Post-Game Talk: Toronto Maple Leafs at New York Rangers - February 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Well, Detroit got rid of a good player and we made him a bad player, so we might be worse at this point.

I haven't been following your every post so I don't know if this is sarcasm, but do you not place any responsibility for Smith becoming a bad player on Smith himself? Are we now just discounting the fact that the guy admittedly came into camp out of shape and blaming it on AV (I want AV gone yesterday by the way)?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I haven't been following your every post so I don't know if this is sarcasm, but do you not place any responsibility for Smith becoming a bad player on Smith himself? Are we now just discounting the fact that the guy admittedly came into camp out of shape and blaming it on AV (I want AV gone yesterday by the way)?

Camp was five months ago.

Smith isn't the only one. Every defenseman since AV took over is worse on the Rangers than they are elsewhere, even Girardi.

Reactions: Vinny DeAngelo

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Camp was five months ago.

Smith isn't the only one. Every defenseman since AV took over is worse on the Rangers than they are elsewhere, even Girardi.

I think it's been repeatedly demonstrated that preseason preparation has a significant impact on the whole season. That's kind of the point of working your ass off all season, to make sure that you don't fall off after the grind begins to wear most down.

I completely agree that AV is handicapping these players in multiple ways. That's not on them. Smith's unpreparedness is absolutely on him though.

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
I think it's been repeatedly demonstrated that preseason preparation has a significant impact on the whole season. That's kind of the point of working your ass off all season, to make sure that you don't fall off after the grind begins to wear most down.

I completely agree that AV is handicapping these players in multiple ways. That's not on them. Smith's unpreparedness is absolutely on him though.
Funny because McD is our most fit player

Nopuckluck

Dec 29, 2017
The rangers themselves reporting on the players fitness tests at training camp. It’s why they asked Skjei to join McD in his offseason training, which is ironic because his play has regressed too

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas

I place a lot of the blame on Smith personally, however, I also place some on Gorton on this one because, frankly, Smith should NEVER have been given that contract based on the miniscule sample size it was based on. He wasn’t some young, unknown player who blew us away in a playoff run. He was a known, established players with multiple seasons of absolute mediocrity and poor hockey IQ. Plenty of tools, limited toolbox. He showed up and played his ass off after being traded at the TDL in a contract year. He knew this was going to be the biggest opportunity to cash in of his entire career so he brought his A+ game and fooled Gorton into giving him a pretty large contract. I feel like 90% of the league knew he was going to be a disappointment the second that term and AAV was announced. Simply shouldn’t have happened. The blame is entirely with Smith just not having the focus and drive to be the best player he can be at all times, but somebody didn’t do their full homework. Never let a 25 game sample size in a contract year determine the deal you give a guy for the next four years.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I place a lot of the blame on Smith personally, however, I also place some on Gorton on this one because, frankly, Smith should NEVER have been given that contract based on the miniscule sample size it was based on. He wasn’t some young, unknown player who blew us away in a playoff run. He was a known, established players with multiple seasons of absolute mediocrity and poor hockey IQ. Plenty of tools, limited toolbox. He showed up and played his ass off after being traded at the TDL in a contract year. He knew this was going to be the biggest opportunity to cash in of his entire career so he brought his A+ game and fooled Gorton into giving him a pretty large contract. I feel like 90% of the league knew he was going to be a disappointment the second that term and AAV was announced. Simply shouldn’t have happened. The blame is entirely with Smith just not having the focus and drive to be the best player he can be at all times, but somebody didn’t do their full homework. Never let a 25 game sample size in a contract year determine the deal you give a guy for the next four years.

Yeah it’s sort of a head scratcher with that signing.

Maybe other moves fell through. There are plenty trades that almost happen.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI

Well said..This post is gold.

PS..Thank you for your service, Sir ;)

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
I’ll admit I was fooled. I loved his game in that playoff... wanted him back. Sad really

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I'm, Smith's regression and not getting that "PO Smith" was seriously the single worst thing that happened to this defense. We were COUNTING on him, being that physical defensive leader right behind McD's supposed excellence. Disappointments all the way around. Skeji has been so so.
Shatty was injured supposedly from getgo.
Homestly, Marc's play was the most surprisingly best thing that has happened this year.
For the record, I too was taken in by wanting Smith badly, thought he was just what this defense needed.....maybe he will recover and get his shit together.

Reactions: YearOfTheCat

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
My fear is that AV has management's and front office's ear believing that it's the current players that don't work with his style of play and on-ice systems and they're going to find new players to try and play this way.

That would also place the blame on management, rather than the coach.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Aside from his conditioning issues, I wonder if what we saw at the end of last year from Smith was the result of a player making sure to keep his game simple in an unfamiliar system and now that he's familiar, he's less focused on that.

Reactions: will1066

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
I’ll admit I was fooled. I loved his game in that playoff... wanted him back. Sad really
I'm with you on that. I thought it was a great signing at the time. However, the entire team has been garbage this year so let's hope there's still hope of that good version of Smith showing up again soon or next year.

Reactions: Riche16 and bl02

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Our system is dumb. Every defenseman in our team looks like crap in this system more times than not.

I'm giving Smith a big time pass because of how AWFUL we play.

Yeah, I basically have no opinion on individual defenders at this point.

Reactions: Inferno
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad