keep Rossi in the fold. Eichel/Rossi/JEE is a hell of a thing that we've never had before.

Dumba + Boldy + Rask (cap) + 2-3 1sts would be near my limit I think. Still leaves us with:

Fiala (~$6.5m) - Eichel - Zuccarello
Greenway
- Rossi - Kaprizov (~$6.5m)
Foligno - Eriksson Ek - Hartman (~$2m)
Parise - Sturm - Somebody (~$750k)

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin
- Menell
Soucy - Addison

Talbot
Kahkonen

I believe that with some very minor massaging, that lineup could fit under a stagnant cap.

Protect the bolded. Probably lose Soucy in expansion and re-sign Cole to fill his spot or something until O'Rourke is ready. Zuccarello's and Foligno's contracts expire when the time comes for Rossi's 2nd contract. Gotta hope Brackett can hit on his 2nd and 3rd rounders for a couple years, and guys like Beckman and Khusnutdinov are the real deals.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
If we were making a play at Eichel, I'd do what I can to keep Rossi in the fold. Eichel/Rossi/JEE is a hell of a thing that we've never had before.

Dumba + Boldy + Rask (cap) + 2-3 1sts would be near my limit I think. Still leaves us with:

Fiala (~$6.5m) - Eichel - Zuccarello
Greenway
- Rossi - Kaprizov (~$6.5m)
Foligno - Eriksson Ek - Hartman (~$2m)
Parise - Sturm - Somebody (~$750k)

Suter - Spurgeon
Brodin
- Menell
Soucy - Addison

Talbot
Kahkonen

I believe that with some very minor massaging, that lineup could fit under a stagnant cap.

Protect the bolded. Probably lose Soucy in expansion and re-sign Cole to fill his spot or something until O'Rourke is ready. Zuccarello's and Foligno's contracts expire when the time comes for Rossi's 2nd contract. Gotta hope Brackett can hit on his 2nd and 3rd rounders for a couple years, and guys like Beckman and Khusnutdinov are the real deals.
That’s the deal I would look for and I would agree I would do whatever possible to not move Rossi.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Both of those statements are extremely questionable.
And you can have that opinion. We’ve already had discussions about Rossi and it’s well-known that we disagree on the matter. I don’t know why we need to have the conversation again.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
And you can have that opinion. We’ve already had discussions about Rossi and it’s well-known that we disagree on the matter. I don’t know why we need to have the conversation again.
Because keeping him instead of Boldy is a terrible idea

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
So what’s the case for it being a “terrible idea”?
Boldy has proven much more at a much higher level. People are severely overrating Rossi on the hope and dream that he can be the center that we have been hoping for for 20 years.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Boldy has proven much more at a much higher level. People are severely overrating Rossi on the hope and dream that he can be the center that we have been hoping for for 20 years.

He has also had the opportunity to do so. Let’s not act like great players don’t come out of the freaking CHL all the time.

There are a lot of non Wild affiliated people that like Rossi a lot too. It’s not just us seeing things there.

That still doesn’t really support it being a “terrible idea”. A questionable one maybe, as with most things.

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
If you had to pull my arm and decide between Rossi or Boldy right now I think I'd have to choose Boldy. With Rossi and all the unknowns about his health and the future. Not to mention he's pretty much gonna lose a huge year of development seems like the more riskier keep regardless of position need.

Reactions: MNRube

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He has also had the opportunity to do so. Let’s not act like great players don’t come out of the freaking CHL all the time.

There are a lot of non Wild affiliated people that like Rossi a lot too. It’s not just us seeing things there.

That still doesn’t really support it being a “terrible idea”. A questionable one maybe, as with most things.

Make the list of 6'2" skilled forwards that dominated the NCAA's and WJC and then busted in the NHL
Make the list of 5'9" centers that dominated the OHL and then busted in the NHL.
One list is miles longer than the other.

Of course, we haven't even mentioned the health concerns or the fact that it's been a year since Rossi has played hockey. That will do wonders for his development I'm sure. Haven't touched on the idea that it's not really likely that Rossi will even be able to play center in the NHL either. How many people would see Rossi as the better prospect if they knew both would be wingers in the NHL?

It's very possible that Rossi could end up the better player in the long run, but going off of what we actually know at this time, there really isn't a decision to be made.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Make the list of 6'2" skilled forwards that dominated the NCAA's and WJC and then busted in the NHL
Make the list of 5'9" centers that dominated the OHL and then busted in the NHL.
One list is miles longer than the other.

Of course, we haven't even mentioned the health concerns or the fact that it's been a year since Rossi has played hockey. That will do wonders for his development I'm sure. Haven't touched on the idea that it's not really likely that Rossi will even be able to play center in the NHL either. How many people would see Rossi as the better prospect if they knew both would be wingers in the NHL?

It's very possible that Rossi could end up the better player in the long run, but going off of what we actually know at this time, there really isn't a decision to be made.

Great. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Congrats, you just completely discredited your entire argument and showed exactly why you're wrong.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Congrats, you just completely discredited your entire argument and showed exactly why you're wrong.
Perhaps all he's trying to get across unfriendly is that if you had to choose between shipping Boldy or Rossi right now It might make more sense to ship the guy with off ice health issues and lack of development.

But hey this is a good way to see how our fan base covets these 2.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Perhaps all he's trying to get across unfriendly is that if you had to choose between shipping Boldy or Rossi right now It might make more sense to ship the guy with off ice health issues and lack of development.

But hey this is a good way to see how our fan base covets these 2.

I'm sure that's something like what he's trying to say. I have no issue if people would rather keep Boldy. I like Boldy a lot.

My issue is with the idea that it's black and white, and the 100% correct decision is to keep Boldy, and keeping Rossi over Boldy is indefensible. I have watched a majority of Boldy's games since we drafted him, and I still go back and forth between the two.

My preference is to keep both, and keep building through the draft, and then in 3-5 years you start to see who fits where and who can be moved.

Reactions: BagHead and TaLoN

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The reasons that one might come up with to choose to trade Rossi can be the same ones that Buffalo would have not to prefer him. They did pass on him less than 6 months ago.

Reactions: grN1g

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
The reasons that one might come up with to choose to trade Rossi can be the same ones that Buffalo would have not to prefer him. They did pass on him less than 6 months ago.

The caveat being that they had Cozens who they thought would be NHL ready sooner than later, and they were going for a goal scoring winger to help appease Eichel. Can't say for sure that every team goes strictly by the BPA theory.

The other thing worth noting being that if the Sabres are now trading Eichel, it means they suddenly have a need for a top 6 center, and Rossi would be the piece that could potentially fill that need.

Reactions: TaLoN

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
And that has absolutely nothing to do with the actual conversation

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The caveat being that they had Cozens who they thought would be NHL ready sooner than later, and they were going for a goal scoring winger to help appease Eichel. Can't say for sure that every team goes strictly by the BPA theory.

The other thing worth noting being that if the Sabres are now trading Eichel, it means they suddenly have a need for a top 6 center, and Rossi would be the piece that could potentially fill that need.

Yeah. Hard to say from the extreme outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad