Confirmed with Link: [TOR] Maple Leafs Re-Sign Carter Ashton [1 year/$850K]

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
I have a feeling that once Ashton gets one to go in, even if its a flukey bounce, it'll give him confidence...he should be good for 10-15 goals this year.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Most of Ashton's goals are flukey bounces:sarcasm:

Looks like he and Bodie will be battling for that 4th line winger position. If he can do this he will be fine...

dirk41

Jun 9, 2010
I actually think he's fairly underrated. When you have a shooting percentage of 0% on 45 shots, I think you're bound to get some breaks go your way eventually. I can recall at least 4 or 5 instances where he was completely robbed of a goal.

Wow. Four goals in 47 games instead of 0. Underrated!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...d-free-agents-holland-ashton/article19636617/

Neither one of these guys are 4th line players. Both are big strong young players who skate well and if used right could produce well in the top nine.

Well you never know. Perhaps the real plan is to have Ashton -- Holland and Frattin become the 3rd line next season, while the new guys Komarov -- Kontiola and Santorelli occupy the 4th line.

Training camp will sort this out.

Holymakinaw

May 22, 2007
Toronto
Well, now Toronto has just three players left to sign(RFA's Franson, Gardiner & Reimer), and $11 million left to do it with. I wonder if they'll keep all three of those last guys this year or not?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
How do waivers work? Could either Ashton or Holland be sent down before the season starts without clearing waivers?

Nope, both players will need to clear waivers to be Marlies which increases their odds to remain with the Leafs this season.

If Ashton struggles in camp like Colborne did last season perhaps he will be shipped off for a draft pick like Joe was.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I just don't see room for both players in the lineup. And not sure being healthy scratches helps either.

Any combination of Ashton, Bodie, Trevor Smith, Kontiola, Frattin etc could rotate throughout the pressbox and the 3rd/4th lines. It will be up to Ashton to have a strong camp and push to be a regular on the ice.

Ashton has been productive at the AHL level.

I think Shanny hopes this level of competition will motivate players to work hard to earn and keep their spots in the lineup.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...d-free-agents-holland-ashton/article19636617/

Neither one of these guys are 4th line players. Both are big strong young players who skate well and if used right could produce well in the top nine.

Looks like it won't be the traditional 4th line this year though. More minutes, expected to play a good two way game. Almost like two third lines, dependable, with some sandpaper. Holland could develop into a second line centre. Ashton could develop into a player that moves up and down the lineup if he translates those AHL goals to NHL goals? This will be a big year for both. They need to first show consistency, defensive awareness, dependable minutes, flashes of offense with a few goals and they will climb the roster when others falter. Then it's up to them to up their game.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Do you think they bring in a 29 year old Kontiola not to play him? I think he's got a spot to lose and if he can't play here they'll just let him go. Same with Frattin as he has a spot to lose. I also think Bodie will be tough to knock out of a spot. He really earned it last season.

If Ashton could ever replicate his AHL capabilities in the NHL then he's got the best opportunity to be in the lineup I would think.

Ashton certainly as you've correctly pointed out is certainly not a front runner for a regular spot.

Because he needs to clear waivers, he enters camp holding down a pressbox spot among the reserves.

So he should be highly motivated to force the coaching staff, to put someone else in the box instead of him.

Tyler Biggs*

Looks like it won't be the traditional 4th line this year though. More minutes, expected to play a good two way game. Almost like two third lines, dependable, with some sandpaper. Holland could develop into a second line centre. Ashton could develop into a player that moves up and down the lineup if he translates those AHL goals to NHL goals? This will be a big year for both. They need to first show consistency, defensive awareness, dependable minutes, flashes of offense with a few goals and they will climb the roster when others falter. Then it's up to them to up their game.

Good point.

You need 4 lines that can roll in today's NHL so 3rd and 4th lines should more or less be of equal value and play similar minutes. The days of having a 4th line that only plays 3 to 4 minutes a night are over.

Pholus

May 23, 2014
Ashton certainly as you've correctly pointed out is certainly not a front runner for a regular spot.

Because he needs to clear waivers, he enters camp holding down a pressbox spot among the reserves.

So he should be highly motivated to force the coaching staff, to put someone else in the box instead of him.

I find it funny that the press box would be a better motivator for hard work than the minors, but I guess that's why I never had a pro hockey career :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->