GDT: Trade Deadline

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I think Melker Karlsson would be a better option than Kane. No chance San Jose deals with us though, it probably begins and ends with Bennett.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
As far as I know Kane doesn't play RW? Where is he going to play?
Keep Bennett on the top line. Kane can play LW with Jankowski and Ferland.

That said, I don't believe the Flames are looking at Kane. I think Okposo and Pominville are more likely targets.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I think Melker Karlsson would be a better option than Kane. No chance San Jose deals with us though, it probably begins and ends with Bennett.

I'm not even high on Bennett and I'd still say that's an exorbitant amount for a guy who'd be our 4C. Treliving laughs and hangs up the phone on that one.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
I'm not even high on Bennett and I'd still say that's an exorbitant amount for a guy who'd be our 4C. Treliving laughs and hangs up the phone on that one.

Melker is listed as a right wing and a right shot. They would have to add a 4th or something, but it isn't that far off value wise. You have to consider our team needs.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Melker is listed as a right wing and a right shot. They would have to add a 4th or something, but it isn't that far off value wise. You have to consider our team needs.

A former 4OA for a bottom six guy is pretty lopsided regardless of his handedness. Bennett still has an outside shot at being a high-end player, with Karlsson what you see is what you get.

He's more or less just Brouwer but young and on a fair contract, I don't really see him making the Flames any better

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
Some people hate that deals happen the couple days before Deadline but I like it. I like having a week of news and things happening more than a few hours

Reactions: Dack

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
A former 4OA for a bottom six guy is pretty lopsided regardless of his handedness. Bennett still has an outside shot at being a high-end player, with Karlsson what you see is what you get.

He's more or less just Brouwer but young and on a fair contract, I don't really see him making the Flames any better

Karlsson can actually score goals. If he is healthy, I believe he is every bit as good as Bennett. PLUS he fits a team need.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Karlsson can actually score goals. If he is healthy, I believe he is every bit as good as Bennett. PLUS he fits a team need.

I would agree that he's roughly as good as Bennett is NOW, but Bennett is also 21 and only in his third year of pro hockey, he still has time to turn into a top six player. Karlsson is a career grinder. He's a bottom six guy who scores goals, sure - but he's not going much further than where he already is.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
The more I think about adding Kane, the more I think I’m actually kind of okay with it. A Kane who’s “on” combined with what Tkachuk is becoming is gonna make the Flames a very hard team to play against. Plus we all know what he can do offensively.

Sure you have the attitude thing to account for and there’s really no way to predict how that turns out but from a hockey perspective, the Flames really have everything to gain from adding a game breaker like Kane.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Evander Kane, a guy who barely can break 40 points a season, is a game breaker?

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
The only way I’d be happy with Kane is if the value is good and Treliving somehow gets Brouwer going the other way

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The more I think about adding Kane, the more I think I’m actually kind of okay with it. A Kane who’s “on” combined with what Tkachuk is becoming is gonna make the Flames a very hard team to play against. Plus we all know what he can do offensively.

Sure you have the attitude thing to account for and there’s really no way to predict how that turns out but from a hockey perspective, the Flames really have everything to gain from adding a game breaker like Kane.

Logic. Gotta love it.

Reactions: Deebious

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

I can't disagree and with where we are in the standings, the risk might be worth the potential reward

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I can't disagree and with where we are in the standings, the risk might be worth the potential reward

If Kane ran a puppy nursery in his free time, he would be the premier add this deadline. As good as Hoffman is and he can score, Kane is close to as good a skater. His shot is around the same caliber. The difference is Kane is harder player to play against. He’s an elite fighter although rarely does it anymore, but he’s a agitator and uses his big frame better than anyone on our current roster. If he catches fire here down the stretch, yes he could be the game changer Deebious is describing.

Plus he has a money phone, I mean not everyone has one of those.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The problem with Kane isn’t that he won’t be helpful to the team on the ice. The problem is that at some point down the line he will do something (or several) stupid and either cause a problem in the locker room, and/or create a situation where we have to trade him.

How do we know these hypothetical event/s will occur? It’s not uncommon for young millionaires to do stupid things. I hear all the time from respected vets out of the game that if social media was around when they younger they would have constantly been in trouble. I’d like to think and give people the benefit of the doubt they can change. If the worst thing can is done lately is practice to hard, I can handle that.

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Keep Bennett on the top line. Kane can play LW with Jankowski and Ferland.

That said, I don't believe the Flames are looking at Kane. I think Okposo and Pominville are more likely targets.

Okposo has a worse contract than Brouwer, and there's not many players in the NHL you can say that about

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
How do we know these hypothetical event/s will occur? It’s not uncommon for young millionaires to do stupid things. I hear all the time from respected vets out of the game that if social media was around when they younger they would have constantly been in trouble. I’d like to think and give people the benefit of the doubt they can change. If the worst thing can is done lately is practice to hard, I can handle that.

I think the worst things he's done lately are the sexual assaults.

Mr Snrub

Oct 12, 2016
Okposo has a worse contract than Brouwer, and there's not many players in the NHL you can say that about

Maybe in total dollar amount, but year by year he is not that overpaid.

I'd love to add Okposo if we could get him for a reasonable price.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad