Proposal: TOR-ANA (or) CGY

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think in a perfect world we acquire a defenseman this off-season and Connor Brown would be apart of that deal most likely. In the event Brown didn't go for defensive help, I would like to tinker with our mixture of forwards.

Would Connor Brown for either of Sam Bennett or Nick Ritchie be a fair basis for trade?

Brown is a good penalty killer and produced despite mostly receiving 4th line minutes and no PP time beyond maybe the first dozen games.

Statistically he is comparable to both Bennett and Ritchie and I was curious if the interest was there.

Thanks

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Statistically they're very even. But Brown is older than Ritchie and Bennett. To be honest, Anaheim might do Ritchie for Brown, but Calgary shouldn't do Bennett. He was a very high pick and his potential would value him higher than Brown, Toronto would probably have to add. Don't think these deals make Toronto much better though.

Youre right, they need defensive help. If they can't address in free agency, they need to do it through trade. And (don't freak out leaf fans) but if they're smart, Nylander is a part of that deal.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I don`t think we are ready to part with Ritchie just yet. Offer has to be an overpayment for the Ducks to do it.

One thing which is completely ruling out this trade from Ducks POV that you didn`t mention, is Browns contract of AAV 2.1M for next 2 seasons. Ducks end their talks there. Unless you add another player in the deal and take on Corey Perry and make Perry wave his NMC. You know, that kind of stuff :)

Not the worst proposal, but this trade will not gonna happen. Ducks just can`t afford it even if they wanted to make that trade (which I also doubt tbh)

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Statistically they're very even. But Brown is older than Ritchie and Bennett. To be honest, Anaheim might do Ritchie for Brown, but Calgary shouldn't do Bennett. He was a very high pick and his potential would value him higher than Brown, Toronto would probably have to add. Don't think these deals make Toronto much better though.

Youre right, they need defensive help. If they can't address in free agency, they need to do it through trade. And (don't freak out leaf fans) but if they're smart, Nylander is a part of that deal.

Nylander is available maybe even with other assets for the highest end of defenseman like Doughty but short of a defenseman like that in the talks, we're not really looking to deal him but defense is a huge priority.

Don't think Toronto would want to add anything significant on top of Brown.

I don`t think we are ready to part with Ritchie just yet. Offer has to be an overpayment for the Ducks to do it.

One thing which is completely ruling out this trade from Ducks POV that you didn`t mention, is Browns contract of AAV 2.1M for next 2 seasons. Ducks end their talks there. Unless you add another player in the deal and take on Corey Perry and make Perry wave his NMC. You know, that kind of stuff :)

Not the worst proposal, but this trade will not gonna happen. Ducks just can`t afford it even if they wanted to make that trade (which I also doubt tbh)

I don't know which part is serious and which parts are in jest. I didn't think 2.1 million was that expensive though.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I don't know which part is serious and which parts are in jest. I didn't think 2.1 million was that expensive though.
I meant it serious.
Ducks are already in big cap trouble with expensive contracts Perry and Kesler(who should get better though). And Gibson, Montour and Kase will earn hefty hefty rises this and next offseason. We already will likely struggle to keep a player like Silfverberg, and not because we don`t like him but because we will soon not be able to afford him. Taking on a bigger contract for Ritchie who will not earn too much of a rise is very silly in our case.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Don't get this. Bennett "the bust" is already putting up numbers similar to brown, but Bennett has more potential. Bennett also has a grittier game and is a centre. Bennett is also 3 years younger, which means more rfa years.

Mallard

Apr 19, 2017
Canada
I think Ritchie could use a change of scenery but if we get a new coach I'd like to see what Ritchie would do with Randy-bo-bandy.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
You want defensive help so you offer Brown for Bennett?

Haha, I thought you would have wanted Stone. That would have made more sense.

Bennett trade isn't remotely tempting.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Don't get this. Bennett "the bust" is already putting up numbers similar to brown, but Bennett has more potential. Bennett also has a grittier game and is a centre. Bennett is also 3 years younger, which means more rfa years.

Same points and Bennett did much better at LW then he did at centre so as far as I am concerned he's a winger. Potential is in the eye of the beholder.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Same points and Bennett did much better at LW then he did at centre so as far as I am concerned he's a winger. Potential is in the eye of the beholder.
No. 21 year olds have more potential than 24 year olds.

Essentially if Bennett totally stalls out for the next three years then the value is even. Until then Bennett has far more value.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015

Yes, I agree with this. I'd do Ritchie for Brown, but I think Bennett is slightly better than Brown. First time complimenting Bennett.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
I like Brown and would like to see how he plays next year after seemingly having a sophomore slump. But then again if a good deal came along I'd look at it. I think he has more to offer than what we've seen this season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I meant it serious.
Ducks are already in big cap trouble with expensive contracts Perry and Kesler(who should get better though). And Gibson, Montour and Kase will earn hefty hefty rises this and next offseason. We already will likely struggle to keep a player like Silfverberg, and not because we don`t like him but because we will soon not be able to afford him. Taking on a bigger contract for Ritchie who will not earn too much of a rise is very silly in our case.

Per cap friendly the ducks at are $65 mill for next season with montour and Ritchie as the main guys to sign. Montour is the big fish but he’ll slot in around what Manson got. Ritchie minimal bump.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad