Top young player in Sweden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
We all know that Alexander Steen and Loui Eriksson are probably considered the best young Swedish forwards, but, as an Oiler fan, I'll throw another name out there: Dragan Umicevic.

Umicevic is having a tremendous season. He now has 14 points in the Elite League, 3 ahead of Steen and 7 ahead of Eriksson. After getting one point in his first 12 games (while being the extra forward in many of them), he played his way to the top line and now has 13 points in his last 10 games, including a 6-game point streak.

I realize he's playing with Olli Jokinen, for example, but he earned that promotion, and is now a large part of his team's success. Steen was pushed down to the 2nd line by Weinhandl, and Eriksson is also a little more buried because of the lockout. While the lockout hasn't affected Umicevic's team as much, he's shown he can play with the best in the SEL. The attitude and work ethics problems we've heard about last year seem to have disappeared, and if he can keep it up, hopefully we'll be able to add his name to the list of the best Swedish prospects.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Seachd said:
We all know that Alexander Steen and Loui Eriksson are probably considered the best young Swedish forwards, but, as an Oiler fan, I'll throw another name out there: Dragan Umicevic.

Umicevic is having a tremendous season. He now has 14 points in the Elite League, 3 ahead of Steen and 7 ahead of Eriksson. After getting one point in his first 12 games (while being the extra forward in many of them), he played his way to the top line and now has 13 points in his last 10 games, including a 6-game point streak.

I realize he's playing with Olli Jokinen, for example, but he earned that promotion, and is now a large part of his team's success. Steen was pushed down to the 2nd line by Weinhandl, and Eriksson is also a little more buried because of the lockout. While the lockout hasn't affected Umicevic's team as much, he's shown he can play with the best in the SEL. The attitude and work ethics problems we've heard about last year seem to have disappeared, and if he can keep it up, hopefully we'll be able to add his name to the list of the best Swedish prospects.

By the numbers, he's having a great season. However, as you pointed out, playing with Olli Jokinen has certainly helped. Also, it probably isn't quite fair to compare his numbers with Eriksson's, as Loui has been stuck on the 3rd and 4th line a lot. Still a good start to the season for the guy with one of the best names in hockey ;)

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
by the way Steen plays on the third line as the second line is the sedin twins and Svartvedet possibly so he has really been counted on for his defensive play while playing with less than gifted offensive players. although i have to agree Umcivic(sp?) has been impressive and i although i havnt heard much about him what i have heard has been very complementary.

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Seachd said:

Steen is playing on a checking line :D but Umicevic has been great this year from what I ahve read!!!

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Chaos said:
By the numbers, he's having a great season. However, as you pointed out, playing with Olli Jokinen has certainly helped. Also, it probably isn't quite fair to compare his numbers with Eriksson's, as Loui has been stuck on the 3rd and 4th line a lot. Still a good start to the season for the guy with one of the best names in hockey ;)

Jokinen also didn't join the team until recently. He has only played 5 games in the SEL this year, including the one today. And here is a quote from Oli after their first or second game together

"He will play in the NHL one day. What great hockey sense and technical skills. We are a perfect fit," Olli Jokinen said when being asked what he thought about Umicevic.

- source - eliteprospects.com

http://www.eliteprospects.com/news.php?news=1173

Jokinen is a big part of Dragan's recent run, but not the whole story.

Now if only we could get Jokinen over to the Oilers to play with Umicevic ....lol

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
s7ark said:
Jokinen is a big part of Dragan's recent run, but not the whole story.

Now if only we could get Jokinen over to the Oilers to play with Umicevic ....lol

Oh certainly Umicevic is doing some of it on his own...I was just pointing out that playing with Jokinen helps. Still has one of the best names in hockey though ;)

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Chaos said:
Oh certainly Umicevic is doing some of it on his own...I was just pointing out that playing with Jokinen helps. Still has one of the best names in hockey though ;)

Oh no doubt there. It isn't like Jokinen is going to hold him back or anything! :lol

Oli has 5 GP 4G 2A for 6P playing with good old Trogdor

leafaholix*

Just to point something out, Alexander Steen had 10 points in his first 10 games last season while playing on the top 2 lines with guys like Joel Lundqvist before being moved to a checking line.

And the National team coach has called him the top young player in the country.

So... :p:

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Leafaholix said:
Just to point something out, Alexander Steen had 10 points in his first 10 games last season while playing on the top 2 lines with guys like Joel Lundqvist before being moved to a checking line.

And the National team coach has called him the top young player in the country.

So... :p:

No one is taking anything away from Steen. He is an exceptional player. I think all Seachd was saying is that Dragan is coming up the ranks and deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Steen and Eriksson. Steen is handicapped by the number of NHL players on his team taking most of the ice time and likely a lot of the PP as well. Dragan isn't; he has a better opportunity right now then Steen.

Maybe the leafs should bring Steen over to the AHL is they are concerned with his development this year. The Oilers just did that with Niinimaki.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Kronblom said:
The crowd chanted Dragan, Dragan today after his excellent display when he fooled two defenders and served Jokinen to make it 5-2. Even Olli was impressed then and pointed at Dragan to give him full credit for that goal. :handclap: :handclap:

A pic from the Malmö game

That is just excellent news :) But you guys have to stop treating him so well. Otherwise we'll never get him over to Edmonton ;) :joker:

Thanks very much for the first hand account

leafaholix*

s7ark said:
No one is taking anything away from Steen. He is an exceptional player. I think all Seachd was saying is that Dragan is coming up the ranks and deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Steen and Eriksson. Steen is handicapped by the number of NHL players on his team taking most of the ice time and likely a lot of the PP as well. Dragan isn't; he has a better opportunity right now then Steen.
Nice to see you know what you're talking about.

Maybe the leafs should bring Steen over to the AHL is they are concerned with his development this year. The Oilers just did that with Niinimaki.
I don't think they're concerned with anything, I think as long as he's around Peter Forsberg for a full season the management is happy. Leaf fans that were aware of the situation knew Steen's scoring would be down this season because of the firepower Modo had.

So... it's not a stall in development... you can't go wrong with having your top prospect on a team with Peter Forsberg, learning.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Dragan might be the one with the biggest upside potential with his amazing technical game and hockeysense. We´ll see where this lands. He has had attitude problems in the past, but it seems like he has matured the last year.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
A player I am really impressed with is Yared Hagos, a 3rd round pick by Dallas. He is a very hard working 2-way player. A player with tremendous attitude. He is also a really god playmaker. Personally I expect that he will be a Craig Conroy type of player in the NHL.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
More kind words about Dragan

Thanks to Predatore for the translation:

Predatore said:
I noticed how excited so many of you are about Dragan's progress, so I thought I'd translate an article from today's Aftonbladet. Enjoy :)

-------------------
Finnish star player raves about Södertälje's super prospect
A totally new line with two NHLers have made Södertälje a playoff candidate.
Against Mora, it was however a 20-year old super prospect of Croatian descent that stole the show: Dragan Umicevic.

- He is among the most talented players that I have ever played with, says linemate and star player Olli Jokinen.

Since the arrival of Olli Jokinen and Mikael Samuelsson the team has
won 4 of 5 games. The two of them have improved the team - and Dragan Umicevic. He started out the season seeing very limited ice time and some games not playing at all. Now the story is totally different.

Praised enormously
Together with the NHL-duo Dragan Umicevic forms Södertälje's top line and the prospect is now turning into a star. And according to Olli Jokinen he could become superstar.
- If I must stand here and talk about this kid I could go on for hours. But one thing is sure: if he continues to develop he could become a superstar in the NHL. Just look at what he did today. Those two assists were out of this world, Jokinen says.

When Petri Liimatainen made it 3-1 Södertälje, Umicevic fooled a defenseman and found Liimatainen in front of
the net. The 5-2 goal was also a result of some technical numbers signed Umicevic.
- The 3-1 goal was really important. Mora was starting to play well, says Dragan Umicevic.

The 20-year old is born in Dubica, Croatia, but raised in Köping. As a 13-year old he made his debut on the senior team.

Not many immigrants choose to play hockey. How come you started?- I am a "jugge" (slang for Yugoslavian) so I really should play soccer (laughing). Hockey is not very big down there, even though I know there is a league. I was probably better at soccer, but then I got the chance to play hockey with the seniors. I became more successful in my hockey practice and when I was 15 I moved to Södertälje to attend the hockey high school, Umicevic says.

Why do so few immigrants choose to play hockey?- It is natural to start playing soccer. Also, hockey is an expensive sport and that has
probably something to do with it as well.

Umicevic has been on the verge of cracking Södertälje's senior team the last couple of season and
many believed he would get his breakthrough already last season. But he never made the team and was
sent on loan to Björklöven in the second tier league.
- I know he has been criticized for not having worked hard enough in the past. But now he works his butt off.
We definitely are a great fit and hopefully we'll become even better, Olli Jokinen says.

"Kick his ass"
Olli Jokinen will also make sure that Umicevic will have both feet on the ground, despite his success.
- Now I have praised him so much that I probably have to kick his ass on the next practice. He can't become
to cocky, the big Finnish center says while laughing out loud.

This is from a thread on the Oilers board LINK

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
bopeep said:
Could someone in the know comment on Johan Dahlberg?

Ive seen him a couple of times. He is born 87(eligble 2005), big kid (6'2") and really strong, plays really physical and very tough. Probably one of the toughest to come out of Sweden in some time. He will drop his gloves and he will stand up. Loves to hit and agititate his opponents. Has a mishabit of taking sometimes too many boardings or chargings. At the same time, he is a very good hockeyplayer. He has really great scoring touch(9 goals in 15 games which is the best among players born 87 or later in J20 SuperElit (highest juniorleague in Sweden), his acceleration could be better, but when he reaches full flight he is quite fast. His passing game is good and his hockeysense and technical game is decent. Coach Westrin commented him as being one of the players who has taken the biggest step from last season.

bopeep

Jan 22, 2004
bc
rivercanyon said:
Ive seen him a couple of times. He is born 87(eligble 2005), big kid (6'2") and really strong, plays really physical and very tough. Probably one of the toughest to come out of Sweden in some time. He will drop his gloves and he will stand up. Loves to hit and agititate his opponents. Has a mishabit of taking sometimes too many boardings or chargings. At the same time, he is a very good hockeyplayer. He has really great scoring touch(9 goals in 15 games which is the best among players born 87 or later in J20 SuperElit (highest juniorleague in Sweden), his acceleration could be better, but when he reaches full flight he is quite fast. His passing game is good and his hockeysense and technical game is decent. Coach Westrin commented him as being one of the players who has taken the biggest step from last season.

Thanks rivercanyon, that helps alot. The attribute that seems to come out of everyone that speaks of him is his strength. Any thoughts on where he might get drafted (I'm not sure where he ranks right now)?

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
bopeep said:
Thanks rivercanyon, that helps alot. The attribute that seems to come out of everyone that speaks of him is his strength. Any thoughts on where he might get drafted (I'm not sure where he ranks right now)?

I have no idea where he will be drafted. Too early to tell. As usual a good preformance in U18 WC helps a lot. Im guessing second day and fourth or fifth round maybe???

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
He was on the fourth line in Sodertalje and SEL. Now when Jokinen was recruited, he was sent down to the U20 team to get more icetime. But he is too good for J20 SuperElit(the best juniorleague) and will be called back.

He was awesome today. His team won with 5-2 against Huddinge. Nicklas Bergfors was involved in all goals. He scored one goal and four assists. His teammate Anze Kopitar left the game without a point.

I think its safe to say that Bergfors would have produced more points than Anze Kopitar if he had been on the u20 team whole year. Even if Anze has been producing great.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad