Tournament all-star team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I've only seen 2 Russian games so far, along with stats, but someone has to explain to me why Vorobiev is getting so much mention as an all-star dman. granted i've seen weber play every game, but i don't see how he can be left off the team in place of vorobiev.

Sammy*

Kritty said:
I've only seen 2 Russian games so far, along with stats, but someone has to explain to me why Vorobiev is getting so much mention as an all-star dman. granted i've seen weber play every game, but i don't see how he can be left off the team in place of vorobiev.
Oh, didnt you see his last game where he got 4 assists. That was about the most dominating performance the WJC has ever seen (and in a 7-2 game no less).
And oh, I almost forgot.
He was drafted by Toronto.

Last edited by a moderator:

All Star United

Mar 1, 2002
Liverpool
Kritty said:
I have to say I'm pretty surprised. There is not a single mention of Shea Weber as an all-star dman.

Exactly what I was thinking. I really think it should be an all-canadian defense. Look at the number of shots against Canada. Glass can say thanks to his defensemen.

Both Phaneuf and Weber logged almost 30 minutes every game. They were used in all situations. They both deserve to be names on the all-star team.

leafaholix*

Sammy said:
Oh, didnt you see his last game where he got 4 assists. That was about the most dominating performance the WJC has ever seen (and in a 7-2 game no less).
And oh, I almost forgot.
He was drafted by Toronto.
There are 12 non-Leaf fans that picked him to the all-star team in this thread.

Phaneuf*

F Patrice Bergeron
F Alexander Ovechkin
F Jeff Carter
D Dion Phaneuf
D Andrej Meszaros
G Marek Schwarz

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I wouldn't complain if Weber or Vorobiev joined Phaneuf as the top two defensemen in this tourney, but Ryan Suter wouldn't be out of place either. He's the top scoring D-man in this event, and is only one of two or three D-men on the U.S. squad that appeared to have a clue in their own end. PLEASE DON'T HOLD THE PLAY OF JEFF LIKENS AGAINST HIM!!!

leafaholix*

Rabid Ranger said:
I wouldn't complain if Weber or Vorobiev joined Phaneuf as the top two defensemen in this tourney, but Ryan Suter wouldn't be out of place either. He's the top scoring D-man in this event, and is only one of two or three D-men on the U.S. squad that appeared to have a clue in their own end. PLEASE DON'T HOLD THE PLAY OF JEFF LIKENS AGAINST HIM!!!
Likens blows.

For a little while prior to the tournament I was curious why nobody signed or drafted him.

Now I know.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
I root for Russia yet i would NEVER put Vorobiev on this list. He has been solid, yet he is not noticeable in some games. His numbers are VERY deceiving because this is a short tournament. Also, he plays behind the Ovechkin line usually and so it doesnt take much for him to get assists or even a good plus/minus. But in terms of his actual PLAY, he hasnt done anything special.
Phaneuf is a given and then it gets a bit tough to judge. I do feel that Suter has stood out for USA. He has been GREAT on the PP and his assists are noticeable...he trully influences goals and often gets the key assist. He has been very solid on defense, much better than his -2 would show.

My all-star team:

F: OVECHKIN, CROSBY, MALKIN
D: PHANEUF, SUTER
G: KHUDOBIN

Yes, i'm going with Khudobin. He is not the most talented goalie of this tournament, but if not for his play, team Russia would not be in these Finals! He has had to deal with having a rather poor defense in front of him, and he has had to make some really spectacular saves at times.
I'm going with Malkin over guys like Carter and Bergeron not cause of production. The production of the 3 is similar. What makes a difference in my book is that Malkin has had to help out his defense MUCH more than either Carter or Bergeron. Dont get me wrong, Carter and Bergeron are good defensively, they just didnt have to become a 3rd defenseman so much since Canada's D is much more solid than Russia's.

leaflover

Stanley Cup 2022
Mar 3, 2002
beautiful B.C
Visit site
2forsbergaura1 said:
I'm going with Malkin over guys like Carter and Bergeron not cause of production. The production of the 3 is similar. What makes a difference in my book is that Malkin has had to help out his defense MUCH more than either Carter or Bergeron. Dont get me wrong, Carter and Bergeron are good defensively, they just didnt have to become a 3rd defenseman so much since Canada's D is much more solid than Russia's.
So you pick Malkin as the center because Russias defensemen are weak?

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
leaflover said:
So you pick Malkin as the center because Russias d is weak?

No, thats not what i'm saying at all. We are picking an ALL-STAR team for THIS tournament...and in THIS tournament Malkin has done the most for his team on defense...out of crosby, bergeron, malkin. Malkin has been a KEY for Russia offensively and defensively...and thats why i'm picking him.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
This is really hard to pick. You could argue for an all-Canadian all-star team and not be wrong in doing so, but obviously that wouldn't be the case.

Olesz, Ovechkin, Malkin, Shirokov, Bergeron, Carter, Crosby, Salmonsson

Suter, Vorobiev, Phaneuf, Weber

Schwarz, Halak - what a weak field this year

My team:

Olesz, Bergeron, Ovechkin

Phaneuf, Vorobiev

Halak (statistically Schwarz has a better SV% but Slovakia has a weaker team and he did manage 2 shutouts over the tournament)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad