Toronto Star columnist prefers NBA playoffs to NHL

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
joshjull said:
That has nothing to do with it. How can they market their stars in the US? They will never get the coverage of the big three NFL,MLB and NBA. Because the mainstream sporting press in this nation doesn't care much for hockey. Never has and never will.

You can't be serious. In 1994 hockey was on the verge of passing basketball. Heck even recently (i.e. 2002) the Det/Col series was drawing much better ratings than any series since and getting their fair share of NATIONAL press. ESPN even had a series called "The Season" giving a 'behind the scenes look' at the 02-03 Red Wings, and specials such as the "Top 10 Wings/Avs Rivalry Moments". Also the Canada/US Olympic final drew good ratings south of the border as well (the Herb Brooks... possible Miracle on Ice repeat was a great story-line). Also the movie "Miracle" exceeded expectations.

So basically hockey hasn't been a niche sport, but can be classified as ONE right now due to the unfortunate events of the past few years and general incompetence from the powers that be. Again the writing is on the wall. NASCAR, bowling are all preferred by the public to hockey games.

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
joshjull said:
That has nothing to do with it.

It has A LOT to do with it. NO matter how hard you try you simply can't market stars when they don't WIN (quick; pick any sport and rattle off a list of superstars. Chances are most of them have won something). But no one is to blame for this because teams NEED to shut down opposing stars to win in the playoffs; it's the right thing to do, and refs. generally don't give preferential treatment to star players because that's the FAIR thing to do.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
The NHL doesn't do a good job marketing at all. They do the least of the other sports in their marketing department. Stubborn league thinking the game is going to sell itself. Maybe in canada they do not have to market because they do not have competition (for the most part) from the other leagues (cfl not included).

Again, what North American sport isn't niche? Football? Baseball? Basketball? Hockey? All niche!

For the guy who said MLS is a niche sport, no, it is a niche league of the most un-niche sport in the entire world. The only time I seen hockey start off Sportscenter was when sidney crosby scored that Shootout goal against the habs, if that didn't wake up the NHL, I do not know what will. Heck, even Nascar (the most niche sport 10 years ago) has done a great job marketing their stars.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
gscarpenter2002 said:
Nothing like the mention of the NBA to get hockey fans in a snit and their panties in a big wad.

God forbid Feschuk (who is a knob, BTW) might have an opinion contrary to the concept that hockey is the greatest sport EVER or - gasp! - that his opinion might (for once, like a blind squirrel finding an acorn) might have some validity.

Groan.
I have a problem with Feschuk talking about any sport. I am willing to bet he has seen about as much NBA playoff action as Jimmy Hoffa has.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Cruiser008 said:
You can't be serious. In 1994 hockey was on the verge of passing basketball. Heck even recently (i.e. 2002) the Det/Col series was drawing much better ratings than any series since and getting their fair share of NATIONAL press. ESPN even had a series called "The Season" giving a 'behind the scenes look' at the 02-03 Red Wings, and specials such as the "Top 10 Wings/Avs Rivalry Moments". Also the Canada/US Olympic final drew good ratings south of the border as well (the Herb Brooks... possible Miracle on Ice repeat was a great story-line). Also the movie "Miracle" exceeded expectations.

So basically hockey hasn't been a niche sport, but can be classified as ONE right now due to the unfortunate events of the past few years and general incompetence from the powers that be. Again the writing is on the wall. NASCAR, bowling are all preferred by the public to hockey games.

That is a wishful thinking by hockey supporters of the time. The NBA was in a lull and the NHL still couldn't pass it in ratings. Even with one of the best Cup finals. that had one of the best players / personalites Messier and Bure playing. The largest US market etc. The press given to Detroit and Clorado was good but still minor when compared to other sports. The reality is even in US cities where hockey is popular it takes a back seat to one of the other 3 major sports leagues. I wouldn't use the Olympics to bolster your arguement. Apples and Oranges. The FIFA World Cup gets very good ratings in the US but no one watches professional soccer in this country.

Platapie

Oct 25, 2004
I found the first round a tad boring, but the second round NBA matchups were dynamite, far better than what the NHL tossed at us.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
kevin1927 said:
Wow... Basketball and Baseball to me are the most boring sports to watch on tv.

Guess what? More people in america are saying that about Hockey.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
I try to follow NASH, but most of the NBA playoffs are on Score which isn't on basic cable where I live.
Sportsnet and TSN seem to only have NBA playoffs when the Jays/ Mem Cup/ NHL playoffs aren't on.
But then again I'm told Nash is a point guard and I have no idea what that is. :dunno:
Kinda like the defenceman who moves the puck? Or more like a good centre mid-fielder in soccer who distributes the ball?

Last edited:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Alpine said:
I try to follow NASH, but most of the NBA playoffs are on Score which isn't on basic cable where I live.
Sportsnet and TSN seem to only have NBA playoffs when the Jays/ Mem Cup/ NHL playoffs aren't on.
But then again I'm told Nash is a point guard and I have no idea what that is. :dunno:
Kinda like the defenceman who moves the puck? Or more like a good centre mid-fielder in soccer who distributes the ball?

Yeah, like a quarter back.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
PortlandRanger said:
Yeah, like a quarter back.
Sorry, I don't get basketball and I never have. At least in soccer the player with postion gets the advantage, but in basketball he gets called for letting someone run into him because he moved a foot before the ref could count to ten......Sorry like I said I just don't get basketball. I love hockey and I like soccer. Basketball would have to be explained more thoroughly.Which is probablly why basketball ratings are so low in Canada but you don't hear NBA's fans whining about that do you?

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
joshjull said:
That has nothing to do with it. How can they market their stars in the US? They will never get the coverage of the big three NFL,MLB and NBA. Because the mainstream sporting press in this nation doesn't care much for hockey. Never has and never will. They go out of their way to give hockey bad press but do nothing to cover the talent, skill and excitement of the game.Thus making it nearly impossible to break through to what many critics of the league percieve as an acceptable level of interest in the US.The only time the NHL makes major news in the US, is after an embarassing incident. Barry Melrose (whom I usually think is a bit of a tool). Rightly pointed out, How unfair it was that the Bertuzzi incident gets so much coverage in the US. But not a tenth of the coverage of that incident will be giving to the playoffs. The NHL could do better but I don't think they are to blame in this regard.
*CUT*
Is it the press' fault, or would they be reporting what their subscribers/fans care to follow?

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Alpine said:
Sorry, I don't get basketball and I never have. At least in soccer the player with postion gets the advantage, but in basketball he gets called for letting someone run into him because he moved a foot before the ref could count to ten......Sorry like I said I just don't get basketball. I love hockey and I like soccer. Basketball would have to be explained more thoroughly.Which is probablly why basketball ratings are so low in Canada but you don't hear NBA's fans whining about that do you?

There is also one team in canada, so the Canadian ratings for the most part wont matter in terms of the Raptors health. For the NHL, it is in a dire situation in the US and even in Canada (25 % down). I know it must suck for you if your team is in the playoffs and competiting, but it is the truth.

grego

Jan 12, 2005
Saskatchewan
I don't care if TV ratings are low for the NHL. It would only mean that the salary cap would drop.

Now that the NHL has a cap, it really doesn't matter for the health of the game if they make a ton of money off the TV contracts. As long as teams get a healthy draw at the gate, and in many cities they are getting a few fans in.

personally, I leave it up to the US markets to figure out how they will get fans in there.

Platapie

Oct 25, 2004
Which is probablly why basketball ratings are so low in Canada but you don't hear NBA's fans whining about that do you?

Actually, check out big basketball forums, there's plenty of complaining from Toronto Raptor fans about the low ratings etc. We are however pretty good with attendence when the team sucks, and top 1/3rd in the league when the team isn't abysmal.

As for those who "don't care", I find that an incredibly odd argument. Why some of you have no interest in the sport growing is beyond me.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Platapie said:
Actually, check out big basketball forums, there's plenty of complaining from Toronto Raptor fans about the low ratings etc. We are however pretty good with attendence when the team sucks, and top 1/3rd in the league when the team isn't abysmal.

As for those who "don't care", I find that an incredibly odd argument. Why some of you have no interest in the sport growing is beyond me.

Basketball is getting closer and closer to Baseball in this country. The world series and NBA finals have some very compairable numbers as of late. Basketball also is being played in more countries now and is growing everyday. Like platapie said, if you look at a basketball forum called realgm, the number of Raptors fans on that outnumber pretty much the new york knicks or whatever corner stone NBA team by atleast a double. That is probably what HF is to hockey forums, when it comes to basketball.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
It proves nothing to nobody. But sportsnet.ca had a poll to-day asking:
Other than the NHL playoffs, what are you most excited about?
Results when I checked were:
World Cup of Soccer 35%
Memorial Cup 33%
NBA Playoffs 20%
NBA Draft 8%
Bonds homerun chase 5%
I won't tell you how many times I voted for "THE" World Cup ;)

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Alpine said:
It proves nothing to nobody. But sportsnet.ca had a poll to-day asking:
Other than the NHL playoffs, what are you most excited about?
Results when I checked were:
World Cup of Soccer 35%
Memorial Cup 33%
NBA Playoffs 20%
NBA Draft 8%
Bonds homerun chase 5%
I won't tell you how many times I voted for "THE" World Cup ;)

In a similar situation, if ESPN had a poll like that, they would not even have the option for NHL. ;)

If you could vote twice, than that poll is pretty irrelevant.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Alpine said:
Hey, why don't you go to www.sportsnet.ca and vote away then. :wave:

I am a casual NBA fan, more of a baseball fan, but I don't think it is right to bash a sport for whatever reason. If it were indeed irrelevant than it wouldn't be a sport.

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
PortlandRanger said:
I am a casual NBA fan, more of a baseball fan, but I don't think it is right to bash a sport for whatever reason. If it were indeed irrelevant than it wouldn't be a sport.
I'll stop poking at ya, sorry it was fun while it lasted.
I just don't understand basketball anymore than I understand cricket or rugby. Those that like these sports like 'em cuz they like 'em.
Just tired of the constant comparisons of NHL to NBA. In my view NBA to Canada is what NHL is in the States. Except that the NHL tries harder to sell the game south of the border than the NBA does here. So I just don't get the big deal about the NBA anymore than I get the ALL BLACKS of New Zealand being in a big match against England. Those that love it, kewl for them. Enjoy. :handclap:

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Alpine said:
I'll stop poking at ya, sorry it was fun while it lasted.
I just don't understand basketball anymore than I understand cricket or rugby. Those that like these sports like 'em cuz they like 'em.
Just tired of the constant comparisons of NHL to NBA. In my view NBA to Canada is what NHL is in the States. Except that the NHL tries harder to sell the game south of the border than the NBA does here. So I just don't get the big deal about the NBA anymore than I get the ALL BLACKS of New Zealand being in a big match against England. Those that love it, kewl for them. Enjoy. :handclap:

See, that's the thing, you cannot compare the two sports. As for the NBA in Canada. It seems far more in a better state than hockey is in america. Judging by your media coverage and stuff (what I see from sites, and audio streams).

Alpine

Oct 28, 2005
Moncton, NB
PortlandRanger said:
See, that's the thing, you cannot compare the two sports. As for the NBA in Canada. It seems far more in a better state than hockey is in america. Judging by your media coverage and stuff (what I see from sites, and audio streams).
Ahhh, damn you, you got be hook line and sinker........
You see this because of all the NBA players Canada produces? Or the strength of our non-existant Junior league or how even where I live Université de Moncton dropped it's basketball programmes this year because there was a higher demand for women's rugby and men's curling? I'm just not sure where you're going with this?

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
Alpine said:
Ahhh, damn you, you got be hook line and sinker........
You see this because of all the NBA players Canada produces? Or the strength of our non-existant Junior league or how even where I live Université de Moncton dropped it's basketball programmes this year because there was a higher demand for women's rugby and men's curling? I'm just not sure where you're going with this?

Well, I don't know what it is like in Moncton (I wouldn't know where moncton is unless I look at a map) but look at the Fan590 is probably the most known radio station in canada ( in terms of sports) and yesterday there was a lot of basketball talk. That alone tells me there is more interest then there is for hockey in Canada. I listen to streams in New York (since I am a rangers fan) and even in the season when the rangers were playing really well there was more talk about larry brown, the mets, the nets everything except for the Rangers. I am just comparing the two big media markets in both countries. Also on the sports websites in canada basketball is either 2 or 3 in location of tabs, while hockey is like behind nascar or golf over here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->