Top young player in Sweden?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Seachd, Nov 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seachd

Seachd Registered User

Home Page:
    We all know that Alexander Steen and Loui Eriksson are probably considered the best young Swedish forwards, but, as an Oiler fan, I'll throw another name out there: Dragan Umicevic.

Umicevic is having a tremendous season. He now has 14 points in the Elite League, 3 ahead of Steen and 7 ahead of Eriksson. After getting one point in his first 12 games (while being the extra forward in many of them), he played his way to the top line and now has 13 points in his last 10 games, including a 6-game point streak.

I realize he's playing with Olli Jokinen, for example, but he earned that promotion, and is now a large part of his team's success. Steen was pushed down to the 2nd line by Weinhandl, and Eriksson is also a little more buried because of the lockout. While the lockout hasn't affected Umicevic's team as much, he's shown he can play with the best in the SEL. The attitude and work ethics problems we've heard about last year seem to have disappeared, and if he can keep it up, hopefully we'll be able to add his name to the list of the best Swedish prospects.

2. Chaos

Chaos And the winner is...

Home Page:
    By the numbers, he's having a great season. However, as you pointed out, playing with Olli Jokinen has certainly helped. Also, it probably isn't quite fair to compare his numbers with Eriksson's, as Loui has been stuck on the 3rd and 4th line a lot. Still a good start to the season for the guy with one of the best names in hockey ;)

3. NYRangers

NYRangers Registered User

Is this a forwards only discussion? :D

4. VanW27

VanW27 Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    by the way Steen plays on the third line as the second line is the sedin twins and Svartvedet possibly so he has really been counted on for his defensive play while playing with less than gifted offensive players. although i have to agree Umcivic(sp?) has been impressive and i although i havnt heard much about him what i have heard has been very complementary.

5. BuppY

BuppY xGoodwillx

Home Page:

Steen is playing on a checking line :D but Umicevic has been great this year from what I ahve read!!!

6. VanW27

VanW27 Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    If you go to http://www.eliteprospects.com/ you will see that he is getting some respect from people who probably have watched him play as he is leading the poll for the most pleasant surprise so far in the SEL.

7. s7ark

s7ark Bouch

Jokinen also didn't join the team until recently. He has only played 5 games in the SEL this year, including the one today. And here is a quote from Oli after their first or second game together

"He will play in the NHL one day. What great hockey sense and technical skills. We are a perfect fit," Olli Jokinen said when being asked what he thought about Umicevic.

- source - eliteprospects.com

http://www.eliteprospects.com/news.php?news=1173

Jokinen is a big part of Dragan's recent run, but not the whole story.

Now if only we could get Jokinen over to the Oilers to play with Umicevic ....lol

8. Sebastien Centomo

Sebastien Centomo Registered User

Home Page:
    As this line would suggest...

:dunno:

9. Chaos

Chaos And the winner is...

Home Page:
    Oh certainly Umicevic is doing some of it on his own...I was just pointing out that playing with Jokinen helps. Still has one of the best names in hockey though ;)

10. s7ark

s7ark Bouch

Oh no doubt there. It isn't like Jokinen is going to hold him back or anything! :lol

Oli has 5 GP 4G 2A for 6P playing with good old Trogdor

11. leafaholix*

leafaholix* Guest

Just to point something out, Alexander Steen had 10 points in his first 10 games last season while playing on the top 2 lines with guys like Joel Lundqvist before being moved to a checking line.

And the National team coach has called him the top young player in the country.

So... :p:

12. Kronblom

Kronblom Registered User

The crowd chanted Dragan, Dragan today after his excellent display when he fooled two defenders and served Jokinen to make it 5-2. Even Olli was impressed then and pointed at Dragan to give him full credit for that goal. :handclap: :handclap:

A pic from the Malmö game

13. s7ark

s7ark Bouch

No one is taking anything away from Steen. He is an exceptional player. I think all Seachd was saying is that Dragan is coming up the ranks and deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as Steen and Eriksson. Steen is handicapped by the number of NHL players on his team taking most of the ice time and likely a lot of the PP as well. Dragan isn't; he has a better opportunity right now then Steen.

Maybe the leafs should bring Steen over to the AHL is they are concerned with his development this year. The Oilers just did that with Niinimaki.

14. s7ark

s7ark Bouch

That is just excellent news :) But you guys have to stop treating him so well. Otherwise we'll never get him over to Edmonton ;) :joker:

Thanks very much for the first hand account

15. leafaholix*

leafaholix* Guest

Nice to see you know what you're talking about.

I don't think they're concerned with anything, I think as long as he's around Peter Forsberg for a full season the management is happy. Leaf fans that were aware of the situation knew Steen's scoring would be down this season because of the firepower Modo had.

So... it's not a stall in development... you can't go wrong with having your top prospect on a team with Peter Forsberg, learning.

16. An Ape called Yoko

An Ape called Yoko Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    Dragan might be the one with the biggest upside potential with his amazing technical game and hockeysense. We´ll see where this lands. He has had attitude problems in the past, but it seems like he has matured the last year.

17. Ola

Ola Registered User Sponsor

Lawyer
    A player I am really impressed with is Yared Hagos, a 3rd round pick by Dallas. He is a very hard working 2-way player. A player with tremendous attitude. He is also a really god playmaker. Personally I expect that he will be a Craig Conroy type of player in the NHL.

18. s7ark

s7ark Bouch

More kind words about Dragan

Thanks to Predatore for the translation:

This is from a thread on the Oilers board LINK

19. bopeep

bopeep Registered User

fishboy
    Could someone in the know comment on Johan Dahlberg?

20. An Ape called Yoko

Student
    Home Page:
    Ive seen him a couple of times. He is born 87(eligble 2005), big kid (6'2") and really strong, plays really physical and very tough. Probably one of the toughest to come out of Sweden in some time. He will drop his gloves and he will stand up. Loves to hit and agititate his opponents. Has a mishabit of taking sometimes too many boardings or chargings. At the same time, he is a very good hockeyplayer. He has really great scoring touch(9 goals in 15 games which is the best among players born 87 or later in J20 SuperElit (highest juniorleague in Sweden), his acceleration could be better, but when he reaches full flight he is quite fast. His passing game is good and his hockeysense and technical game is decent. Coach Westrin commented him as being one of the players who has taken the biggest step from last season.

21. bopeep

bopeep Registered User

fishboy
    Thanks rivercanyon, that helps alot. The attribute that seems to come out of everyone that speaks of him is his strength. Any thoughts on where he might get drafted (I'm not sure where he ranks right now)?

22. An Ape called Yoko

Student
    Home Page:
    I have no idea where he will be drafted. Too early to tell. As usual a good preformance in U18 WC helps a lot. Im guessing second day and fourth or fifth round maybe???

23. markov`

markov` Registered User

Home Page:
    What about Niklas Bergfors ? Is in in the SEL or in the under 20 ?

24. An Ape called Yoko

Student
    Home Page:
    He was on the fourth line in Sodertalje and SEL. Now when Jokinen was recruited, he was sent down to the U20 team to get more icetime. But he is too good for J20 SuperElit(the best juniorleague) and will be called back.

He was awesome today. His team won with 5-2 against Huddinge. Nicklas Bergfors was involved in all goals. He scored one goal and four assists. His teammate Anze Kopitar left the game without a point.

I think its safe to say that Bergfors would have produced more points than Anze Kopitar if he had been on the u20 team whole year. Even if Anze has been producing great.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2004
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.