Trade Deadline Thread | 2/26 3PM

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Fire Jarmo immediately. Why in the hell did he not trade JJ? There is 0 reason to extend him and acquiring 2 more dmen in the last week makes him completely expendable.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I'm upset they didn't sell and I am very confused about the direction. Jarmo said no rentals, no trading a first, and they wanted to get players to help them in the future. Unless they plan on signing Letestu and Cole (which I can see) I don't see this helping us in the future.

Vanek is probably a one and done. He doesn't really make sense with our glut of forwards. I know he can score, but I don't see him producing more than Bjorkstrand. Now that I think of it, I think this deal is an indictment of what they feel about Bjorkstrand and Atkinson's play and production this year.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
In the schadenfreude department:

* * *​
Fire Jarmo immediately.
Because managing three very good depth pickups - two of which were absolute ripoff deals in our favor - and keeping everything even distantly resembling a quality future (including our 1st) is utterly meaningless, yet not trading our own depth away is a firing-worthy offense.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Fire Jarmo immediately. Why in the hell did he not trade JJ? There is 0 reason to extend him and acquiring 2 more dmen in the last week makes him completely expendable.
These moves make a few things clear to me:
-Making the playoffs, even though they probably won't go far, is very important to management. To me, that is extremely important to both player and fan morale going into next season, and probably important with signing Panarin. For that, they needed all the firepower they could get (including keeping JJ), and these moves increased our depth.
-Keeping JJ might be a sign in their trust in Murray to stay healthy.
-They have high, high hopes for Dubois next year.
-They will try to make a bigger move in the offseason, whether it's a trade for a center or signing a decent UFA.

-For those complaining about losing Hartnell, Gagner, and Karlsson in one offseason- Vanek can easily take the role Hartsy had last year, Letestu can take a role similar to Gagner, especially on the powerplay, and Cole solidifies the D. The center depth is still an issue of course. As someone who wants this team to make the playoffs, I'm very happy with what we got, and what we gave up for it.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
These moves make a few things clear to me:
-Making the playoffs, even though they probably won't go far, is very important to management. To me, that is extremely important to both player and fan morale going into next season, and probably important with signing Panarin. For that, they needed all the firepower they could get (including keeping JJ), and these moves increased our depth.
-Keeping JJ might be a sign in their trust in Murray to stay healthy.
-They have high, high hopes for Dubois next year.
-They will try to make a bigger move in the offseason, whether it's a trade for a center or signing a decent UFA.

-For those complaining about losing Hartnell, Gagner, and Karlsson in one offseason- Vanek can easily take the role Hartsy had last year, Letestu can take a role similar to Gagner, especially on the powerplay, and Cole solidifies the D. The center depth is still an issue of course. As someone who wants this team to make the playoffs, I'm very happy with what we got, and what we gave up for it.
I agree with everything you said except the center depth. I REALLY don't see that as a problem, there's 6 centers dressed if Sedlak is playing. While Jenner isn't the best center, he's damn good on the dot. And Wennberg and PLD are VERY good at the positioning of playing center, just not the faceoff aspect of it.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Tampa Bay went big...getting McDonagh and JT Miller for one pretty good roster player, a couple of picks (that will be low end of the round) and 2 prospects. I live an hour away from Tampa. I'm adopting them as my second team.

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
Improved the team for this seasons playoff push even if only slightly. Didn't give up much to get it done. They have some veteran depth now that can provide more help than they had with enough to withstand an injury or two. Beats seeing Jokinen, Gerbe and Hannakainen in the lineup. Don't understand the angst from some here but I'm not surprised.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I'm upset they didn't sell and I am very confused about the direction. Jarmo said no rentals, no trading a first, and they wanted to get players to help them in the future. Unless they plan on signing Letestu and Cole (which I can see) I don't see this helping us in the future.

Vanek is probably a one and done. He doesn't really make sense with our glut of forwards. I know he can score, but I don't see him producing more than Bjorkstrand. Now that I think of it, I think this deal is an indictment of what they feel about Bjorkstrand and Atkinson's play and production this year.
Jarmo is stubborn about his assessment of players. See what he said about Ian Cole, a guy he drafted and likes.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Tampa Bay went big...getting McDonagh and JT Miller for one pretty good roster player, a couple of picks (that will be low end of the round) and 2 prospects. I live an hour away from Tampa. I'm adopting them as my second team.
Well, you've got it covered either way. I only have one way out - when the Jackets take out TBL in the first round,

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
Heck if Vanek can still put the puck in the back of the net consistently, I would talk to him about an extension. In effect we get a 20 game trial run to see how he does. I am disappointed if Kukan does not get to see anymore ice time this year. I think he will be very important next year.

Reactions: Jackets Fan

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011

Or a acknowledgment that Jenner, Calvert, Sedlak, Dubi, BeerMan, and the Cleveland fire drill brigade can't score....and Wenny isn't (I left out Nick because I see his offense rebounding a bit).

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
I think it's fair to say the jackets be a better team after the recent moves. The 4th line looks like a real NHL line, the D is now crazy deep which is crucial for the playoffs and we picked up a player who is only behind Panarin in points for pieces who shouldn't even be in the NHL.

They aren't sexy moves but they are moves that will make this team better.

Also I think the key point for Jarmo not getting any rentals was that he didn't want to mortgage the future for rentals. The pieces we did get aren't going to hamper our future in any way shape or form. Unless like a few have mentioned if Motte turns into a 1st liner somewhere.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
FB_IMG_1519688878034.jpg

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

lol, good one... Oh wait, you're serious?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->