tourney mvp/all star team

Status
Not open for further replies.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
So what if he has a bias to black players, his right to want the minority players in the NHL to grow and gain more respect, just like we alll want our team's prospects to reach their potential.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
ax²+bx+c said:
that's true. And he's very annoying.

What's wrong with that, when I was younger, there wasn't alot of black players to look up to growing up, which probably had alot to do with me playing basketball instead of hockey, even though hockey is my #1 sport, so like he, I am too biased whenever a top flight prospect such as Anthony Stewart does well, or when Shawn Belle was picked in the 1st round, you shouldn't make comments like that when you haven't been on the other side of the fence...

Back on topic -

Tournament MVP - Alexander Ovechkin

1st all star team

Bergeron - Crosby- Ovechkin
Phaneuf - Mezaros

2nd all star team

Stewart - Carter - Kostitsyn (a bit of a homer pick, but it's not a stretch)
Suter - Fransson

Sammy*

littleHossa said:
So what if he has a bias to black players, his right to want the minority players in the NHL to grow and gain more respect, just like we alll want our team's prospects to reach their potential.
I dunno, if I had a bias towards white guys I am pretty sure what people would call me.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Sammy said:
I dunno, if I had a bias towards white guys I am pretty sure what people would call me.

Well pretty much every prospect you talk about is white, so I guess that makes you biased too? does it not?

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
neg marron said:
name the players from each team worthy of the honors

for canada it's a toss up from stewart,(o'sullivan /usa) crosby, dawes, and an outside shot with belle and carter

now who else is worthy from all the wjc's teams

Since Carter made the 1st all-star team last year, and very well could have been MVP if Canada didn't gag up in the 3rd period, I'd say he has more than an outside shot.

Sammy*

417 TO MTL said:
Well pretty much every prospect you talk about is white, so I guess that makes you biased too? does it not?
Ah, but I am not biased towards them cause they are white, it just happens to be I talk about mauinly white prospects because that is the color of the vast majority of prospects skins.
Not too difficult to understand, now is it?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Sammy said:
Ah, but I am not biased towards them cause they are white, it just happens to be I talk about mauinly white prospects because that is the color of the vast majority of prospects skins.
Not too difficult to understand, now is it?

Then it shouldn't be too difficult to understand the logic that because they're are so few black players in hockey in general, when one is able to make a name for himself, a la Anthony Stewart or Shawn Belle, fans such as myself and Neg Marron, tend to be a llittle bias, what's wrong with that, i'm sure if there were 200 more black players in hockey today, we wouldn't be as biased, again, what's wrong with being proud of the few black players that do play and play well? what if the situation was the other way around?

Sammy*

417 TO MTL said:
Then it shouldn't be too difficult to understand the logic that because they're are so few black players in hockey in general, when one is able to make a name for himself, a la Anthony Stewart or Shawn Belle, fans such as myself and Neg Marron, tend to be a llittle bias, what's wrong with that, i'm sure if there were 200 more black players in hockey today, we wouldn't be as biased, again, what's wrong with being proud of the few black players that do play and play well? what if the situation was the other way around?
I dunno, , I just think if I think someone is picking players to be on All Star teams cause of the color of their skin, its not exactly a good thing.
Thats just me though.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Sammy said:
I dunno, , I just think if I think someone is picking players to be on All Star teams cause of the color of their skin, its not exactly a good thing.
Thats just me though.

Well exactly you don't know... i don't want to elaborate on this anymore really, it's touching on issues of race, and those are always no no's...but trust me, if the situation was reversed, you would be singing a different song, I don't know if you watch basketball, but for example, do you see how proud canadians are of Steve Nash, a white guy from Canada dominating in a league that's dominated mostly by african americans, and why is that?

1. Because he's canadian
2.You just don't see many white players dominate like Steve Nash or Dirk Nowitzky does in the NBA anymore, last guy was probably Larry Bird...

So don't give me that crap...

As for the players he chose to make the all star team, is it really a stretch to think that Nigel Dawes, Anthony Stewart or Shawn Belle could make the all star team, all returning players, they all play a major role on the team...

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
417 TO MTL said:
Well exactly you don't know... i don't want to elaborate on this anymore really, it's touching on issues of race, and those are always no no's...but trust me, if the situation was reversed, you would be singing a different song, I don't know if you watch basketball, but for example, do you see how proud canadians are of Steve Nash, a white guy from Canada dominating in a league that's dominated mostly by african americans, and why is that?

1. Because he's canadian
2.You just don't see many white players dominate like Steve Nash or Dirk Nowitzky does in the NBA anymore, last guy was probably Larry Bird...

So don't give me that crap...

As for the players he chose to make the all star team, is it really a stretch to think that Nigel Dawes, Anthony Stewart or Shawn Belle could make the all star team, all returning players, they all play a major role on the team...

Easy there big fella. I think anyone who names Belle as a potential All star in this tournement is a little biased.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Chelios said:
Easy there big fella. I think anyone who names Belle as a potential All star in this tournement is a little biased.

whatever, this is dumb, :shakehead somejust don't understand

Fedz

Sponsor
Jul 18, 2003
Behind the Bench
Breaking away from this crazy Black|White Prospect talk, and actually talking about this thread, here are my predictions for the 2004 WJC tourney:

F Alexander Ovechkin
F Patrice Bergeron
F Sidney Crosby
D Dion Phaneuf
D Ryan Suter
G Jaroslav Halak

3 CAN
1 RUS
1 USA
1 SVK

neg marron

Mar 1, 2002
gatineau quebec
www.rds.ca
gretzky

Sammy said:
No doubt about that.
be smart relax think about the situation being reversed for one second and better yet think of the impact gretzky had as in my opinion the greatest athlete i've ever seen jordan can't compare now imagine if gretzky was born black i'm going to say if he was we would not be having this discussion at all
btw my favorite players of late have been iginla of course along with brandon reid , simon gamache, st.louis, lecavalier, crosby and nate robinson

might i suggest reading "a fly in a pail of milk" the herb carnegie story as well a "too colourfull for the league" the cbc documentary about herb carnegie :hockey: :cheers: :habs

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Fedz said:
Breaking away from this crazy Black|White Prospect talk, and actually talking about this thread, here are my predictions for the 2004 WJC tourney:

F Alexander Ovechkin
F Patrice Bergeron
F Sidney Crosby
D Dion Phaneuf
D Ryan Suter
G Jaroslav Halak

3 CAN
1 RUS
1 USA
1 SVK

The other picks I can see ..but G Jaroslav Halak ?? ...I have never seen a goalie start the Tourney with 7 goals against and be named an All-Star .. That would be some comeback and then you have his country finishing out of the medals to boot .. the top goalie is often named as a result of the Gold medal game result and performance ..

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
The Messenger said:
The other picks I can see ..but G Jaroslav Halak ?? ...I have never seen a goalie start the Tourney with 7 goals against and be named an All-Star .. That would be some comeback and then you have his country finishing out of the medals to boot .. the top goalie is often named as a result of the Gold medal game result and performance ..
I agree no Halak for me. I'll predict Schwartz even though i'm not his biggest fan. The Czechs are under the radar and should medal this time.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
neg marron said:
be smart relax think about the situation being reversed for one second and better yet think of the impact gretzky had as in my opinion the greatest athlete i've ever seen jordan can't compare now imagine if gretzky was born black i'm going to say if he was we would not be having this discussion at all
btw my favorite players of late have been iginla of course along with brandon reid , simon gamache, st.louis, lecavalier, crosby and nate robinson

might i suggest reading "a fly in a pail of milk" the herb carnegie story as well a "too colourfull for the league" the cbc documentary about herb carnegie :hockey: :cheers: :habs
Wow, breaking news, a black guy, no a black hockey fan talks up black, or on occasion aboriginal hockey players. neg, that's really offending me that you want to cheer on the players that you identify most with. Next, I'm going to find those damn Quebec Boston fans who keep promoting Bergeron. OOh, I'm pissed. I'd talk up the Irish guys but Owen Nolan's a Leaf and once we get past him....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->