Top upsets in Hockey history

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
This doesnt have to be in just the NHL but rather all of Hockey, int'l competitions as well. This doesnt include round robin games in the Olympics (think Can/Swi in '06) or regular season NHL games. Just games/series that were in the playoffs or Olympics elimination games

Here's some options. Which one is the most shocking?

LA Kings beating Edmonton in '82. They had a 48 point difference in the regular season and let's not forget the "Miracle on Manchester

USA vs. Russia 1980 Olympics. The "Miracle on Ice" was as shocking as a game as you may ever see. It was only one game but still!

Belarus vs. Sweden 2002 Olympics. Sweden should never have let it get to this point. With 3 minutes left a shot near centre ice goes off Salo's head and in for the winning goal. Belarus wins. Yikes!

NYI vs. Pittsburgh in 1993. 7 games series lost on David Volek's OT winner. Pittsburgh was two-time defending Cup champs. Say it aint so Mario. 32 points separated these two.

Minnesota vs. Chicago 1991. 38 points separated these two teams. Minnesota was a cinderella team. Belfour had his first taste of playoff failure that year. But still how did they beat the best team in the league that year?

Edmonton vs. Calgary 1986. I know these two knew each other very well but still a 30 point difference and by far the best in the game and still Edmonton lost in 7?

Montreal vs. Toronto 1945. Montreal may have had arguably the best team ever to date and they lost to a barely .500 Leaf team. The Habs beat Toronto 10-3 in Game 5 but didnt save any of it for Game 6.

Boston vs. Montreal 1930. While it's not a shocking upset of biblical proportions Boston had the best winning% in NHL history - that still stands. Montreal had a decent team in Howie Morenz and c0. but were 26 points behind the Bruins, which in a 44 game season is spectacular.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
I remember reading somewhere about a game between the USSR and Poland. I think it was back in the 1970's at either a World Championship or Olympics. Anyway, the Soviets had destroyed Poland by a ridiculous score (along the lines of 15-0) in an exhibition leading up to the tournament. The two sides met again in the actual competition and Poland amazingly pulled off a 4-4 tie. I'm sure somebody here has the exact details.

Another one for the list: Boston and Montreal in 1971. That was probably Boston's best team of the era, the defending champs, went 57-14-7, with 7 guys in the top 10 in league scoring. Rookie Ken Dryden and the Habs shouldn't have had a chance, even though they had an impressive regular season record as well. But how many times has Boston lost to Montreal when victory seemed certain, so maybe it's really not that surprising.

Similar were the 1986 Oilers. That was probably their greatest team as well, but they didn't win the Cup.

EDIT: The good folks here have informed me that it was the 1976 World Championship, and Poland actually WON the game 6-4 (I had been told it was a tie, apparently not)

Last edited:

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Though the point difference between the two teams wasn't that large (18), I'd argue that the Sharks upsetting the Red Wings in 1994 has to be up there with the most improbable of all time.

The Wings had one 100 point scorer, one 90 point scorer, one 80 points scorer, and three 70 point scorers. They scored over 100 goals more than the Sharks in the regular season. The Sharks had no players with 70 points.

Wetcoaster

Another one for the list: Boston and Montreal in 1971. That was probably Boston's best team of the era, the defending champs, went 57-14-7, with 7 guys in the top 10 in league scoring. Rookie Ken Dryden and the Habs shouldn't have had a chance, even though they had an impressive regular season record as well. But how many times has Boston lost to Montreal when victory seemed certain, so maybe it's really not that surprising.

That is my choice as well.

Also the 1967 Leafs were a big surprise.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
I remember reading somewhere about a game between the USSR and Poland. I think it was back in the 1970's at either a World Championship or Olympics. Anyway, the Soviets had destroyed Poland by a ridiculous score (along the lines of 15-0) in an exhibition leading up to the tournament. The two sides met again in the actual competition and Poland amazingly pulled off a 4-4 tie. I'm sure somebody here has the exact details.
It was the 1976 World Championships. Poland beat the Soviets 6-4. Always wondered if Russia's sloppy performance in that tourney may have played a role in the decision to give some other players the chance to represent them in the Canada Cup that year.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The 67 Leafs beat what was probably the best Blackhawk team ever assembled.

Edit: It still has to be the Miracle on Ice. We weren't even supposed to be able to skate with them, much less make it a game. Overachievement at it's finest.

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
In terms of point differential from the regular season, from what I can tell the biggest upsets are:

48 points -- 1982 -- Los Angeles 63 -- Edmonton 111 -- (LA wins 3-2)
38 points -- 1991 -- Minnesota 68 -- Chicago 106 -- (Minn wins 4-2)
37 points -- 1991 -- Minnesota 68 -- St. Louis 105 -- (Minn wins 4-2)
36 points -- 1951 -- Montreal 65 -- Detroit 101 -- (Mont wins 4-2)
33 points -- 1981 -- NY Rangers 74 -- St. Louis 107 -- (NYR win 4-2)
32 points -- 1993 -- NY Islanders 87 -- Pittsburgh 119 -- (NYI win 4-3)
32 points -- 1986 -- NY Rangers 78 -- Philadelphia 110 -- (NYR win 3-2)
30 points -- 1986 -- Calgary 89 -- Edmonton 119 -- (Calgary wins 4-3)

(let me know if there are discrepancies)

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
Definitely Poland's upset of USSR. Not only was it the only win for Poland against the USSR ever, it was also the only time a game between the two was even COMPETITIVE.

The US had actually beat the USSR before and was capable of giving the USSR a good game every now and then. But usually when Poland and the USSR met, it wasn't even fair.

Although the Miracle on Ice is a close second on the pure fact that it was a bunch of college kids. Though the U.S.'s college kids were probably just as good if not better than Poland's top players.

LVIsles*

I voted for 93 Isles but I looked past 80 Miracle,, Imo I think the Isles over Pens was the biggest upset in NHL history, Isles also didnt have Turgeon(who was by far their best player) thanks to the hit from Hunter

MAF

Feb 22, 2005
1996 World Cup of Hockey

Germany 7 - 1 Czech Repuclic

DevilsSMASH

May 2, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Call me a homer, but the Devils sweeping the Red Wings in '95 is a tempting option. No one thought the Devils would win, nonetheless sweep the talent-laden Red Wings.

Other than that, I'd have to go with 1980 miracle on ice.

GNick42

It was the 1976 World Championships. Poland beat the Soviets 6-4. Always wondered if Russia's sloppy performance in that tourney may have played a role in the decision to give some other players the chance to represent them in the Canada Cup that year.

Was this a fore warning for the Team USA upset to come a few years later

saskganesh

Jun 19, 2006
the Annex
USA> Soviets 80. Great game and great drama. I couldn't believe my eyes.

To keep things interesting I voted Oilers> Canadiens in '81. First round 3-0 sweep. Young Gretzky wiht support from Anderson, Messier, Lowe, Moog etc with help from guys like Matti Hagman and Brett Callahan just dominated a loaded Habs team only two years removed from four Stanley Cups. It was a real changing of the guard type historical moment and the Oilers' first post season success.

FelixPotvin29GOAT

Feb 23, 2007
1994 - San jose beats Detroit in 7

1996 - Florida beating Philadelphia in 6

1998 - Ottawa beating New jersey in 6

2001 - La beating Detroit in 6

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad