Speculation: Top UFA enforcers?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Sure if you want the league completely soft and stripped of the past

Agreed. It's this like a new generation thing? More and more HF posters are anti fighting these days, like they are the ones that have to do it or something.

Breakaways or fights are still the only things that make people stand on their feet during game play in this league

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Yeah because I like fights that's all I want to see. I understand as a Canes fan you can't relate, but I used to like the 5-4 games, with 3-4 fights and lots of bad blood.

What you’re describing now isn’t staged fight bs which is what we were talking about in the first place.

I think fighting has a place in the game but I have no interest in seeing two guys who can barely skate take one shift for the sole purpose of fighting each other.

Reactions: north49er

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
What you’re describing now isn’t staged fight bs which is what we were talking about in the first place.

I think fighting has a place in the game but I have no interest in seeing two guys who can barely skate take one shift for the sole purpose of fighting each other.
I dont think anyone is calling for that, but the days of Probert, McSorely, Domi and Grimson, those guys could play as well.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

Sometimes those fights actually fire up a lifeless bench. Again give me a fighter over a 12th forward that can skate fast and do nothing else. I'll take Colton Orr over some other AHL caliber player.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Sometimes those fights actually fire up a lifeless bench. Again give me a fighter over a 12th forward that can skate fast and do nothing else. I'll take Colton Orr over some other AHL caliber player.

Why is the alternative to Orr an ahl caliber player? Fourth lines are getting more talented all the time. Not wasting a spot on a guy like Orr also could create an opening for a talented rookie to work his way into the lineup.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Actually it's not. Reaves,Mike Haley, Tom Wilson, McLeod,Thorborn,Martin and more are enforcers, no mater what caps fans say.

Wilson has 47 points in 94 games this year. He plays on the top line of a team that made it to the SCF on the back of their top line being one of their biggest strength. He is a dirty player, a hard hitter, and a great fighter who doesn’t afraid of anything. He would be one of the 12 best forwards on any NHL team. He’s not a “goon”. A goon is a player whose hockey skills are not NHL level, but whose fighting abilities keep them getting games from their coach. Ryan Reaves applies.

Chris 84

Sep 15, 2007
Well you’d be wrong. He’s way tougher than them and a much better fighter.

yup, and furthermore, he will fight much more frequently than them based on ice time at least because that is his role. his actual hockey skills are very limited compared to the other guys mentioned.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
As mentioned, the strictly scrappers have been pushed out of the game. That still leaves room for guys who can get aggressive and still score. Prime Lucic was my favorite from the current era (even though I hated the Bruins)

Theo Fleury, Wendel Clark, Cam Neely, Probert, Tocchet.....all guys who could score a goal and then beat the shit out of someone. My favorite style of player.

Those multi purpose players will always be a huge commodity.

WeWentBlues

May 3, 2017
Kinda sad when he's considered a top enforcer.

Everyone knows if he played when you needed him he'd have to be a middleweight, maybe even a high-end lightweight. The enforcers then alhlx just wreck Reaves.
Reaves is a monster. I'd put him up against any era.

north49er

Dec 20, 2017
Aaaah Colton Orr, a mainstay of hockey greatness, 12 goals and 12 assists in 11 years. I sure want to pay big money to attend an NHL game to watch that. As someone said previously the LNAH is still out there? There are still plenty of tough players out there who don't act as "enforcers".

Reactions: Cardiac_Canes

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Aaaah Colton Orr, a mainstay of hockey greatness, 12 goals and 12 assists in 11 years. I sure want to pay big money to attend an NHL game to watch that. As someone said previously the LNAH is still out there? There are still plenty of tough players out there who don't act as "enforcers".

Too each their own. Again wanting a guy like Orr to be be your 12th forward doesn't mean all you want to see is fights but nice hyperbole

In his Toronto career in 6 min avg ice time per game he had over 360 hits and a st ptg of over 9 which is more than adequate for a 4th liner

Last edited:

Slomo

May 27, 2018
You guys forgot about Enstrom. Dude will lay down the law with the biggest stick in the league!!

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
UFA Enforcers: Chris Stewart, Ryan Reaves, Jordan Nolan, Jared Boll, Cody McLeod
UFA Pests: Antoine Roussel, Leo Komarov, Zac Rinaldo
UFA Tough Guys: Kyle Brodziak, Patrick Maroon, Roman Polak, Lance Bouma, Luke Schenn, Kevin Bieksa

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Agreed. It's this like a new generation thing? More and more HF posters are anti fighting these days, like they are the ones that have to do it or something.

Breakaways or fights are still the only things that make people stand on their feet during game play in this league
It is generational, the people that grew up watching 70/80/90s hockey are the ones that tend to have a belief that goons and fighting are normal and traditional. The problem is that period is the anomaly not today. Mass expansion meant teams filled out their rosters with bad filler, goons were that filler, the league rode the wave of violence as it generated publicity.

NHL Fights Per Game, Year-by-Year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad