GDT: Trade Day Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I have been thinking about Bjustad and 1st Rd draft pick vs Pacioretty and maybe it isn't such bad course to go.

Pacioretty must want out. And it's probably time for a change...Losing Plekanec didn't hurt that much.

I think the team still needs a #1 centre to insulate Drouin, and I still insist on Stastny, whose production would not be such a drop as to merit the crazy $15 million per year offer Tavares is going to get. The $8 million in cap space saved on the 2nd best UFA centre would get some good pieces.

I think Bjustad has several things going for him. Younger than Pacioretty. Right handed. Can play centre. Extremely strong, a presence in front of the net. Stastny and Bjustad would instantly change the Canadiens from a small, soft team to a strong one. He also hails from Minnesota, like Lindgren, and was a former teammate of Reilly at U of Minnesota. Easy to integrate into the locker room.

I'd look at playing him with Lehkonen and Drouin on a 2nd line. Size would give Drouin more space, and if teams tried to match up their best defensive centres against JD, as he has been overmatched on the road, Julien could easily switch the positions around, so that say Bergeron wouldn't draw Drouin, but Bjustad.

Galchenyuk-Stastny-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Drouin-Bjustad
Hudon-Danault-Sherbak
Byron-(PK leader)-Shaw
Deslauriers, Rose ou Fraise

With another centre, you start to have versatility, can move players around for different looks.

(To Be Acquired)-Weber
Reilly-Petry
Alzner-Juulsen
One of Valiev or Benn

With Mete getting some development in the minors, to become even better, and provide quality depth.

Add another 1st Rd pick, with a 2/3 year maturity window. The team will start to look very strong by 2020, and if Primeau is the real deal, maybe move Price or let him be drafted by Seattle.

Last edited:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I have been thinking about Bjustad and 1st Rd draft pick vs Pacioretty and maybe it isn't such bad course to go.

Pacioretty must want out. And it's probably time for a change...Losing Plekanec didn't hurt that much.

I think the team still needs a #1 centre to insulate Drouin, and I still insist on Stastny, whose production would not be such a drop as to merit the crazy $15 million per year offer Tavares is going to get. The $8 million in cap space saved on the 2nd best UFA centre would get some good pieces.

I think Bjustad has several things going for him. Younger than Pacioretty. Right handed. Can play centre. Extremely strong, a presence in front of the net. Stastny and Bjustad would instantly change the Canadiens from a small, soft team to a strong one. He also hails from Minnesota, like Lindgren, and was a former teammate of Reilly at U of Minnesota. Easy to integrate into the locker room.

I'd look at playing him with Lehkonen and Drouin on a 2nd line. Size would give Drouin more space, and if teams tried to match up their best defensive centres against JD, as he has been overmatched on the road, Julien could easily switch the positions around, so that say Bergeron wouldn't draw Drouin, but Bjustad.

Galchenyuk-Stastny-Gallagher
Lehkonen-Drouin-Bjustad
Hudon-Danault-Sherbak
Byron-(PK leader)-Shaw
Deslauriers, Rose ou Fraise

With another centre, you start to have versatility, can move players around for different looks.

(To Be Acquired)-Weber
Reilly-Petry
Alzner-Juulsen
One of Valiev or Benn

With Mete getting some development in the minors, to become even better, and provide quality depth.

Add another 1st Rd pick, with a 2/3 year maturity window. The team will start to look very strong by 2020, and if Primeau is the real deal, maybe move Price or let him be drafted by Seattle.

For what its worth, aside from the Panther fan who posted on our board about Bjugstad being decent, the Florida board wants Bjugstad gone as they just dont like his play.

Personally, the guy has been on the league long enough that if he had top 6 ability we should see that. So for me him and a 1st is a no go.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I refuse to believe Bergevin was offered a package including Borgstrom and refused.

Even if its true, I dont care I dont want to know.

All I want to know is that negotiations are rekindled with whoever it is was serious about acquiring Pacioretty. We may be a only a few months from finding out.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
All I want to know is that negotiations are rekindled with whoever it is was serious about acquiring Pacioretty. We may be a only a few months from finding out.

You bet. I am guessing there is some fire with the smoke on Patches being interested in Florida.

Lets face it, Patches really feels everything being thrown at him and I think he would be good with leaving and signing off with a team he would like to play with if the money is right.

While I dont know when contracts can be discussed, ideally he and another team , Florida lets say, work out a contract and we trade him to that team , and getting as full value as we can. We need the C prospect in there as part of the package. Hopefully someone that at keast has a chance to play this season, because that sounds as if MB requires at least that.

It keeps coming back to Florida. Borgstrom, Bjugstad and a 1st. Borgstrom possibly could play next season. While Bjugstad does not look that good, perhaps he could at least play centre for the time being if need be.

Reactions: Runner77

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
I refuse to believe Bergevin was offered a package including Borgstrom and refused.

Even if its true, I dont care I dont want to know.

Tallon said that a few teams wanted to acquire Borgstrom but they dont want to trade him.

This summer i would try to do this:

1- Price vs RNH and Talbot

2-Sign Tavares or trade for Oreilly

3-Trade Pax for a young top 4 Def

4- Get rid of Schlemko,Benn

You trade Price and Pax who are the main part of that rotten core and you settle your c-line for the next 8-10years... Not an easy task but doable.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Tallon said that a few teams wanted to acquire Borgstrom but they dont want to trade him.

This summer i would try to do this:

1- Price vs RNH and Talbot

2-Sign Tavares or trade for Oreilly

3-Trade Pax for a young top 4 Def

4- Get rid of Schlemko,Benn

You trade Price and Pax who are the main part of that rotten core and you settle your c-line for the next 8-10years... Not an easy task but doable.

Tavares/Price is a both or none situation. There is 0% (not even 0.001%) of landing Tavares if we trade Price in my opinion.

A HUGE selling point for Tavares will be playing with a goalie like Price because he believes that's a path to the cup. (doesn't matter if you agree with that assessment or not, but we're counting that Tavares will - but without Price we have nothing to attract him).

So no, this won't work.

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
Tavares/Price is a both or none situation. There is 0% (not even 0.001%) of landing Tavares if we trade Price in my opinion.

A HUGE selling point for Tavares will be playing with a goalie like Price because he believes that's a path to the cup. (doesn't matter if you agree with that assessment or not, but we're counting that Tavares will - but without Price we have nothing to attract him).

So no, this won't work.

Im not convice that Price is THAT important to get Tavares to sign here but if thats the case and you can indeed find a way to sign Tavares than you keep Price. Step 2 you trade Pax for RNH or sign Stastny as a stop gap till Poehling is ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad