Confirmed with Link: [TOR-OTT] Phaneuf/Frattin/3 Others for Michalek/Greening/Cowen/Lindberg/2nd17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Slightly off topic, and i'm sure it's the case everywhere.

But personally, if I was a GM, i'd have the players all turn up shirt and tie, and probably even the same suits, with matching club ties.

Promotes the idea of unity, being a part of the same team, and also the idea that you are all one and a part of something united.

Heya, Lou! :) glad to see you!

Leafed

Jan 28, 2009
Another way to look at this return:

Tobias Lindberg
OTT 2nd rounder 2017
Milan Michalek -> rehabbed into rental next season, 2017 3rd rounder
Jared Cowen -> if doesn't work out, flipped for 2016 4th rounder in offseason due to buyout cap flexibility
Colin Greening -> longshot rehab project as rental next season.

Can't see any of what the Leafs gave up being moved into other workable assets, apart from Dion

brandonlowi

Sep 20, 2015
Slightly off topic, and i'm sure it's the case everywhere.

But personally, if I was a GM, i'd have the players all turn up shirt and tie, and probably even the same suits, with matching club ties.

Promotes the idea of unity, being a part of the same team, and also the idea that you are all one and a part of something united.

lol that is so lame and kind of weird all at the same time. I think players would be opposed to this idea. It's not like their Mcdonalds staff or something. You have to be old guy to recommend this.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Most of this has already been said but to recap.

I think this is a good trade for Ottawa, as long as they don't mind spending the extra $5M-ish per year over Phaneuf's contract. It's certainly a positive for them the next couple of years, but when Phaneuf is 34 the contract along with the loss of a draft pick and a serviceable 3rd liner in Lindberg may sting a bit. They are sacrificing a bit of their future to try and win now, but only a small bit.

On the other hand, this deal is definitely a very, very positive transaction for Toronto. As one would expect - the fact the Leafs don't care about being competitive for the next year or two *should* give them a bit of extra leverage in any trade. From the Leafs perspective, this is what the trade will look like after next season:

Lindberg (22 years old)
2017 2nd
$6M+ cap space ($7M minus Lindberg's ELC) for four years

vs.

Phaneuf (32 years old)

That doesn't even factor in any picks they can get for Cowan (due to his cap credit) or Michalek at the deadline next year.

The cap space the Leafs saved is enough to get a better player than an aging Phaneuf. So there's almost no way this trade can be rationally viewed as negative for the Leafs. They get an upgrade on Phaneuf, a prospect who looks like an NHLer, and a 2nd, while only giving up some junk prospects. The only way the Leafs lose this trade is if they waste the saved cap space on a bad contract, or one of the long shot prospects they sent to Ottawa ends up breaking out.

Brilliant maneuvering by the Leafs management to take advantage of the situation they are in, namely that next season does not matter so they're free to take on short term liabilities in exchange for long term assets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->