Trade deadline || Offseason plans tread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
With the season all but over despite more than half of it left to play, share your complete TD/offseason plans according to the direction you’d like to see this team take from now on. Mine’s simple; embrace the youth movement like most of the best teams in the league have. Speed and skill, speed and skill, speed and skill. No more emphasis on character, intangibles and veteran leadership.

Some are more than others (Dorion), but everyone in the organization, from the owner to the players, is responsible for this mess. So make everyone accountable for once. It’s been 10 years. First out of the door are Dorion and Boucher as well as all the coaches, assistant coaches and training staff. Hire a competent, experienced, winning GM-coach combo for some stability (Dean Lombardi & Darryl Sutter for example), let them rebuild the front office and from there, trade on.​

1. TD move -- Mike Hoffman to ANA for Sam Steele + Jacob Larsson + ANA 2019 1st round pick
Hoffman and his capfriendly contract go to a team in need of a legitimate top 6 LW where he’s set up to have great success playing alongside of Getzlaf/Henrique/Kesler. The Ducks pay a steep price, but remove nothing from their starting lineup, load up for a few cup runs and still have a great prospect pool featuring the likes of Josh Mahura/Max Jones/2018 1st/etc.. Sens get a top forward prospect, a young defender with potential to be the best piece coming back and a bottom half 1st round pick in what looks to be a good draft next year.

Hoffman - Getzlaf - Rakell
Eaves - Henrique - Perry
Cogliano - Kesler - Silfverberg
Ritchie - Vermette - Kase
Grant

Fowler - Manson
Lindholm - Montour
Beauchemin - Bieksa
Welinski

Gibson
Miller

2. TD move -- Dion Phaneuf @3.5M (50% salary retained) to LA for Kurtis MacDermid + LAK 2018 1st round pick + LAK 2019 2nd round pick
LA showed interest before, but contract was obviously an issue. They get a legitimate to 4 Dman being paid high end bottom pairing dman money to shore up their core. Sens eat 9.25M over 3 years in real dollars to get out of Dion’s contract, but get legitimate assets for it in return. Macdermid is a project on D, a late 1st in an extremely deep draft and a 2nd next year in what’s looking like another good one.

Iafallo - Kopitar - Brown
Pearson - Carter - Toffoli
Lewis - Kempe - Gaborik
Jokinen - Shore - Mitchell
Brodzinski

Muzzin - Doughty
Phaneuf - Martinez
Forbort - Fatenberg
Gravel

Quick
Kuemper

3. TD move -- Derick Brassard + Fredrik Claesson to Columbus for Ryan Murray + CBJ 2018 1st round pick
Brassard returns to his former team, a cup contender in need of a solid center. In exchange, the Sens get what’s sure to be a bottom half 1st round pick as well as a player once thought of as a great up and coming defensive minded two-way D. Murray has obviously struggled to remain healthy so far in his career and hasn’t found his groove in a bottom pairing role on a deep Columbus blueline, but at only 24yo, there’s still time for him.

Panarin - Wennberg - Anderson
Atkinson - Brassard - Foligno
Jenner - Dubois - Bjorkstrand
Milano - Dubinski - Calvert
Sedlak

Werenski - Jones
Johnson - Savard
Claesson - Nutivaara
Carlsson

Bobrovsky
Korpisalo

4. TD move -- JG Pageau + Zack Smith @1.625M (50% salary retained) to Pittsburgh for Carl Hagelin (cap dump) + Daniel Sprong + PIT 2019 1st round pick
Pittsburgh gets an all purpose, heart and soul, defensively sound, playoff proven JG Pageau as their long-term 3C as well as a versatile top 9 forward on a great contract due to retention in Smith. Pittsburgh also unloads Hagelin who has looked lost on the ice on a nightly basis ever since the HBK line was disassembled. In exchange, Ottawa gets a great scoring prospect and a 1st round pick next year as the Pens likely won’t want to gamble this year’s, being on the outside looking in.

Sheary - Crosby - Guentzel
Smith - Malkin - Kessel
Rust - Pageau - Hornqvist
Reaves - Sheahan - Rowney
Kuhnhackl

Dumoulin - Letang
Maataa - Schultz
Cole - Hunwick
Oleksiak

Murray
Jarry

5. TD move -- Craig Anderson to NYI for Jaroslav Halak + NYI 2019 3rd round pick
The Isles take a cheap stab (assets wise) at an aging, but better goaltender than Halak who they certainly aren’t resigning. Sens get out of Anderson’s extension and look to either run with Condon, give a chance to their young guys (Hogberg, Driedger) or find answers outside of the organization (Philipp Grubauer, Aaron Dell, Petr Mrazek, etc.).

Lee - Tavares - Bailey
Ladd - Barzal - Eberle
Beauvillier - Nelson - Ho-Sang
Chimera - Cizikas - Clutterbuck
Prince

Leddy - Boychuck
De Haan - Pelech
Mayfield - Pulock
Seidenberg/Hickey

Anderson
Greiss​

6. Johnny Oduya, Alex Burrows & Gabriel Dumont -- for 5-7th round picks to any team looking for depth or waived.

OFFSEASON

1. Draft Svechnikov/Tkachuk with OTT’s 2018 1st, which will likely be a top 5 pick. Draft the best players available with the LAK & CBJ 1sts
2. Erik Karlsson extended for 8 years @ 11M
3. Mark Stone extended for 8 years @ 7M
4. Matt Duchene extended for 7 years @ 6.5M
5. Cody Ceci extended for 6 years @ 3.75M
6. Ryan Murray extended for 1 year @ 3.25M (1 year prove it deal to get a long term extension)
7. Nick Paul extended for 2 years @ 1M
8. Kurtis Macdermid extended for 2 years @ 900K
9. Chris Wideman, Jaroslav Halak - released
10. Evander Kane signed in free agency for 7 years @ 6M
11. Philipp Grubauer acquired from Washington for Ben Harpur + LAK 2019 2nd round pick, extended for 2 years @ 2.5M
12. Svechnikov/Tkachuk signed for 3 years @ 925K on a max ELC

2018 -2019 starting lineup:

Tkachuk - Duchene - Stone
Kane - White - Ryan
Hagelin - Chlapik - Sprong
Paul - Thompson - Dzingel
Pyatt

Murray - Karlsson
Chabot - Ceci
MacDermid - Jaros
Boro

Grubauer
Condon​

Roster:
59.8M (team cap hit) + 3.5M (Phaneuf) + 1.625M (Smith) + 4.65M (MacArthur) = 69.575M

2018: OTT, LAK, CBJ 1sts -- 2019: OTT (sent to Colorado), ANA, PIT 1sts
Jacob Larsson, Sam Steele, Logan Brown, Drake Batherson, Alex Formenton, Max Lajoie, etc. to the AHL/junior leagues

Countyourdions

Feb 28, 2017
The best plan would be to fire Dorion as soon as possible and bring someone from outside the organization to run the deadline, value what we have and prepare for the offseason and next year already.
Our organization will continue to run with Dorion until it's too late. We never seem to get the timing right. And it has costed us before and will cost us again.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
The best plan would be to fire Dorion as soon as possible and bring someone from outside the organization to run the deadline, value what we have and prepare for the offseason and next year already.
Our organization will continue to run with Dorion until it's too late. We never seem to get the timing right. And it has costed us before and will cost us again.

How often do GM’s get fired midseason? I can’t remember a time that it happened off the top of my head.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I would love for the team to somehow move Ryan and Phaneuf. It would be hard, but as long as we get a smaller contract in return (or even just a meh pick or prospect), it'll be worth in in the long run.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I would love for the team to somehow move Ryan and Phaneuf. It would be hard, but as long as we get a smaller contract in return (or even just a meh pick or prospect), it'll be worth in in the long run.

Quick, forward this suggestion to Pierre Dorion, I don't think he has even considered this .......

iu

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010

Yeah cause those moves are likely lol

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Ambitious really.

As much as we need an experienced GM we fire Dorion and hire who? Melnyk won't dish out money to hire someone competent and I don't have faith Dorion would be the right candidate to handle any sort of rebuild.

It's a tough reality

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Ambitious really.

As much as we need an experienced GM we fire Dorion and hire who? Melnyk won't dish out money to hire someone competent and I don't have faith Dorion would be the right candidate to handle any sort of rebuild.

It's a tough reality
Yep,need a new owner far far before anything else really

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

I’d love to marry a supermodel. Doesn’t mean it’s likely to happen.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
lol, I'd argue it would be easier to move Phaneuf/Ryan than anyone here marrying a supermodel. :laugh:

Hell, at this point, find a way to move one of those guys, and it's a big win for us.

I think we can only do it if we retain money or take a bad contract back. Will we be willing to retain money?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I think we can only do it if we retain money or take a bad contract back. Will we be willing to retain money?

I don't have the cap rules in front of me, but I wonder if the team would be willing to take a semi-bad contract (like a 3 mil guy who is borderline NHLer) in a Phaneuf/Ryan trade and move that contract to Belleville, if that would help the cap (not sure what percentage of NHL contracts count for guys in the AHL). Opens up room in Ottawa, and would help Belleville. Of course, it means Scrooge would have to shell out more real money...

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
Imo, move any player over the age of 28-30, the key is to not let the young guys get into the lineup for the rest of the year and weaken by way of mobile high pace hockey our likely top draft pick so you have to replace these guys on the roster with AHL level vet players and not the good spects. If forced to graduate some of the good young guys shelter them with very minimal minutes. Boucher needs to stay to further the tank by playing our 4th and 5th lines as if they are the first and continue to give our slowest d top crucial minutes, this will assure a top pick.

In the offseason continue to cut the fat, slice and dice the management and coaching staff in favour of one with a modern understanding of how the NHL works and evolves and pray for new ownership to buyout phaneuf and burrows.

Re-sign EK, draft Rasmus and get Chabot in there full time and then search for a #1 goalie and build upfront moving forward.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Good thread idea. The sad reality of the terrible contracts on our team is that we'll likely have to suck them up and keep them or attach quality picks with them in order for other teams to take them. I don't see any chance we'll retain salary in order to trade them with our current ownership.

I also would like to sign all the players you mentioned above. I'm doubtful Ceci will sign for such a low cap hit considering the role we've put him in, but if he did, that'd be fantastic.

I'd also love to draft Tkachuck if we miss out on Dahlin, in my limited viewings of him, he's looked great!

Also agreed with trying to trade any and all spare parts for mid-late draft picks. This organization has done so well with these types of picks so gathering multiple selections would be fantastic.

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016
Hey Puikiou, I really appreciate the work you put into the OP.

Some of the trades actually make a lot of sense (i.e. 1, 3, 4 , 5); the others are a little ambitious. How in the world are we supposed to procure a 1st (lol) and a 2nd from LA when it's unlikely that very many teams will be bidding on Phaneuf and they know that we desperately need to get rid of him? Even at 50% retained we'd be lucky to get a mid-round pick and a C prospect for him. He's that bad, even at $3.5.

I'd love to get Ryan Murray here though. I know he gets a lot of shit and he has issues staying healthy but I think he'd be a great partner for EK.

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
Hey Puikiou, I really appreciate the work you put into the OP.

Some of the trades actually make a lot of sense (i.e. 1, 3, 4 , 5); the others are a little ambitious. How in the world are we supposed to procure a 1st (lol) and a 2nd from LA when it's unlikely that very many teams will be bidding on Phaneuf and they know that we desperately need to get rid of him? Even at 50% retained we'd be lucky to get a mid-round pick and a C prospect for him. He's that bad, even at $3.5.

I'd love to get Ryan Murray here though. I know he gets a lot of **** and he has issues staying healthy but I think he'd be a great partner for EK.

Hey WadeRedden, thanks for the feedback, it’s much appreciated!

The Phaneuf proposal was based on 4 of the most recent moves for veteran Dmen on middling contracts dollar wise.

Alexei Emelin for 2019 3rd -- 4.1M for 1 year
Marc Methot for Dylan Ferguson + 2020 2nd -- 4.9M for 2 years
Travis Hamonic + 2019 4th for 2019 1st + 2019 2nd + 2019 2nd -- 3.85M for 3 years
Niklas Hjalmarsson for Conor Murphy + Laurent Dauphin -- 4.1M for 2 years

In comparison, Phaneuf would come in at 3.5M for 3 years for the purposes of this scenario. He’s a player that consistently plays 18-23 mins a game in all situations, consistently puts up 30 points a season and comes in with all the professionalism/intangibles you’d expect from a former team captain. The only red flags are: his cap hit (which we’ve significantly lowered) and subpar foot speed (which is not what he’s renowned for in the first place; slow has been his MO since the Leafs days).

Now let’s directly compare Phaneuf at 3.5M to the aforementioned players and their trade returns.

Emelin vs Phaneuf
- It’s not close. Phaneuf is better in every possible way. Emelin is a legitimate bottom pairing Dman that can fill in a top 4. Phaneuf is a legitimate #3 on a good team and a great #4 on a stacked team. At 4.1M, Emelin is widely considered to be overpaid in the hockey world, hence the low trade return. At 3.5M, Phaneuf would be one of the league’s bargain -- role, minutes and point production all considered. Think of it this way. If Dion Phaneuf hits free agency tomorrow, there’s no way he’s not worth 5M to multiple teams on a 3 years term (heck, the Sens might even be in on it! :sarcasm::laugh:).

Methot vs Phaneuf - It’s closer, but again, Phaneuf would probably be considered better overall given his role, minutes and point production. In this case, Methot would be making 1.4M more and be on an expiring contract vs 3 years of term.

Hamonic vs Phaneuf - I think is the closest comparable. Same term, similar money, better production from Phaneuf, but much younger is Hamonic. This comparison is the one the suggested return in the OP hinges on.

Hjalmarsson vs Phaneuf - See Marc Methot.

With all that being said, I agree that I might have been too generous in the OP with a 1st AND a 2nd, but I’ll maintain that if Dion Phaneuf is traded at 3.5x3, at least a 1st round pick or 2nd + very good prospect would/should be coming back.

Oh and I definitely think that out of the ‘’low cost’’ D-men that might be available, Ryan Murray would be the best fit for Erik Karlsson age, IQ and playing style wise. Could see that pairing being tremendous actually.

Anyways, happy new year to you (and everybody else) & thanks again for the feedback!

Puikiou

Oct 15, 2013
Unrealistic trades. But thing that make me laugh:
5. Cody Ceci extended for 6 years @ 3.75M

David Savard 4.25M x5yrs
Oskar Klefbon 4.16M x 7yrs
Adam Larsson 4.16M x 6yrs
Jonas Brodin 4.16M x 6yrs
Damon Severson 4.16M x 6yrs
Brian Dumoulin 4.1M x 6yrs
Olli Maatta 4.08M x 6yrs
Connor Murphy 3.85M x 6yrs
Etc.

What’s so funny about Cody Ceci at 3.75M x 6yrs when overall, he produces slightly lesser results in a similar role than most of those players?

WadeRedden

Feb 24, 2016

The Phaneuf proposal was based on 4 of the most recent moves for veteran Dmen on middling contracts dollar wise.

Travis Hamonic + 2019 4th for 2019 1st + 2019 2nd + 2019 2nd -- 3.85M for 3 years

In comparison, Phaneuf would come in at 3.5M for 3 years for the purposes of this scenario. He’s a player that consistently plays 18-23 mins a game in all situations, consistently puts up 30 points a season and comes in with all the professionalism/intangibles you’d expect from a former team captain. The only red flags are: his cap hit (which we’ve significantly lowered) and subpar foot speed (which is not what he’s renowned for in the first place; slow has been his MO since the Leafs days).

Now let’s directly compare Phaneuf at 3.5M to the aforementioned players and their trade returns.

Emelin vs Phaneuf
- It’s not close. Phaneuf is better in every possible way. Emelin is a legitimate bottom pairing Dman that can fill in a top 4. Phaneuf is a legitimate #3 on a good team and a great #4 on a stacked team. At 4.1M, Emelin is widely considered to be overpaid in the hockey world, hence the low trade return. At 3.5M, Phaneuf would be one of the league’s bargain -- role, minutes and point production all considered. Think of it this way. If Dion Phaneuf hits free agency tomorrow, there’s no way he’s not worth 5M to multiple teams on a 3 years term (heck, the Sens might even be in on it! :sarcasm::laugh:).

Methot vs Phaneuf - It’s closer, but again, Phaneuf would probably be considered better overall given his role, minutes and point production. In this case, Methot would be making 1.4M more and be on an expiring contract vs 3 years of term.

Hamonic vs Phaneuf - I think is the closest comparable. Same term, similar money, better production from Phaneuf, but much younger is Hamonic. This comparison is the one the suggested return in the OP hinges on.

With all that being said, I agree that I might have been too generous in the OP with a 1st AND a 2nd, but I’ll maintain that if Dion Phaneuf is traded at 3.5x3, at least a 1st round pick or 2nd + very good prospect would/should be coming back.

Oh and I definitely think that out of the ‘’low cost’’ D-men that might be available, Ryan Murray would be the best fit for Erik Karlsson age, IQ and playing style wise. Could see that pairing being tremendous actually.

Anyways, happy new year to you (and everybody else) & thanks again for the feedback!

You keep saying things like "Phaneuf is a legitimate #3 on a good team and a great #4 on a stacked team." That's based on what, exactly? He's an atrocious #4 on one of the worst teams in the entire NHL. I'm too pressed for time to look it up right now, but I'm pretty sure he's in like the bottom 10% of the league when it comes to a lot of the advanced stats. Maybe someone more knowledgable than me could post those numbers in here.

People are always pushing this narrative that he's a top-4 cause he gets lots of minutes, but he gets absolutely hammered when he's out on the ice. I mean, he doesn't even pass the 'eye test' at this point.

You and I will just have to agree to disagree, but I highly doubt there will be many teams lining up to take a shot at him with 3.5 years left on his deal, even at 50% retained. You also forgot to mention that he has a NTC and can block trades to certain teams. That makes an already small market even smaller. Good luck trying to pry a 1st or a 2nd when there might only be one team bidding on him. I think you'll look back on this post years from now and see that I was right. There's no getting rid of the guy at this stage of the game.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You keep saying things like "Phaneuf is a legitimate #3 on a good team and a great #4 on a stacked team." That's based on what, exactly? He's an atrocious #4 on one of the worst teams in the entire NHL. I'm too pressed for time to look it up right now, but I'm pretty sure he's in like the bottom 10% of the league when it comes to a lot of the advanced stats. Maybe someone more knowledgable than me could post those numbers in here.

People are always pushing this narrative that he's a top-4 cause he gets lots of minutes, but he gets absolutely hammered when he's out on the ice. I mean, he doesn't even pass the 'eye test' at this point.

You and I will just have to agree to disagree, but I highly doubt there will be many teams lining up to take a shot at him with 3.5 years left on his deal, even at 50% retained. You also forgot to mention that he has a NTC and can block trades to certain teams. That makes an already small market even smaller. Good luck trying to pry a 1st or a 2nd when there might only be one team bidding on him. I think you'll look back on this post years from now and see that I was right. There's no getting rid of the guy at this stage of the game.

But he's being played as a #3 not a #4 on Ottawa. You can't possibly think that Claesson or Oduya have been used as our #3, can you?

Honestly, he's miscast right now. I'm not sure he's a great #4 on a contender, like the other poster is suggesting, but I do know that as a #3 on a terrible team, he's slotted above where he should be.

Ideally, he's not used in a shutdown role. Too bad Karlsson hasn't been the same and we have no d pair that can succeed in that role right now.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Emelin vs Phaneuf

The only hangup is this team's willingness to eat half of Phaneuf's contract...

Having said that, if we retain 50% of Phaneuf's salary, to break even we need to be able to replace his mins for roughly a 4 mil per season average. That's probably doable, particularly if we're more looking for a better stylistic fit rather than someone who is better in a vacuum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->