Confirmed with Link: [TOR/CBJ/SJS] TOR acquire Nick Foligno [75% Retained] & Stefan Noesen for 2021 1st, 2021 & 2022 4ths

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
We need a Foligno more than we need a Hall.

This team needs people that stand up to be counted when the battle is coming. There's plenty of elite talent.

LAt how many play-offs, character was what was missing in the key times.

Wise move from Dubas. Feel like he's learning and getting better at the time.

Yeah I don't get the people who would have taken Hall over Foligno
Even the mapleleafshotstove claims they would have

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
The other two teams willing to give up a first round draft pick were Washington and Colorado. Neither of them were interested in Hall. Plus Hall, according to many experts, tends to make teams regress and fall out of playoff contention. He also is more of a passer first rather than a goal scorer. We need someone more like Laine to boost our PP than Hall.
We make too many passes and need to just shoot the puck.

Reactions: Confucius

tmlms13

Apr 11, 2012
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm not saying it's bad move. Not at all. It's just that rumors were that Columbus was looking for the first and Mini who also was interested did not see that as price they would pay. So marker was not strong supporting giving up first for Foligno. Perhaps it's Nash for 7th that shall be considered as part of this deal. Then it's probably just slight over-payment on Leafs part as Columbus was willing to do whatever is necessary to get that first from us. Hopefully Nash can recover from injury and play good for us.

Minny's pick will be about 10 spots higher, that's not insignificant. Not all first round picks are created equal. And the two organization are at very different spots in their development.

Reactions: Antropovsky

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
If anyone hasn't watched Foligno's media availability following the trade, I highly recommend it.

Looking forward to him stepping on the ice.

Reactions: The Cobra

CertifiedGoat

Sep 24, 2020
That can work both ways though. Foligno will be lining up against and with different players this time around. He arguably had his best playoff performance thus far last season.
I expect a slight boost because style of play and better linemates, but I don't think it will be significant.

We'll see, hopefully he plays well.

Reactions: Buds17

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
I expect a slight boost because style of play and better linemates, but I don't think it will be significant.

We'll see, hopefully he plays well.

I'm not concerned with the fit. Trading away a 1st for a pending UFA is the tough part for me. Not sure about being able to re-sign him due to the cap and such. Hoping for a good amount of team success if this ends up being for just the one run.

Reactions: Kurtz

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I'm not concerned with the fit. Trading away a 1st for a pending UFA is the tough part for me. Not sure about being able to re-sign him due to the cap and such. Hoping for a good amount of team success if this ends up being for just the one run.
oh its for sure just this year, Id bet quite a bit he goes back to Columbus at the end of the season

Reactions: Buds17

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
The other two teams willing to give up a first round draft pick were Washington and Colorado. Neither of them were interested in Hall. Plus Hall, according to many experts, tends to make teams regress and fall out of playoff contention. He also is more of a passer first rather than a goal scorer. We need someone more like Laine to boost our PP than Hall.
We make too many passes and need to just shoot the puck.

I think 5 on 5 they pass way too much. Too cute. Looks great when it works BUT they need to shoot more.

GQS

Aug 2, 2005
This is one of the few trades that Dubas made that I wasn't really a fan of and in the end he didn't make much of a difference. I get that we got him for the supposed vet leadership, toughness, playoff experience etc. and all that stuff, but when did that show up during the series? It didn't stop the Leafs from going off a cliff into another disaster and he personally didn't contribute much on the ice during this series other than that one fight.

I wasn't opposed to aquiring him, but for the price we paid for him even if its a late 1st round and a couple of 4ths really wasn't worth it for what he brought. It sucks that he got injured and it affected his on ice performance, but he was suppose to be a good, strong presence in the dressing room and obviously it wasn't good enough there either. Would've been better off just keeping the picks and giving his icetime to another player after what we got from him. Just like the Boyle and Plekanec trades, this was a good on paper, not so good in reality kind of trade where it made little difference in the outcome.

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
Absolute disaster of a trade. This guy was not even a neutral contributor out there, he was noticeably bad. No injury excuse either, if it's impacting your performance to that degree you cannot be playing, period.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
I was then loudest, most obnoxious "anti Foligno" guy in this thread and others. The number of people tried to tell me otherwise, was staggering. The guy has been a bad hockey player for 4 years and he was a bad hockey player for Toronto. That should surprise nobody.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
My issue isn’t with Foligno my issue is with Dubas for trading to get someone who was clearly injured (or noticeably less than 100%) before coming over to Toronto...now he will go back to Columbus with the 1st in tow

Good luck Nick thanks for giving what you had

Reactions: saffronleaf

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
To me it is obvious that a playoff run was expected, if not a necessity for the GM. The team was teed up to get out of its division and couldn't even finish off a 3-1 1st round series. The NHL is a results league. GMs (or even presidents) retain their jobs after this many consecutive failures.

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
I liked the player, hated the compensation.

It was a massive gamble that now makes the trade look F-

This could be the nail in the Dubas coffin, who I have been in favour of until this series.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad