GDT: Trade Deadline

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Stastny to the Jets, wow, that came outta no where. Jets stocking up for a cup run.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Wow.

Standing pat without a 1st round pick and on the bubble.

What a disappointment. Treliving really screwed up with that Hamonic trade.

On the other hand, Flames do not have that 1st round pick unless they make a trade with Isles. Sucks of course if it turns out to be lottery pick, but spending more assets to get help does not bring that pick back to Flames.

djpatm

Feb 2, 2010
Calgary
I know the sunk cost just hurts.

It's a disaster if they miss the playoffs. If they can't swap one of the D prospects and Bennett/Ferland/Brodie for some scoring help, it'll be tough to make it I think.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Actually super surprised that Stastny deal was kept under wraps. He had to waive for it go through and I never read a peep or even a sniff about it.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I wouldn't be surprise if we claimed Stewart for insurance/leverage.. Treliving can now claim he's not AS desperate as yesterday

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I see Stewart fitting in our system about as well as Brouwer has. He's a good locker room guy and he came for free so there's no risk I guess.

Reactions: tmurfin

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Only injured Ferland and Versteeg absent for practice, not surprised there.

HFBoards is weak af

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I guess Stewart is better than Brouwer (although GG will never take him out) and Hathaway but I don't think he does much to move the needle in terms of likelihood to make the play-offs.

If it means that Brouwer finally sits or we are out on Kane then it is a win for that but otherwise seems like a pretty meh move at best.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Stewart is definitely not better than Brouwer. He's roughly the same level as Stajan or Lazar, but with a bit more offense traded for their defense.

As long as he becomes our 13th as soon as we get Ferland or Versteeg back, I'm fine with it. I'm not sure this move really makes us any better.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I guess Stewart is better than Brouwer (although GG will never take him out) and Hathaway but I don't think he does much to move the needle in terms of likelihood to make the play-offs.

If it means that Brouwer finally sits or we are out on Kane then it is a win for that but otherwise seems like a pretty meh move at best.

Could simply be injury/depth insurance, especially if Versteeg is slow coming back.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Stewart is definitely not better than Brouwer. He's roughly the same level as Stajan or Lazar, but with a bit more offense traded for their defense.

As long as he becomes our 13th as soon as we get Ferland or Versteeg back, I'm fine with it. I'm not sure this move really makes us any better.

He can also be a real mean SOB to play against when he wants to be, something I've never seen and always wanted from Brouwer

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Conroy:

Stewart can play up and down the lineup? (Uh oh)

Treliving apparently wants to make a hockey deal because he has no picks

Smith is closer than we thought

Reactions: tmurfin

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Conroy talking about not trading picks lines up with an earlier report this week that Buffalo might be willing to take prospects instead of picks for Kane, the day is still young my friends.

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017

Depends what Stewart we’re getting. A motivated Stewart can be an effective third liner. The one we’ve seen over the past 2-3 years is a fringe player. I’m hoping a fresh start coupled with a sense of pride from being waived gets him going

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
You can't waive players after the deadline, correct? If that's true, I'd assume this move likely means Ferland is out for the rest of the season.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016

This makes me feel a bit better, then. With word that Steeger is coming back too I have to wonder what their plan is. Either we make a quantity for quality deal that involves multiple roster players or they're just gonna waive Stewart again once we have both Ferland and Versteeg.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
This makes me feel a bit better, then. With word that Steeger is coming back too I have to wonder what their plan is. Either we make a quantity for quality deal that involves multiple roster players or they're just gonna waive Stewart again once we have both Ferland and Versteeg.

No roster limit after today, so no worries

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Conroy did say they want to add to their core so I think they're trying to move lesser prospects and picks for some longterm fix but teams aren't biting.

Treliving moved his first because he had players like Andersson and Valimaki and Kylington in the pipeline. He can't move those guys as well without seriously hurting the future.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->