Proposal: Tor and Ana

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
The value isn't bad but it makes no sense for us. We're stacked on the left side in terms of defensemen -- we have Fowler and Lindholm locked up on the left side long-term and a bevy of young defensemen who could challenge for the 3rd spot. On the right side, however, Montour is our only NHL-level defenseman if Manson is shipped out.

Reactions: Morgs

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
Gardiner certainly has considerable value, but without matching term, it isn't quite high enough to match, either. More importantly, though, trading Manson makes zero sense for the Ducks in terms of needs, and trading him for a puck moving LD makes negative amounts of sense. That's just not a basis to work from.

Reactions: Morgs and Mallard

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
LOL. Garbage package from the Leafs for a stud in Manson. And Leaf fans are like "yeh maybe id do it...."
Contract terms don't matter in Toronto... Gardiner is good but I think manson fits what we need more and him and lindholm make 1 of the top shut down pairings in the league.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Value is there as Gardiner returns a 1st+ easily at the deadline so that package is 2 1sts ++. He just put up back to back 40+ point season (this year 50+ points) while playing above average difficulty 2nd pairing usage. Also leads the Leafs in even strength ice time and a close 2nd to his partner in total ATOI.

However that being said, the trade doesn't address a need for the Ducks while creating a hole so they obviously wouldn't make the trade.

No need to flame that the trade is bad value or anything just doesn't make sense for the Ducks.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Yeah people always forget trade deadline value. Surely Gardiner could get a first at the deadline if they did not extend him.

Still, I don't image anything sane would make them want to part with the player, too important to them.

Because not every team wants to sell at the deadline. They'd rather have Manson and try to win then have to sell off a top 4 D in Gardiner, pack in the season, and get futures.

If that's what they wanted, they could just trade Manson for futures. Gardiner's value at the deadline is meaningless to a team that thinks it's a playoff team.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
I should know better than to click on any of the TOR trade threads *sigh*

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Because not every team wants to sell at the deadline. They'd rather have Manson and try to win then have to sell off a top 4 D in Gardiner, pack in the season, and get futures.

If that's what they wanted, they could just trade Manson for futures. Gardiner's value at the deadline is meaningless to a team that thinks it's a playoff team.

Did you even read my post? What part of:

"I don't image anything sane would make them want to part with the player, too important to them."

didn't you understand?

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Not about the deal-but I will say we should be looking to part ways with Jake, in the last year on his contract.
He should not be extended.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
Fair value, but why would Anaheim consider this deal? The Ducks are filled with old aging veterans that are going to be over the hill in a couple of seasons, like Perry and Kesler. Instead of trading players like Josh Manson, they should be looking to add to their young crop of players - Rakell, Lindholm and Manson etc.

A player like Jake Gardiner holds no value to an organization like Anaheim. He is about to be a Free Agent next summer, and Anaheim isn't going to win a cup in the next couple of seasons.
Plus,
Manson > Gardiner
2018 3rd round pick = Josh Leivo (a guy who has requested a trade, so might be available for cheap)
Dereck Gant < 2018 1st round draft pick

I don't really see gaining a late first round draft pick worth it for trading Manson for Gardiner

Reactions: Kalv

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I'd say fair trade in a vacuum.

However, we can't have our top 4 consisting of Fowler, Montour, Gardiner and Lindholm. Too many offsensive Dmen we need Manson.
And Manson was our highest scoring defenseman this season, haha.

No, the trade probably isn`t bad in a vacuum (NHL 18), but Ducks give up more than they gain from THEIR point of view. Not gonna happen. Manson is the type of a player Ducks want and need. They already have a few Gardiners in lineup and system, style wise. Gardiner being an UFA soon with our cap problems just push it further off the cliff.

Reactions: Morgs and Mallard

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->