Proposal: Toronto - Vancouver

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Like a bad rash this came back and stuck around.

I'm still reading a lot of response to Canucks fans reading like Tanev has demanded a trade to Toronto. Near as we can tell, he's happy here. We have had a number of players expressly request not to be traded, team situation be damned.

I'm more then happy having Tanev for his Leaf fan estimated 30 games in each of his next 4 seasons until he retires from a broken everything at once he receives during a no contact drill. He means more to the team, such as the team is, then a late first and a prospect that doesnt hurt you to move.

All fun and my snarkiness aside, we're cool keeping him to help develop our presently poor crop of future D. I'd feel stronger about Juolevi without jagged defensive edges then about a late pick and Nielsen (Nielson?).

Toronto doesn't have the futures available for trade that we would need to upgrade our team in the future, being later picks and that most of their top talent has graduated very recently, and a vocal minority seem to think Tanev wouldn't upgrade their team enough to merit what we would ask.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
Would the addition of either Sparks or Pickard help grease the wheels in a trade for Tanev?

Sparks:
2017-2018Toronto Maple LeafsNHL0--|
Toronto MarliesAHL431.79.936
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Pickard:
2017-2018Toronto Maple LeafsNHL13.81.857|
Toronto MarliesAHL332.31.918
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Courtesy of CapFriendly.

Maybe as an add in (partial to Pickard as a Thunderbirds fan) but with Demko almost certainly in Vancouver next year the need isn’t huge

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Nah.
At most, Tanev is worth Toronto's 1st (looking to be a decent mid 1st) and an average prospect.
Any more and it's likely an easy pass from Toronto.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Well, it's happened again. Tanev would be a good fit here, no doubt. But he simply can't stay healthy. If he can't stay healthy in the regular season, I lack the confidence he can stay healthy with the demands and rigors of playoff level hockey. That about says it all from the Leafs side of things.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
You either pay the price to get the good players or you pay the price of losing in the playoffs. Nobody in their right mind would’ve picked that defense to win a round. The young Leafs will learn that defense tightens up in the playoffs which exposes their biggest weakness however there are other options than just Tanev. What about Gudbranson for a 1st?
Gudbranson and your first for a first I would consider.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
If he could string together a couple healthy seasons I'm sure Toronto would give up a solid prospect + 1st for him because he fits like a glove, but he hasn't been able to and Vancouver isn't going to give him up for less than that.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If he could string together a couple healthy seasons I'm sure Toronto would give up a solid prospect + 1st for him because he fits like a glove, but he hasn't been able to and Vancouver isn't going to give him up for less than that.

In all fairness though, Vancouver defensemen can't stay healthy here. Keith Ballard and Dan Hamhuis are key examples of this. Both were veritable iron men, and the Canucks just....broke them.

Ohlund, final injury aside, is also evidence of this. Salo too. Adrian Aucoin and Bryan Allen too if we want a more historical perspective. Defensemen gey hurt, but they get hurt a lot more in Vancouver.

It isn't just paranoia on our part.

member 105785

In all fairness though, Vancouver defensemen can't stay healthy here. Keith Ballard and Dan Hamhuis are key examples of this. Both were veritable iron men, and the Canucks just....broke them.

Ohlund, final injury aside, is also evidence of this. Salo too. Adrian Aucoin and Bryan Allen too if we want a more historical perspective. Defensemen gey hurt, but they get hurt a lot more in Vancouver.

It isn't just paranoia on our part.

It's because of the excessive travel schedule, but fans of every other team laugh at that excuse because they don't realize in 2011 playoffs Vancouver's series vs Nashville had more travel than the Bruins first 3 rounds combined

Reactions: Cogburn

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
At one point Tanev had some serious value around the league, even as late as last off-season.

Now........ Not so much, but he would still get a 1st round pick easy

This year absolutely killed his value.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
You either pay the price to get the good players or you pay the price of losing in the playoffs. Nobody in their right mind would’ve picked that defense to win a round. The young Leafs will learn that defense tightens up in the playoffs which exposes their biggest weakness however there are other options than just Tanev. What about Gudbranson for a 1st?

Dude. Come on.

GoodbyeLuongo

Jun 8, 2012
Seattle
The long and short is that Tanev is one of the hardest players to value. When he’s healthy, he’s terrific and worth a lot. The problem of course is that he is not healthy therefore skewing his value. If he was an 82 game player he’s worth at least a first and a good prospect. But he’s not an 82 game player which leaves much to be debated.

Nick1219

Mar 15, 2012
Please ignore this man. He does not speak for Canucks fans.

82Ninety42011

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
Yup only garbage teams make the playoffs and break 100 points.

Desperate fail.
I don't think anyone actually thinks the Leafs are garbage. Quite the contrary they are quite good however the weakness they have is defence. Instead of realizing this and trying to fix it people keep saying sign Tavares and other nonsense. You guys already have Mathews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Marleau and JVR. Not to mention Bozak and Hyman how much scoring does one really need?? Maybe use some of those dollars and get a stay at home defenceman or two. I realize Bozak and JVR are probably gone this summer but even then Leafs still don't need Tavares but an actual dman. Good luck and contrary to some belief all Canucks fans don't hate the Leafs I actually enjoy watching them now very fun team to watch!

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I don't think anyone actually thinks the Leafs are garbage. Quite the contrary they are quite good however the weakness they have is defence. Instead of realizing this and trying to fix it people keep saying sign Tavares and other nonsense. You guys already have Mathews, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Marleau and JVR. Not to mention Bozak and Hyman how much scoring does one really need?? Maybe use some of those dollars and get a stay at home defenceman or two. I realize Bozak and JVR are probably gone this summer but even then Leafs still don't need Tavares but an actual dman. Good luck and contrary to some belief all Canucks fans don't hate the Leafs I actually enjoy watching them now very fun team to watch!

Oh I agree Taveres not what we need, Doughty is. Longshot I'm sure but I have to think Lou will work his way down the list to get reinforcements. I am also sure Tanev is on the list somewhere.

Reactions: Katani Kalan

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
To Toronto: Tanev

To Vancouver: 2018 1st, Kapanen, 2019 4th/change it for any non Liljegren prospect if you feel it isn't enough.

Fair?

How about: Elias Pettersson

For: 2018 1st, Kapanen, 2019 4th/change it for any non Liljegren prospect if you feel it isn't enough.

Fair?

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
It's because of the excessive travel schedule, but fans of every other team laugh at that excuse because they don't realize in 2011 playoffs Vancouver's series vs Nashville had more travel than the Bruins first 3 rounds combined

So your saying Tanev breaks bones & gets concussions in the 2nd half of long flights?

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada

Gudbranson is a salary dump trade....your gonna have to take close to nothing or eat half.

Your GM had too much pride on that signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad