OT: Toronto Blue Jays v3.0: MLB Free Agency

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That Jays with a boatload of depth moves with AAA Buffalo in mind the last couple days:

Jays Signed:
LHP - Scott Diamond [29yo]: spent 2015 as a starter in AAA Durham (Rays), has 58 games of MLB experience (Twins: 2011-13) all as a starter. Expected to be a starter in AAA Buffalo.
RHP - Roberto Hernandez [35yo]: spent 2015 as a starter/reliever with the Astros but only played 20 games (started 11), he has 10 years of MLB experience, mostly with the Cleveland Indians. Expected to be a starter in AAA Buffalo.
RHP - Brad Penny [37yo]: spent 2015 as a starter for AAA Charlotte (White Sox), has 14 years of MLB experience, mostly with the Marlins & Dodgers. Expected to be a starter in AAA Buaffalo.
RHP - Scott Copeland [28yo]: re-signed spent 2015 as a starter for AAA Buffalo, has been with the Jays organization for 3 years. Has 5 games of MLB experience (Blue Jays: 2015), 3 as a starter. Expected to be a starter in AAA Buffalo.
LHP - Wade LeBlanc [31yo]: spent 2015 as a starter with Seibu of the Japan Pacific League, he has 7 years of MLB experience, mostly with the Padres as a starter. Expected to compete for a MLB bullpen position.
LHP - Pat McCoy [27yo]: spent 2015 as a reliever between AAA Norfolk and AA Bowie (Orioles), has 14 games of MLB experience (Orioles: 2014) as a reliever. Expected to be reliever in AAA Buffalo.

Jays claimed:
OF - Junior Lake [25yo]: spent 2015 split between the Cubs, Orioles, AAA Iowa (Cubs) and AAA Norfolk (Orioles), played all 3 OF positions but mostly LF. Has 201 games of MLB experience mostly with the Cubs. Career .237 hitter but has good fielding numbers and is a good AAA hitter (.299). Expected to be starting LF/RF in AAA Buffalo.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
*bump*

Apparently the Jays are talking to Fernando Rodney. Dude is old but he was still an all-star closer in 2014.

The Red Mile

Dec 18, 2013
Northern B.C.
What do you guys think of recent trade. We got steller closer in Drew Storen, but had to give up fan favorite in Ben Revere. I like it actually. We dealt from a position of strength with our outfield depth and got exactly what this team needed, a great power arm to close games with Osuna. Pretty sure we will see Sanchez try and join the starting rotation now.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I wish they didn't move Revere, but who else were they going to move, Tulo? I think with the budget they had, a deal like this was inevitable but, I to am sad that Revere is the guy who was shipped out.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Revere was awesome in the 1 hole. On a high note I'm happy they moved him and not Pillar. Still an abundance of OFs on this team. People forget we still have Saunders and Pompey who barely played last year.

Needed another major arm in the pen, and I think they addressed it, the pen looks a lot stronger today than it looked to end last year; at least on paper.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I liked Revere a lot. But this deal makes sense.
The Jays got dominated by the Royals bullpen. It was the difference I. That first series.

Plus we have Dalton Pompey who would also look good in the sage role as Revere. And that Camadain guy that got hurt at the start of last season that was supposed to be the everyday left fielder last year.

This moves Osuna and Sanchez into the 7th and 8th inning. First move by Shapiro I like.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'm actually thinking one of Sanchez or Osuna will start. Jays do have way more depth now, but it would awesome if they had a 2 headed monster on their pitching staff. Maybe Sanchez will be that guy?

I loved Revere and wouldn't be surprised to see the Jays get a replacement for him at some point next season. This is a tough pill to swallow, his defensive abilities were off the charts as well.

Caribou Lou

Mar 16, 2008
Cgy AB
I'm a huge fan of Revere, but this is the first offseason move that makes any real sense to me. With Pompey, Saunders, Pillar and Bautista we have 4 solid outfielders as it is - Revere was unfortunately the odd man out and our pitching really needed another piece.

The only real hole this leaves is in our batting order, Travis is the perfect leadoff guy but I'm not sure we'll see him til May at the earliest (he may still not be at 100% until later) and I'd rather not see Tulo hitting first.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
I think some of you guys are underestimating what Pompey brings to the table. He is a centre fielder. Has elite range defensively and a more powerful arm than Revere. With both Pillar and Pompey in the outfield the Blue Jays can cover a ton of ground, which makes up for the slowish Bautista.

Plus, the guy can steal at will. Much more of a threat on the bases then revere. And he's got more power then Revere.

I have no problem with the moves.

Right now the rotation is looking like Stroman, Estrada, Dickey, Happ, and Chavez. I could see Sanchez or Osuna gaining a start. But right now those guys need to develop better off-speed stuff to be starters IMO. Having a strong bullpen, with strong defence and great hitting is what got the Royals the win.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Storen, Hutch, Delarbar, Cecil, Loup and Sauders all avoided arbitration.

Only players arbitration eligible left to sign are Donaldson and Chavez

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
THE BRINGER OF RAIN HAS RE-SIGNED!!!!!!!! 2 years, leaving another year of team control at the end of the deal.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Jose Bautista contract update:

[paraphrasing]
'Hometown discount' doesn't exist. not in his world.
feels like he's given the org a 5 yr hometown discount already.

looks like Joey Bats wants to get PAID for his next deal.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Jose Bautista contract update:

[paraphrasing]
'Hometown discount' doesn't exist. not in his world.
feels like he's given the org a 5 yr hometown discount already.

looks like Joey Bats wants to get PAID for his next deal.

I think we should sell him for pitching and have for a while. We should have kept Revere and moved Bautista for real pitching help

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada
I think we should sell him for pitching and have for a while. We should have kept Revere and moved Bautista for real pitching help

agreed. we could really use another legit arm. maybe some team that could use a power bat that has some extra pitching to spare??

It still irks me that mgmt wasn't willing to offer up to get Price. :shakehead

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
agreed. we could really use another legit arm. maybe some team that could use a power bat that has some extra pitching to spare??

It still irks me that mgmt wasn't willing to offer up to get Price. :shakehead
I wouldn't have given Price that contract either

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I'd give Jose what he wants, honestly. He gives the Jays a swagger and an attitude. The guys rally behind that. Now is not the time to miss the playoffs again, go all in and let's get this done.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad