GDT: Trade Deadline

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
If I were some of our recent AHL callups over the last few months I'd be looking for some retroactive GM pressers about the big news that they were.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
lol good job treliving this will really bring us closer to a cup.

really starting to doubt my faith in him.

No moves he was going to make today would have brought us closer to the Cup.

And since we are a better team now than we were this morning we are in fact closer to the Cup.

Reactions: Rockmorton

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
lol good job treliving this will really bring us closer to a cup.

really starting to doubt my faith in him.

Looked like a minimum for a "decent" rental is a 1st....he doesnt have one to trade

I think we are lucky, he didnt do anything stupid.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I like the pick ups today, like everyone has said is that both are depth moves and I hope they fire both stajan and brower into the sun. A younger and faster 4th line will help and put pk will be better with shore on it.

Competition is always good

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Here's a thought.
Hammer was moved for a 1st + 2x 2nds.

He had 3 years on his term at a cap hit of 3.8.

McD is a better player, I'm not even going to debate that. But if we say JT/Namestnikov is a wash:
2x 1st, 2 top prospects for 100 games of McD.

Hell, Tatar (middle 6 scorer) 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

I know some people have shit on this move before, but when you break it down, Tre got long term value on that Hamonic trade.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I totally called us getting Stewart like a month ago. I did a quick search of a larger size player, decent skater that could score, Stewart was on a short list and I knew he wouldn’t cost much. Hard to be mad at the acquisition but I don’t expect much. But he might be an upgrade on Brouwer, hard to say.

I actually like getting Shore quite a bit. He’s way better than Stajan and I think our fans will like him. Think of a better Freddie and that’s Shore.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Here's a thought.
Hammer was moved for a 1st + 2x 2nds.

He had 3 years on his term at a cap hit of 3.8.

McD is a better player, I'm not even going to debate that. But if we say JT/Namestnikov is a wash:
2x 1st, 2 top prospects for 100 games of McD.

Hell, Tatar (middle 6 scorer) 1st, 2nd, 3rd.

I know some people have **** on this move before, but when you break it down, Tre got long term value on that Hamonic trade.

They’ll probably win it both years

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I know some people have **** on this move before, but when you break it down, Tre got long term value on that Hamonic trade.

It would only be value if they Flames make the playoff.

If it becomes a lottery pick, that pick alone is worth more than anything the Rangers got.

Reactions: Cyrano

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
What do you suggest we do? Trade Andersson, a first and something else for Nash?

Yea, no thanks. Our window may be open, but that doesn’t mean we need to throw all our eggs in 1 basket to **** us in the future.
Na, wasn't interested in Nash. Would have been nice to use some of our D prospects to upgrade the wings. I'm sorry but Shore and Stewart are terrible.

We need to stop overrating our prospects so damn much, this forum is embarrassing.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Na, wasn't interested in Nash. Would have been nice to use some of our D prospects to upgrade the wings. I'm sorry but Shore and Stewart are terrible.

We need to stop overrating our prospects so damn much, this forum is embarrassing.

I kinda agree with your about the overrating thing

but if they are not very good, how do use them to upgrade? :naughty:

Janks

Pope Janks
Jan 7, 2010
Calgary

Who would you suggest we look at trading one of our overrated D prospects for then? If they’re overrated we’d likely have to trade a few of them for a decent winger (or a further combination of picks+roster players).

I’d imagine Tre likely looked at upgrading at wing and thought the price was too steep. I’d rather a GM do that, that trade away all our young prospects to appease people who don’t think about the long term of the club.

The short sightedness of this board amazes me. Our key pieces are 20-27 for the most part locked into long term deals, let’s not blow our assets prematurely when we have time.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Positives:

- thank god Tre missed out on Kane, dude does nothing away from Eichel and is a headcase
- did not trade Bennett for a Canuck or Coyote
- did not trade another first or second rounder

Thats all I got.

Jagrmeister 68proof

Oct 8, 2017
Everyone that hates the Hamonic trade made by BT should realize that as a GM he can only bring the pieces here that would make sense. Now if that pick turns into a lottery pick that is not really BT's fault. It's more so on the players or the coaching staff. I am not sure how you can judge a trade unless you are trading for a fading player. A few trades come to mind when thinking of bad trades. Gilmore trade was really terrible and Phaneuf trade was bad as well. And they were both with Toronto. I feel he brought the right player for the team in Hamonic who is tough to play against. I am not here to support management but not all decisions are dumb. Some may prove to be expensive but that's part of the business in NHL.

Reactions: The Gnome

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Kane didn’t even cost that much, 1st and a 4th. That’s roughly the equivalent to Fox and someone like a Poirier. We should have wheeled, I agree with Kanye.

Reactions: Kanye

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Kane didn’t even cost that much, 1st and a 4th. That’s roughly the equivalent to Fox and someone like a Poirier. We should have wheeled, I agree with Kanye.

Even the 1st isn't a guarantee. It cost the sharks at minimum the 2nd and 4th, but yeah considering the skillset he brings that's not a lot even as a rental for a team willing to go all-in. Unfortunately we're not that kind of team yet.

Reactions: Janks

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Disagree that we should've put our chips on the table. I think Treliving's statement the other day pretty much echoes how I feel about it - why blow money on rentals or big pieces when you a) have limited assets and b) are sitting outside of a playoff spot?

Tre thought the window was opening this year and clearly admits at this point that's not the case. We'll see a big move in the offseason when prices are down a little, and it will likely be a hockey trade to upgrade RW. My guess is one of the names that's been kicked around for a while gets moved, packaged with either Stone or Andersson. He is correct in asserting now is not the time for the Flames to buy.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The fact that Treliving wouldn't move any of his good prospects for quick "fixes" suggests this board isn't overrating anything.

If anything, I'd say fans in general tend to underrate Flames players given how cheaply they seem to try selling them.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
The fact that Treliving wouldn't move any of his good prospects for quick "fixes" suggests this board isn't overrating anything.

We dont know that...maybe he offered and nobody wanted them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->