Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Per TSN here's the tourney awards:

Most Valuable Player - Carey Price, G, Canada

All-star team

Goaltender: Carey Price, Canada

Defencemen: Erik Johnson, U.S., Kristopher Letang, Canada.

Forward: Alexei Cherepanov, Russia; Patrick Kane, U.S.; Jonathan Toews, Canada.

IIHF Best Player Awards

Defenceman: Erik Johnson, U.S.

Forward: Alexei Cherepanov, Russia

Joretus

Otherwise I would agree with that, but don't know about Kane...

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Per TSN here's the tourney awards:

Most Valuable Player - Carey Price, G, Canada

All-star team

Defencemen: Erik Johnson, U.S., Kristopher Letang, Canada.

Forward: Alexei Cherepanov, Russia; Patrick Kane, U.S.; Jonathan Toews, Canada.

IIHF Best Player Awards

Defenceman: Erik Johnson, U.S.

Forward: Alexei Cherepanov, Russia

Where exactly was the best forward and for most of the gold medal game, oh thats right, either losing the puck or sitting on the bench while Glovatsky and Kucheryavenko took his spot on the first line and powerplay. A great performance for a 17-year-old, but I personally feel that at least the best forward award was underserved. Jonathan Toews should have probably won it, and even if they had to spread the awards around, I don't believe that Cherepanov was the most essential forward to Russia's success.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Jonathan Toews should have probably won it, and even if they had to spread the awards around, I don't believe that Cherepanov was the most essential forward to Russia's success.
Yeah, I would agree with you here. Toews played his best hockey when he needed to, in the semifinals and the finals. It's to hard to justify picking Cherepanov over Kane, even, let alone Toews.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Great job leaving off the tournament's real leading scorer.

CapsWolverinesUSA

Jan 3, 2007
Surprised Letang got the nod over Staal, personally. Both were awesome (as was Russell, for that matter). But I would have taken Staal.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
What the red horse they gave ? Id like to get details.

I'm also wondering what's in the boxes given to the MVP's. A watch i guess? :dunno:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I would have taken Kris Russell (and Erik Johnson), but good choices nonetheless.

joe sacco

Sep 30, 2005
I think Toews was clearly the best forward in the tournament. While others played very well, not many forwards were counted on as much as Toews. Key faceoffs, penalty kills, powerplay, the shootouts. This guy was far and away the best forward on the best team. While others put up better numbers, this award should not go to the leading scorer. In saying this I will acknowledge that I did not see Cherepanov play as much as Toews (just the semi-final and final). Simply put, Canada would not have won without Toews.

As for the defenseman, I think that any Letang or Staal would both have been good choices. I'm more inclined to choose Staal for how well he played defensively in every single game, but by no means will I argue it.

joe sacco

Sep 30, 2005
I should also add that I think Jack Johnson was the best overall defenseman I saw in the tournament, despite not putting up the gaudy numbers his teammate, Erik Johnson did.

Haute Couture

Feb 27, 2002
Bay of Pigs
Visit site
By all accounts, Russia has actually played like a team this year. Therefore it wouldn't at all be a problem if no one in particular would be specially rewarded from the Russian team. Toews had a great tournament..

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Great job leaving off the tournament's real leading scorer.

Who cares how many points Lindgren had. His own coach said three players on his own team were better than him (Osala, Lehtonen, Laakso).

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Where exactly was the best forward and for most of the gold medal game, oh thats right, either losing the puck or sitting on the bench while Glovatsky and Kucheryavenko took his spot on the first line and powerplay. A great performance for a 17-year-old, but I personally feel that at least the best forward award was underserved. Jonathan Toews should have probably won it, and even if they had to spread the awards around, I don't believe that Cherepanov was the most essential forward to Russia's success.

I see what you meant about Cherepanov from the other thread, though Makarov really wasn't much of a factor today either. On the one PP when he tried to take the puck through all 4 Canadian defenders, I really wasn't sure what he was thinking. A 17 year old's mentality, I suppose.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
I would've taken Parent or Russell for the all-star team instead of Letang, whose performance I thought ranged from average to horrible. IMO, Parent was Canada's best.

Joretus

Who cares how many points Lindgren had. His own coach said three players on his own team were better than him (Osala, Lehtonen, Laakso).

His coach couldn't even control his team, so I wouldn't give any kind of value about his sayings. Btw. where did he say so? Just curious since ie. Laakso took so much stupid penalties any coach shouldn't be praising him too much after that. Lindgren were only player creating constantly chances for team mates, while Osala&Lehtonen did create chances, but mostly just for themselfs.

Joretus

Yeah he did a great job getting his team that 6th place finish.

I'm still asking same question as before, is allstars and player awards about team? So if you are only good one in your team(ie. Kopitar in Slovenia) should he NEVER get any kind of awards since his team is so bad? So NHL should never give any of bottom team players any kind of awards either. Kopitar nor Malkin shouldn't be considered top rookies nor Sid top forward, since Pens&Kings are so bad. "Great job not getting his team even to playoffs". Or Ovechkin shouldn't have been Calder winner last year since Caps were so bad.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
His coach couldn't even control his team, so I wouldn't give any kind of value about his sayings. Btw. where did he say so? Just curious since ie. Laakso took so much stupid penalties any coach shouldn't be praising him too much after that. Lindgren were only player creating constantly chances for team mates, while Osala&Lehtonen did create chances, but mostly just for themselfs.

The IIHF website has a list at the U20 homepage where the coach of each team named thier top three players.

dieseleric

Aug 17, 2006
I'm still asking same question as before, is allstars and player awards about team? So if you are only good one in your team(ie. Kopitar in Slovenia) should he NEVER get any kind of awards since his team is so bad? So NHL should never give any of bottom team players any kind of awards either. Kopitar nor Malkin shouldn't be considered top rookies nor Sid top forward, since Pens&Kings are so bad. "Great job not getting his team even to playoffs". Or Ovechkin shouldn't have been Calder winner last year since Caps were so bad.

I see what you are saying, but looking at the stats, Lindgren scored 10 pts. 4 of these came in a game against Switzerland, a team that didn't qualify for the quarterfinals (a weaker team). He got 3 in the round robin game vs. the Czechs (5th place team) and 2 in the 5th place game . He got 1 against Belarus. In there two games versus Russia and the United States (top 4 teams), Lindgren had 0 points.

Lehtonen got 10 points also. 2 versus Belarus, 2 versus Czechs (first game), 2 versus Swiss, 2 versus Czechs (second game). In there two games versus Russia and the United States (top 4 teams), Lehtonen had 2 assists versus the US.

So do either of these two players deserve spots over Toews, Kane or Cherepanov as top performers in the tournament cause they can light up weaker teams?

Joretus

I see what you are saying, but looking at the stats, Lindgren scored 10 pts. 4 of these came in a game against Switzerland, a team that didn't qualify for the quarterfinals (a weaker team). He got 3 in the round robin game vs. the Czechs (5th place team) and 2 in the 5th place game . He got 1 against Belarus. In there two games versus Russia and the United States (top 4 teams), Lindgren had 0 points.

Lehtonen got 10 points also. 2 versus Belarus, 2 versus Czechs (first game), 2 versus Swiss, 2 versus Czechs (second game). In there two games versus Russia and the United States (top 4 teams), Lehtonen had 2 assists versus the US.

So do either of these two players deserve spots over Toews, Kane or Cherepanov as top performers in the tournament cause they can light up weaker teams?

Actually Lindgren should had 11points, don't know why they missed his point against USA. He got the puck to Lehtonen, which passed to Osala who scored. So there goes that out.

Ie. Kane had 0+1 against Germany, 2+1 against Slovakia, 1+1(in two games) against Sweden and 1+2 against that pathetic Finland. Against Canada 0+0. So with one game more still total one fewer than Lindgren(actually two few than Lindgren, but anyway)&Lehtonen.

Cherepanov had 1+1 against Cze, 0+1 against Belarussia, 1+1 Swiss, 2+0 against Finland, 1+0 Sweden and against Canada 0+0. Total 8points, and against top-3 opponent(from which teams were 4th and 6th) 3points. That's hardly nothing special and still he were forward of the tournament.

So in that light no I wouldn't so it wouldn't have been too wrong to have either one of three fins in the allstars, since their lineup combined with Laakso scored 14 of Finland's 18 goals.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Yeah he did a great job getting his team that 6th place finish.

So punish him because he doesn't have the talent around him(like Toews does) yet managed to outscore everyone else in the tournament? Punish him because he was the main cog on a one line team, yet still managed to outscore everyone in the tournament? Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

dieseleric

Aug 17, 2006
Actually Lindgren should had 11points, don't know why they missed his point against USA. He got the puck to Lehtonen, which passed to Osala who scored. So there goes that out.

Ie. Kane had 0+1 against Germany, 2+1 against Slovakia, 1+1(in two games) against Sweden and 1+2 against that pathetic Finland. Against Canada 0+0. So with one game more still total one fewer than Lindgren(actually two few than Lindgren, but anyway)&Lehtonen.

Cherepanov had 1+1 against Cze, 0+1 against Belarussia, 1+1 Swiss, 2+0 against Finland, 1+0 Sweden and against Canada 0+0. Total 8points, and against top-3 opponent(from which teams were 4th and 6th) 3points. That's hardly nothing special and still he were forward of the tournament.

So in that light no I wouldn't so it wouldn't have been too wrong to have either one of three fins in the allstars, since their lineup combined with Laakso scored 14 of Finland's 18 goals.

I was using that argument more for Toews, and I believe that even though Cherepanov disappeared in the final, he deserved a spot...I agree for the third spot it could have been Kane, or either of the Finns...or even Felix Schutz who had 5 goals and 3 assists for the Germans

I guess the thing is in this kind of tournament, teams that place higher will always end up having more players on all-star teams, winning awards, etc. It is not a knock against those Finnish players who played well for a weaker team, but accomplishments of players on the stronger teams are noticed more. Maybe Canada had the deepest or most talented team in the tournament, does that not mean that their leading scorer and a guy who scores 3 goals in a shootout to push them through to the finals, as well as probably their best player in the final game, deserves a spot on the all-star team, even though he has three less points then a player from the 6th place team.

Joretus

I was using that argument more for Toews, and I believe that even though Cherepanov disappeared in the final, he deserved a spot...I agree for the third spot it could have been Kane, or either of the Finns...or even Felix Schutz who had 5 goals and 3 assists for the Germans

I guess the thing is in this kind of tournament, teams that place higher will always end up having more players on all-star teams, winning awards, etc. It is not a knock against those Finnish players who played well for a weaker team, but accomplishments of players on the stronger teams are noticed more. Maybe Canada had the deepest or most talented team in the tournament, does that not mean that their leading scorer and a guy who scores 3 goals in a shootout to push them through to the finals, as well as probably their best player in the final game, deserves a spot on the all-star team, even though he has three less points then a player from the 6th place team.

I know it will be that way and I don't have any problem with this picks, since I know it already before they published it. It's always same thing.

And for me Toews were true leader of the offensive corps of the Canada, while they were clearly best team and best depth, he still raised his game when it did matter. So I wouldn't have pulled him out anyway.

Just wanted to point out that it's not completly insane to raise some good player(s) to spotlight from weaker teams if they are raising their teams level, etc. You could twist it this way, since Finland were 6th with actually just 4 players producing some kind of offense(Laakso being the 4th one from the line) what Finland would have been without ie. Lindgren. Not that you will ever get any kind of answer, but anyway enough of this. Time to wait for U-18's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->