Confirmed with Link: [TOR/OTT] Phaneuf Deal Pt.2 | Frattin stays with Marlies

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Frattin is still with the Marlies? That's weird.

Regardless, it's going to be interesting to see what the Leafs do with the contracts of Cowen, Greening and Michalek. Lots of moves that can possibly be made there.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Frattin got saved from living in Binghamton, so I doubt it's awkward at all.

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
Matt Frattin is on the Senators 40-Man, however he has been loaned back to the Toronto Marlies, so MLSE is still paying his contract.

Amazing that we finally have a management team that can think outside the box and find a way to use their financial muscle.

Mckay

I find your lack of gravy disturbing.
Mar 5, 2014
Canada
So in other words. A free contract spot for the rest of the year was also part of the deal... Without actually having to lose the player from the marlies. Interesting.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
Great news. I think Frattin deserves a chance to try and win a Calder Cup. He was essential in previous Marlie runs.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Pretty sweet. But just goes to show how useless Frattin is. A team that traded for him doesn't even want him lmao.

It's more about money.

Frattin is one a one-way deal at 825K. Ottawa is a budget team and can't pay him that much in the AHL. Their highest paid player is Mike Kostka at 300K on a 2-Way deal.

So the Leafs keep him for the Marlies, still pay him, but his contract slot is transferred to the Senators, likely with the promise that they won't recall him.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Great news. I think Frattin deserves a chance to try and win a Calder Cup. He was essential in previous Marlie runs.

What has Frattin done to deserve a chance at anything? Missing scoring a goal on that breakaway in game 7??? :help:

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
So now we're developing players for divisional rivals? :sarcasm:

Maybe Frattin gets traded back to us at the trade deadline, or off season, if Phaneuf get's Ottawa into a playoff spot? :dunno:

snizzbone*

Seriously doubt this was just done all of a sudden.. this was planned when they made the trade. There was no intention of Frattin actually leaving the Marlies to join the Sens. It just keeps us below the 50 contract limit.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
interesting move... never heard of something like that... why would he even be in the trade then? number of contracts or something?

Frattin is a UFA so they want negotiation rights first? I really don't understand it..

only thing that makes sense is Toronto had to get rid of the contract... but then have him loaned back.

Has to be a stipulation on recalling him too... can't pull him whenever they feel like it.

Comely

Nov 26, 2007
Cambridge
interesting move... never heard of something like that... why would he even be in the trade then? number of contracts or something?

Frattin is a UFA so they want negotiation rights first? I really don't understand it..

only thing that makes sense is Toronto had to get rid of the contract... but then have him loaned back.

Has to be a stipulation on recalling him too... can't pull him whenever they feel like it.

I have the feeling that they dont intend to recall him ever and that he was just traded for # of contract reasons. Murray is just letting him stay with his family rather then uproot him so he can go lose with the b-sens for a bit.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
It's more about money.

Frattin is one a one-way deal at 825K. Ottawa is a budget team and can't pay him that much in the AHL. Their highest paid player is Mike Kostka at 300K on a 2-Way deal.

So the Leafs keep him for the Marlies, still pay him, but his contract slot is transferred to the Senators, likely with the promise that they won't recall him.

I am a bit confused, so he is now Ottawa's property - right? but playing for the Marlies? is it really possible? what if we get injured or some thing happen on ice?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I am a bit confused, so he is now Ottawa's property - right? but playing for the Marlies? is it really possible? what if we get injured or some thing happen on ice?

Yeah, he's Ottawa property. However they loaned him to the Marlies, so we are paying him.

Just like we loaned Andreas Johnson back to Sweden for this year, despite him having a pro contract with us.

If he gets hurt, I would assume MLSE's insurance will cover it as we are paying his salary still.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
What has Frattin done to deserve a chance at anything? Missing scoring a goal on that breakaway in game 7??? :help:

YYBG2bk.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad