Proposal: [TOR/EDM/OTT] 3 Way Trade

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
The value may be off here, please let me know. That said, I think this deal makes a lot of sense for all three teams involved IF Erik Karlsson doesn't want to resign in Ottawa. The Senators get a great haul, including a 24 year old top 4 (top pairing?) defenseman on a great contract, a 20 year old who was just drafted 4th overall, the 10th overall pick in a deep draft, and two more picks. They are unlikely to find a better return that that. Toronto gives up a young winger, but adresses a position of need with one of the best 3rd line centers in the league. Toronto is already very deep on the wings, so the loss of Kapanen won't hurt too much. Edmonton adresses a huge need for an offensive right-defenseman, and gets their 1st bonafide 1D in a decade. He would also solve their issue on the powerplay. Kapanen is a speedy winger with a great shot. A line of RNH - McDavid - Kapanen with a defensive pairing of Nurse - Karlsson would be nearly impossible to stop.

:sens Oscar Klefbom, Jesse Puljujarvi, 2018 1st, 2nd, 3rd (All from Edmonton)

:leafs Jean-Gabriel Pageau

:edmontonErik Karlsson (Verbal Agreement to Re-Sign) , Kasperi Kapanen

* Assuming Erik Karlsson will not re-sign in Ottawa.

Last edited:

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Can't see why the leafs would deal Kapanen for Pageau.

Why does Edmonton give up all of that ? I know Pulujarvi hasn't played the best since being drafted, but he still has high value.

Kind of surprised an Oilers fan would give up so much for 2 players. Does Karlsson come with an agreement to sign an extension come July 1st and it's a fairly good deal ?

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
I’d probably do it as Toronto, they need a 3c for when Bozak walks. Tho Kappy is a tough one to lose

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Can't see why the leafs would deal Kapanen for Pageau.

Why does Edmonton give up all of that ? I know Pulujarvi hasn't played the best since being drafted, but he still has high value.

Kind of surprised an Oilers fan would give up so much for 2 players. Does Karlsson come with an agreement to sign an extension come July 1st and it's a fairly good deal ?
It's for an extended Karlsson. I forgot to mention that in the OP.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Sens rob the Oilers and not even sure if he can fit under their cap. Not sure why the Leafs make this deal either, better options elsewhere.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
So just out of curiosity what do you think you could get for Karlsson?

For arguably the best defenseman in the NHL resigned and a very good 3rd line C who steps up his play postseason? more and dealt separately.....

The real intriguing piece is the 10th overall and while Puljujarvi isn't a bust, he certainly hasn't met expectations at this point and Klefbom has only really shown to be a #1 D last year, every other year has been inconsistent with flashes of being good. So both are decent pieces but underwhelming considering what we give up.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Plus Edmonton upgrades from Karlsson > Klefbom and Kapanen =/> Puljujarvi...

So essentially they upgrade their #1 winger and #1 defenseman for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd....

hockeyguy1967

Trans hockey fan! Go Leafs and Oilers!
Aug 24, 2017

So essentially they upgrade their #1 winger and #1 defenseman for a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd....
In what universe is Kapanen>Puljujarvi? Even with Puljujarvi's disappointing stats they are still better then Kapanens who is also almost 2 years older. Plus Kapanen is a playoff no show. Why is Toronto even in this trade?

Reactions: McWeber

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017

Puljujarvi has way more value than Kapanen. Even though he plays 4th line minutes with plugs like Lucic, Cagguila, Cammaleri, and Kassian, and next to no power play time, he still put a 16 goal pace.

Give him a break. He turned 20 only two weeks ago.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
In what universe is Kapanen>Puljujarvi? Even with Puljujarvi's disappointing stats they are still better then Kapanens who is also almost 2 years older. Plus Kapanen is a playoff no show. Why is Toronto even in this trade?

I said equal OR greater but in reality you can't argue that Puljujarvi has accomplished thatttt much more than Kapanen. Both are young wingers with little show for in their NHL careers at this point in time.

Both are young enough to improve but let's not pretend that Puljujarvi holds that "blue chip can't miss prospect" status that he had when he was first drafted...

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Puljujarvi has way more value than Kapanen. Even though he plays 4th line minutes with plugs like Lucic, Cagguila, Cammaleri, and Kassian, and next to no power play time, he still put a 16 goal pace.

Give him a break. He turned 20 only two weeks ago.

Give him a break? I said he was young and could improved but that ATM he's NOTHING SPECIAL.... so yeah, sorry that I don't want a winger with a 16 goal PACE in return for Karlsson AND Pageau..

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
If Karlsson has decided to go UFA, I don't see him signing before he hits UFA....

Wait, who said he decided to go to UFA? The OP said if he doesn't want to re-sign in Ottawa. Meaning their offer was crap or he just doesn't wanna be there anymore. Doesn't mean he goes to UFA. He would almost get to pick out of a handful of teams, which one he got dealt to.

I guarantee you Ottawa doesn't ever let him go to UFA

Reactions: HailMcJesus

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Wait, who said he decided to go to UFA? The OP said if he doesn't want to re-sign in Ottawa. Meaning their offer was crap or he just doesn't wanna be there anymore. Doesn't mean he goes to UFA. He would almost get to pick out of a handful of teams, which one he got dealt to.

I guarantee you Ottawa doesn't ever let him go to UFA
What do you think of the deal? Would you do it as a Sens fan?

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I don't really know why Toronto is in the deal. I mean if we sent Pageau to Edmonton, I guess you could flip him to Toronto in a separate deal, which is what this basically is.

IMO though if I were Edmonton I would just keep Pageau. Let him be your Elite shutdown 3C and let Strome play on the wing where he should be. Kapanen is 3 years younger than Pageau and they have had very similar years if you compare their numbers at the same age... But JGP is a centre and far more responsible defensively (pretty sure he got a few Selke votes last year).

Anyways I do think EK will extend in Ottawa. But if he doesn't, I definitely think there is a deal to be made with Edmonton.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I'd want that type of value for Karlsson alone honestly, not sure why we're throwing Pageau into the same deal. Honestly, Pageau is pretty important until Brown/White/Chlapik can establish themselves at the NHL level, so I'm not sure he's someone the team is looking to move at all.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
What do you think of the deal? Would you do it as a Sens fan?

It's not horrible. Although if it's not Draisaitl, I see Ottawa needing RNH back. He's at least a sure thing. I think puljujaarvi will be very good but he hasn't shown much yet so it's scary.

I do think that if we grab RNH from you, we'd give you Hoffman back.

Maybe Karlsson for RNH, Klefbom, 2018 2nd

And Hoffman and Pageau for Yamamoto and 2018 1st.

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
I said equal OR greater but in reality you can't argue that Puljujarvi has accomplished thatttt much more than Kapanen. Both are young wingers with little show for in their NHL careers at this point in time.

Both are young enough to improve but let's not pretend that Puljujarvi holds that "blue chip can't miss prospect" status that he had when he was first drafted...
He just turned 20.....
He is 100x the prospect Kapanen is.

hockeyguy1967

Aug 24, 2017
Give him a break? I said he was young and could improved but that ATM he's NOTHING SPECIAL.... so yeah, sorry that I don't want a winger with a 16 goal PACE in return for Karlsson AND Pageau..
16 Goal pace on the 4th line with very little pp time is pretty good imo for a 19 year old season.
Anyways Oilers do not do this trade. We cannot afford Karlsson at all. I am sure Ottawa will get a better return elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad