Prospect Info: Toronto Marlies sign forward Martins Dzierkals to a one-year AHL contract

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Why not. Sink or swim... With JVR, Leo, Bozak, Fehr, Moore and Smith expiring the Leafs might have at least 3 spots available... let him battle.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I think he'll do well in AHL. Players are more structured and vets in the team can help him take his game to the next level

I still believe he has the tools to be an NHLer

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Really like him as a player.

This buys us another year and we'll have more contract room.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It'll be tough for him to make it. Unless someone above him falters, his only shot is really beating out Piccinich for a 4th line spot (and that's assuming Soshnikov is not sent back down).

Most likely he starts on the Solar Bears, but we have him under control for one more year after this anyways, so we can give him a real shot then.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
The AHL contract instead of a ELC is something that speaks to the level of Leafs interest in him. IMO

Prized prospects don't get AHL only deals.

They traded out the 1st round to get him as an extra pick.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The AHL contract instead of a ELC is something that speaks to the level of Leafs interest in him. IMO

They traded out of the first round to get him, Dermott and Bracco.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Believe he has an injury this year too?

Seems like he's got a shot to prove his worth. Strong Marlies season should lead to an ELC if it happens

bobbygore

Jun 27, 2011
Wow. Marlies are going to have a lot of guys from that first Hunter draft this coming year. That is a very good sign. I could see 4 to 5 NHL players coming out of that draft and maybe all of them going pro at some level.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

they do when you're kissing up to 50 contracts.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They traded out of the first round to get him, Dermott and Bracco.

Leafs traded back twice in 2 different deals with 2 different teams remember?.

They traded #24 (Konecny) for #30 & #61(Bracco) with Philly.
&
Then they traded #30 (trading out of the 1st round) for #34 (Dermott) to add pick #68 (Dzierkals) with Arizona.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
they do when you're kissing up to 50 contracts.

Some questionable NHL contracts handed out (like Candy) to Colin Greening, Chris Mueller, Vincent LoVerde as AHL vets to use up some of those 50.

You would think those AHL vets could get AHL deals and then your prospects get ELC contracts.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Some questionable NHL contracts handed out (like Candy) to Colin Greening, Chris Mueller, Vincent LoVerde as AHL vets to use up some of those 50.

You would think those AHL vets could get AHL deals and then your prospects get ELC contracts.

Payday rewards for being professionals. Lou takes care of his guys, whether or not it was a wise decision is another matter however.

I'm still annoyed the Leafs ended up walking way from Toninato because of lack of contract spots

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Leafs traded back twice in 2 different deals with 2 different teams remember?.

They traded #24 (Konecny) for #30 & #61(Bracco) with Philly.
&
Then they traded #30 (trading out of the 1st round) for #34 (Dermott) to add pick #68 (Dzierkals) with Arizona.

They moved back four spots to get an extra pick, which they used on Dzeirkals, because they could get the guy they wanted anyway.

"Traded out of the first round for him" is completely misleading.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Wow. Marlies are going to have a lot of guys from that first Hunter draft this coming year. That is a very good sign. I could see 4 to 5 NHL players coming out of that draft and maybe all of them going pro at some level.

Yup Hunter has been terrific and continues to prove that he is amazing.
The Dermott trade back looks pretty nice now.
In Hunter we trust. This isnt the fake in Nonis we trust movement.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
They moved back four spots to get an extra pick, which they used on Dzeirkals, because they could get the guy they wanted anyway.

It doesnt fit the narrative.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Trading a 1st for 2nd & 3rd = traded out of the 1st round, its not misleading its factual. ;)

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Payday rewards for being professionals. Lou takes care of his guys, whether or not it was a wise decision is another matter however.

I'm still annoyed the Leafs ended up walking way from Toninato because of lack of contract spots

meh. didn't they offer him something before and he was like no, and then the Leafs did their business?

theIceWookie

#LeafHysteriaAlert
Dec 19, 2010
Canada
Trading a 1st for 2nd & 3rd = traded out of the 1st round, its not misleading its factual. ;)

I mean it sort of is. Trading out of the first suggests they weren't in the first. Which isn't factual. They drafted Mather in the first.

They traded another first down for some other picks. That's factual.

And the rest of your comment reeks of someone trying to spin a narrative.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

What makes you think Toninato was released because of lack of contract spots and not another reason?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad