GDT: Toronto Maple Leafs vs. Buffalo Sabres Preseason Game #3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
and that doesn't mean that Spezza wanted to, he just wanted to be at home with his family just like Gio,

no one would claim him if his agent made that possibility clear as the claiming team could waste a selection
Giordano has come out and said this?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
He's a 94 WAR, what is McDavid?

1695929176393.png

tmlfan98

No More Excuses #MarnerOut
Aug 13, 2012
Hockey's Mecca
Connor is +6% more than Lilly, does that evaluation system make sense? I agree that McDavid should be 100% but should a 3rd line D-man have a 94% Wins Above Replacement?
You're misreading the player cards. Liljegren is a 94th percentile 3rd pairing defender, meaning he's one of the best 3rd pair dmen in the league. McDavid is a 100th percentile first liner meaning he's just tops in general.

The Connor McDavid of dmen according to these player cards would be a 100th percentile top pair dman. Liljegren isn't even a 2nd pair guy yet according to these player cards.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Connor is +6% more than Lilly, does that evaluation system make sense? I agree that McDavid should be 100% but should a 3rd line D-man have a 94% Wins Above Replacement?
That's only because you can't go higher than 100% -- he is the rare player that breaks the model.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
No. A solid contribution to the discussion.

I don't disagree, I like most of the moves we've made, but it'll also be nice to be able to play solid defensively too.

Klingberg hasn't been good in a while, but the potential to turn it around is there, so I am okay with it. In this thread, most of my issue is people wanting to drop Gio and play Timmins, not sure it is the best move.

Appreciate the well thought out reply and really don't have too much to add as it is mostly spot on.

My concern is when the other team gets possession and we struggle to break it up.

But defensive is game is not about 1 player or about 1 thing.

I dont see timmins taking gio spot, i see timmins playing with Timmins and bring offensive ability and speed gio cant provide anymore

Klinberg hasn't been good for a while... he was good with minnsota last season...

Whats i like actually

Offensive d- defensive d

Rielly ( off) - brodie (def)
McCabe ( def)- Klinberf ( off)
Gio (def)- Timmins ( off)

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
I kinda think Robertson has one speed hyperdrive and I'm not sure his skills translate at that speed. The good thing is he puts himself in situations where the puck comes to him and/or he generates chances. I think eventually the puck will go in for him but he has options to go to the farm and the fact he has not separated himself yet and he has options, I think he is going down to the farm.
I was talking about Lilj

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
You're misreading the player cards. Liljegren is a 94th percentile 3rd pairing defender, meaning he's one of the best 3rd pair dmen in the league. McDavid is a 100th percentile first liner meaning he's just tops in general.

The Connor McDavid of dmen according to these player cards would be a 100th percentile top pair dman. Liljegren isn't even a 2nd pair guy yet according to these player cards.
This is a really good point. How can you tell from his card how he would rate among 2nd pairings? I'm assuming you probably can't, but just curious.

But just logically, if he's 94th percentile among 3rd pairings, shouldn't he be at least middle-of-the-pack among 2nd pairings?

Interesting topic!

Reactions: stickty111

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
That happens when you only play sparingly due to injuries. Development is delayed. He was regarded as an excellent 2 way defender coming into the draft.

Maybe this is a crazy thought but perhaps him getting more game action maybe, just maybe will get him back to that?

Are we seriously judging him like he's a finished product and can't improve? Especially after missing all that time?
I never said he's a finished product. The post was more about the suggestion he should play over Liljegren which he shouldn't.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
This is a really good point. How can you tell from his card how he would rate among 2nd pairings? I'm assuming you probably can't, but just curious.

But just logically, if he's 94th percentile among 3rd pairings, shouldn't he be at least middle-of-the-pack among 2nd pairings?

Interesting topic!
The first half until the deadline, he was playing really well like a top 4 d man. His game fell off afterwards because Keefe decided to mess with his confidence. He's shown he's capable of playing 2nd pair minutes.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022
That's only because you can't go higher than 100% -- he is the rare player that breaks the model.

Matthews has what WAR? I'm trying to get some context as to what 94% means, it IMO seems like that would be an exceptional player not a 3rd pairing dman.

AHHH OK this makes more sense , he is a great third pairing dman according to this rating system... I could see that as being a reasonable rating. Thanks

Is Timmins rated?

Hellcat

Jul 13, 2022

Interesting topic!

I agree interesting topic. If he is 94 percentile 3rd pairing , wouldn't that mean he would be in the bottom quartile in the 2nd pairing? IMO, 100% would suggest he should be a 2nd pairing, 94% would suggest he should be 2nd pairing but with slightly protected minutes.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad