Confirmed with Link: Torpo signed!

JoernAZ

Bluenotes
Oct 19, 2018
And now the squad should be more or less settled. Time to look forward to training camp. Anyone know when it takes place?

Will be highly interesting to see who will be joining (and perform) among the young core. As mentioned in the prospect thread, we for once may have some real potential challengers in the near future. Which again makes the time ahead way more exciting than in previous seasons.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I was wrong. It looks like Hofer is signed through 23-24.

$800k left

How are we able to sign Toro for this amount???

We have too many forwards on the roster right own. Moving one to the AHL will allow us to bring up Hofer

Also teams are allowed to go over the cap in the offseason

Last edited:

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
This actually hasn’t been confirmed yet - hasn’t been registered with the NHL, as Capfriendly still doesn’t show Toropchenko as being signed. I’m sure it’ll get done, but it’s not done yet (officially).

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
This actually hasn’t been confirmed yet - hasn’t been registered with the NHL, as Capfriendly still doesn’t show Toropchenko as being signed. I’m sure it’ll get done, but it’s not done yet (officially).
I mean it's already been confirmed the by Blues

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Good signing! He is one of my favourite players on the roster.
Training camp starts Sept. 22 at Centene.

I have the opposite reaction. This is an overpay. He is the worst player on our roster and my 2nd least favorite to Krug. No hands, no vision and only a middling hockey IQ. He is big and fast but doesn't have the skill to do anything with it.

He has high hits/60 but his hits don't do anything. He doesn't separate people from the puck with his hits. His takeaway/60 is 17th on team among forwards with minimum 100 minutes. He has 4th most in giveaway per 60 among the same forward set, cause you know, stone hands.

He put up some points for us last year but was 15th on team in points per 60 (same set). Alexandrov, Pitlick, Lievo and Blais were all higher (guys making less money or not signed). Logan Brown is close to Toropchenko, a guy people were praying we didn't qualify.

There are at least 12 guys who are significantly better than Toropchenko on our roster, and a couple prospects probably are as well but would do better with more time in the AHL. We could easily have signed Pitlick to ride the pine as a 13th forward for league minimum. He is better than Toropchencko. and would cost $1 million less over 2 years.

It really doesn't help that he talked shit about our players to the media when we were bad. He should have been sent to the AHL for that. Yes we were bad, but you take personal accountability for it, you don't say your teammates are embarrassing when you are a garbage 4th liner.

Reactions: Stealth JD

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
I'm happy with this. We didn't go to arbitration, we got him at a decent price, and he's still going to be a RFA after the end of this contract. What's not to like?

Stupendous Yappi

Idiot Control Now!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
I have the opposite reaction. This is an overpay. He is the worst player on our roster and my 2nd least favorite to Krug. No hands, no vision and only a middling hockey IQ. He is big and fast but doesn't have the skill to do anything with it.

He has high hits/60 but his hits don't do anything. He doesn't separate people from the puck with his hits. His takeaway/60 is 17th on team among forwards with minimum 100 minutes. He has 4th most in giveaway per 60 among the same forward set, cause you know, stone hands.

He put up some points for us last year but was 15th on team in points per 60 (same set). Alexandrov, Pitlick, Lievo and Blais were all higher (guys making less money or not signed). Logan Brown is close to Toropchenko, a guy people were praying we didn't qualify.

There are at least 12 guys who are significantly better than Toropchenko on our roster, and a couple prospects probably are as well but would do better with more time in the AHL. We could easily have signed Pitlick to ride the pine as a 13th forward for league minimum. He is better than Toropchencko. and would cost $1 million less over 2 years.

It really doesn't help that he talked shit about our players to the media when we were bad. He should have been sent to the AHL for that. Yes we were bad, but you take personal accountability for it, you don't say your teammates are embarrassing when you are a garbage 4th liner.
Seems like he’s still developing? I think he may have a bit more to offer, but despite his faux pas, I appreciated a guy who was giving his all and not tolerant of the team playing poorly. There were days last year when the Blues didn’t look ready to compete. If more guys approached the game with Toropchenko’s intensity, not sure that would have happened. But I agree he’s not going to fill a big role either way. He’s already beaten the odds to make it to the NHL ,defying his draft projections.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Not too thrilled with the price either, it’s not a big deal but 1.25 is a bit too much considering Blais got 1 mil, and Sunny got 775K, and they are both much better players than Toro.

Heck even MacEachern at 775K is probably the same caliber as Toropchenko. You wouldn’t really notice which one of them is in the lineup, and that’s an extra 500K we could save.

I guess the Blues are hoping he continues to develop which could make the 2nd year a steal, but overall I’m not seeing why this guy gets any hype.

Reactions: CaliforniaBlues310

Bluesguru

Aug 10, 2014
St. Louis
Not too thrilled with the price either, it’s not a big deal but 1.25 is a bit too much considering Blais got 1 mil, and Sunny got 775K, and they are both much better players than Toro.

Heck even MacEachern at 775K is probably the same caliber as Toropchenko. You wouldn’t really notice which one of them is in the lineup, and that’s an extra 500K we could save.

I guess the Blues are hoping he continues to develop which could make the 2nd year a steal, but overall I’m not seeing why this guy gets any hype.

Not sure you can say they’re better players than Torp. Torp is still on the ascend, whereas the book on Sunny is set and Blais has to prove himself all over again. Torp is a fast skater who shows a lot of promise with top 9 potential.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
Not sure you can say they’re better players than Torp. Torp is still on the ascend, whereas the book on Sunny is set and Blais has to prove himself all over again. Torp is a fast skater who shows a lot of promise with top 9 potential.
Toropchenko is 24, just turned 24 granted, but still he is not some raw prospect with a ton of room left to grow. He does not have top 9 upside. He wasn't even ppg in the OHL. He doesn't have some well of untapped offense. Last season was about the best case scenario for his offense based on his talent.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I see toro as a bottom 6 guy and ideally on the 4th line. His salary is higher than I would like to see, but it’s not high enough that I care much.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
He’s paid about $350K too much, but avoiding arbitration after he put up 10 goals last year was probably for the best cap wise, and with the relationship between the player/front office.

Roster is basically set barring a few decisions with the depth players, unless we have any cap in/cap out hockey trades.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad