Proposal: (TOR) Connor Brown for (FLA) Mark Pysyk

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
No deal from the Panthers' end even though the value might be there, just doesn't solve anything but it might create a problem.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
Rather trade off Petrovic so I don't have to hear Goldstein call him Petrovich.

Based off his goal totals and our lack of middle six wingers, not too opposed to that deal(Petro).

I see based off Dobbersports Brown was on the fourth line. Going in the doghouse/rough stretch?

See that he has gotten time with Matthews earlier on. Even strength and the PP

Last edited:

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Other than Babcock, who says no?

Two guys signed for 2 more years after this one, at a 600k difference. Pysyk 3 years older than Brown.
I think the deal is fair but if Florida doesn't want to move Pysyk then not much of a deal to be had.
All that would be left is an overpayment which we aren't going to do.

Reactions: Morgs

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Rather trade off Petrovic so I don't have to hear Goldstein call him Petrovich.

Based off his goal totals and our lack of middle six wingers, not too opposed to that deal(Petro).

I see based off Dobbersports Brown was on the fourth line. Going in the doghouse/rough stretch?

See that he has gotten time with Matthews earlier on. Even strength and the PP

I personally wouldn't trade him for Petrovic.

He's on the 4th line because we have 9 (8 actually, lol Komarov) better wingers. I think Babcock is okay with him down there because he's one of the main penalty killers and has a spot on the PP, so it's not like he isn't getting good icetime.

Reactions: ShootIt

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
No deal from the Panthers' end even though the value might be there, just doesn't solve anything but it might create a problem.

Well my thought process was that you guys are having trouble scoring (minus Barkov, Trocheck, Huberdeau, Dadonov obviously), and I was going to give you a winger that could either play beside Tro and move Bjugstad back to C, or a guy who can be a great complimentary player for McCann.

I understand that you don't want to move Pysyk though, so I don't blame you.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Can Brown play LW at all?
Might be able to do something if Carrick is coming back and we add something else but give it 5-6 games to see where we are in the standings. Feel the next 2 weeks will be very telling if we're buying or selling at the deadline.

Congrats to a well thought out proposal OP. Does fill a need for both teams but timing of it isn't there just yet.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Can Brown play LW at all?
Might be able to do something if Carrick is coming back and we add something else but give it 5-6 games to see where we are in the standings. Feel the next 2 weeks will be very telling if we're buying or selling at the deadline.

Congrats to a well thought out proposal OP. Does fill a need for both teams but timing of it isn't there just yet.

He's almost exclusively played RW for us, but he does seem like the versatile type if completely necessary..I honestly wouldn't be overly surprised if someone in 5 years made him into a 3C.

Carrick add is a possibility, but I do believe we'd have to ask for a little more value from the Panthers side: something along the lines of a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
No way management deals Brown... he signed a steal of a contract for what he has and will produce and the coach obviously loves him.

Once the Leafs have all/most of their UFAs walk Brown will be needed in the top 9 and should see an increase in production too.

Reactions: bukwas

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Just to expand on Brown:

He's played mostly on our fourth line lately, as a result of a rather rough second season for him. Our fourth lines have generally been completely inept when Babcock doesn't throw elite talent down there, so his opportunity has been rather limited. That should be taken into account when looking at him statistically.

What you'd get is a hard working right winger who pays attention to his defensive game. He is very smart, and is very good at finding pucks around the net and depositing them. He is rather mobile and has some speed, but isn't much of a puck carrier. Can be decent along the boards, but don't expect too much playmaking ability from him. He's been surprisingly bad in that area at the NHL level, given his production at lower levels. He doesn't get many shot assists, and he basically never set up linemates. Put him on a line that works hard down low and works it in tight, and he can be a 20 goal scorer for you. He's a decent PK guy and can fill in on the PP.

I'd call him a versatile complementary forward in a top nine role, so he definitely has some value. He's also still young, so there's development there. I don't know if I'd give up Pysyk for him though.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
He's almost exclusively played RW for us, but he does seem like the versatile type if completely necessary..I honestly wouldn't be overly surprised if someone in 5 years made him into a 3C.

Carrick add is a possibility, but I do believe we'd have to ask for a little more value from the Panthers side: something along the lines of a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

So

:panthers

C. Brown
C. Carrick

:leafs

M. Pysyk
2018 3rd

I'd be curious to see Brown on a line with Trocheck, they both like a bit of the rough stuff, bring speed and goal scoring ability. Throw Borgstrom on the LW side next year maybe and that would be an exciting line to watch.

I'd probably do it if we're out of the playoff race so those two mentioned above can build some chemistry.
Management seems to be high on Weegar who would probably replace Pysyk.

Who would you put Pysyk with? Gardiner most likely?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
No way management deals Brown... he signed a steal of a contract for what he has and will produce and the coach obviously loves him.

Once the Leafs have all/most of their UFAs walk Brown will be needed in the top 9 and should see an increase in production too.

I agree management would probably never even dream about this sort of deal, but it would make sense to us from a positional and monetary standpoint. When it comes to our top-9 wingers (assuming we bring back JVR, and not Komarov).

For the next two seasons (when Brown's contract ends) we have these guys fighting for 6 top-9 lineup spots:

Nylander (unless he moves to C), Marner, JVR, Marleau, Hyman, Kapanen, Brown, Johnsson, Grundstrom, Korshkov, Rychel, Leivo.

Although he's a good player, and a fan & management favourite, he does seem like an expendable piece for a Top-4 RHD.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
So

:panthers

C. Brown
C. Carrick

:leafs

M. Pysyk
2018 3rd

I'd be curious to see Brown on a line with Trocheck, they both like a bit of the rough stuff, bring speed and goal scoring ability. Throw Borgstrom on the LW side next year maybe and that would be an exciting line to watch.

I'd probably do it if we're out of the playoff race so those two mentioned above can build some chemistry.
Management seems to be high on Weegar who would probably replace Pysyk.

Who would you put Pysyk with? Gardiner most likely?

Something like that could definitely work. I'd probably (obviously) try hard to turn that 3rd into a second, but it's the same idea.

I agree, I've watched a lot of Florida this year (I have Tro and Barkov on my fantasy team: thanks)

I think I'd prefer to have him beside Gardiner, but I could see him growing into Rielly's partner (hopefully) when Hainsey inevitably leaves after next season.

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Something like that could definitely work. I'd probably (obviously) try hard to turn that 3rd into a second, but it's the same idea.

I agree, I've watched a lot of Florida this year (I have Tro and Barkov on my fantasy team: thanksp>

I think I'd prefer to have him beside Gardiner, but I could see him growing into Rielly's partner (hopefully) when Hainsey inevitably leaves after next season.

It won't be our 2018 2nd though, we own Arizona's.

Just being honest with ya...
Don't put Pysyk on the top line, he is what he is, I think he's reached his ceiling. Some nights you won't notice him which is good because he's doing his job, some nights he will get the urge to pinch and create some nice offensive plays and the rest he will make you pull your hair out.
He'd fit well with Gardiner IMO, lets him focus on offense and Pysyk on his defensive role. I'd put Z on top line before Pysyk.

He's a great #5 and a low end to average #4 but definitely an upgrade over Polak, Carrick etc.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Assuming he take Zaitsevs spot or he plays third pair...
Reilly - Hainsey
Gards - Z/Pys
Borgman/Z/Pys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad