Confirmed with Link: [TOR/STL] Leafs trade Carl Gunnarsson and 94th pick for Roman Polak - PT II

Joey24

Mar 9, 2002
New Zealand
Still don't like the trade even if Gunnar is currently on the IR. Polak has shown nothing more than being a bottom pairing defenseman as advertised meanwhile Gunnar whilst not a top pairer, was still a good Top 4 defenseman. Phaneuf has also looked noticeably worse without Gunnar there to stabilize him, but that could be due to the side switch so jury is still out on that one.

Well Dion is playing his proper side now, something he hasn't been able to do in a while. So maybe that has something to do with it? When you get use to playing one side and then shift back to the other after a few years it can be tricky.

I am sure he will come around tho he hasn't looked bad tho, and He had some shockers with Gunner also, I find it funny how ppl think Gunner was this amazing player when he was pretty average.

He's also playing with a partner that hasn't played preseason and is still shaking off some rust from being out so long, there is a getting use-to period and I am sure that pairing will be solid once they are use to one another.

Paladin2799

Jul 15, 2009
He's also damaged good and has never played a full season. Don't understand why St. Louis makes this trade, to be honest.

Because at the end of the day they are getting the better player.

STL has lots of defensive depth, and gunnar when he is on shows flashes of being a legit #3 defenseman. Polak is a strong workhorse but at BEST is a #4 defenseman.

We got him for his ability to clear the net and be a stable 3rd pairing defenseman.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
This is one of those trades that might be a win win for both parties. We get an as-advertised rugged bottom pairing defenseman and the Blues get a potential top-4 defenseman. The part I hate about this trade is the extra candy Nonis added with Gunnarsson: was a 4th and some money back really necessary? The 4th might be a noname player in the future, but in a draft that is particularly deep, a 4th may have the same weight as a 3rd or late 2nd in other years' drafts. Add to that the fact that we have drafted several late round players that have made it to the bigs, I'd say that giving away a draft pick is akin to a coach not playing his big guns in the last minute of play.

Might even go so far as to say that the GMs readily handing out picks is insulting to the European contingent of our scouting department who dedicate a lot of hours to travelling and catching games that don't have the same fanfare as say the Memorial Cup finals. The case with young players in European leagues is that if they're playing higher tier with men, they will most often see limited ice time. Why doesn't our organization take advantage of our scouting department and at least take a direction instead of staying in a mediocre no-mans land?

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
This is one of those trades that might be a win win for both parties. We get an as-advertised rugged bottom pairing defenseman and the Blues get a potential top-4 defenseman. The part I hate about this trade is the extra candy Nonis added with Gunnarsson: was a 4th and some money back really necessary? The 4th might be a noname player in the future, but in a draft that is particularly deep, a 4th may have the same weight as a 3rd or late 2nd in other years' drafts. Add to that the fact that we have drafted several late round players that have made it to the bigs, I'd say that giving away a draft pick is akin to a coach not playing his big guns in the last minute of play.

we probably had to throw in the extras due to gunner's hip.

so far though, i'm happy with Polak. I think pairing him with Gardiner would be best because Polak doesn't seem to like to carry the puck, but he's big and strong defensively (something Gardiner certainly is not).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->