Bergeron
Phaneuf

How my doin'?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Under twenty makes a differance. If it was twenty and under, my list would look a lot differant. Players like Lehtonen, Nash, and Bouwmeester would make the cut. Here is my list of Under 20's.

1. Alexander Ovechkin
2. Marc Andre Fleury
3. Eric Staal
4. Dion Phaneuf
5. Nikolai Zherdev
6. Evegeny Malkin
7. Nathan Horton
8. Zach Parise
9. Patrice Bergeron
10. Sidney Crosby

Note: Nash turns 20 in 12 days, so i'm not really considering him under 20 anymore since he won't play another game as an under twenty.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
As poster Caniacforever pointed out, many of the NHL's young guns are 20 or older, but you talked about players that are under 20. Here are my own preferences:

1. Alexander Ovechkin
2. Eric Staal
3. Marc Andre Fleury
4. Evgenii Malkin
5. Sidney Crosby
6. Nathan Horton
7. Nikolai Zherdev
8. Patrice Bergeron
9. Andrei Kastsitsyn
10. Dion Phaneuf

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
1-Alexander Ovechkin
2-Nikolai Zherdev
3-Eric Staal
4-Sidney Crosby
5-Evgenii Malkin
6-Nathan Horton
7-MA Fleury
8-Gilbert Brule
9-Pat Bergeron
10-Zach Parise

EDIT: No Nash allowed, not a rookie in the NHL.

X0ssbar

1 - Crosby
2 - Ovechkin
3 - Zherdev
4 - Nash
5 - Bergeron
6 - Fleury
7 - Staal
8 - Horton
9 - Malkin
10 - Phaneuf

*I do not know a whole lot about the draft class of '05 besides Crosby so I am sure there should be one or two prospects from that draft class included in this list.

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
1-Alexander Ovechkin
2-Nathan Horton
3-Nikolai Zherdev
4-Sidney Crosby
5-Gilbert Brule
6-Evgeni Malkin
7-Marc-Andre Fleury
8-Eric Staal
9-Patrice Bergeron
10-Zach Parise

I know many will disagree but this is the top 10 under 20 IMO not including Nash who would be #1 if I counted him.

punkorama

Aug 3, 2003
The Moon&Antarctica
1-Nikolai Zherdev
2-Alexander Ovechkin
3-Evgeny Malkin
4-Eric Staal
5-Nathan Horton
6-Sidney Crosby
7-Thomas Vanek
8-Dion Phaneuf
9-Gilbert Brule
10-Andrew Ladd

Didn't choose Fleury because i put much less faith in rookie goalies, if i did based on what others say he would be 6 or 7.

Alex Kovalev

Apr 28, 2002
Burlington, Ontario
Visit site
Ill give her a go

1. Sidney Crosby
2. Alexander Ovechkin
3. Kari Lehtonen
4. Evgeni Malkin
5. Dion Phaneuf
6. Gilbert Brule
7. Ryan Suter
8. Andre Kastitsyn
9. Zach Parise
10. Ryan Whitney - Homer pick ;)

I dont really consider Staal, Zherdev, Fleury or Horton prospects really. I decided to go with guys with no NHL experience.

Im unsure whether Lehtonen is too old or not, but I decided to put him on anyhow because he deserves it.

Samkow

Now do Classical Gas
Jul 4, 2002
Detroit
I hate to sound like a whinny homer here, but Rick Nash should be on the top of everyones list...

He led the NHL in goal scoring as a teenager..... How many people have done that?

SwOOsh*

Alex Kovalev said:
Ill give her a go

1. Sidney Crosby
2. Alexander Ovechkin
3. Kari Lehtonen
4. Evgeni Malkin
5. Dion Phaneuf
6. Gilbert Brule
7. Ryan Suter
8. Andre Kastitsyn
9. Zach Parise
10. Ryan Whitney - Homer pick ;)

I dont really consider Staal, Zherdev, Fleury or Horton prospects really. I decided to go with guys with no NHL experience.

Im unsure whether Lehtonen is too old or not, but I decided to put him on anyhow because he deserves it.

Ryan Whitney, okay you tell the guy he is crazy for Semin and you put in Whitney rofl

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
How can Brule be put in the lists regularly and people say that Semin would be a bad choice. If he played in the QMJHL right now, he would torch the league at a goal a game or more. Look what he did in the AHL He's top 10 for me.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
littleHossa said:
How can Brule be put in the lists regularly and people say that Semin would be a bad choice. If he played in the QMJHL right now, he would torch the league at a goal a game or more. Look what he did in the AHL He's top 10 for me.

The question should not be "is Brule one of the best players under 20 in the world?".

The question should be "will (or when will) Brule be one of the best players under 20 in the world?".

He was not one of the 10 best players under 20 in the WHL last year.

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Well I read what the title creator asked, who are the best under 20 players, present tense. As for Brule becoming one of the best players under 20 in 2 years from now... scouts can barely predict how a 18 year old will develop, now people on HFBoards know for a certainty how a 17 year old will develop by that age.. a bit farfetched.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Exactly. This thread asked for the top 10 players under twenty years old right this minute. Not the top 10 players under twenty with the most potential. If that was the case then Alexander Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby should be at the top of all lists. However, I don't think Crosby as a 17 year old player would do as well as Zach Parise would right now or Dion Phaneuf or players that have had more seasoning and are more accomplished overall. I'll probably catch a little heat for that from some of the big time Crosby supporters on this board, but he's not nearly defensive enough yet to be as productive as those players. He's a fantastic prospect, but if we're talking about right now he's 10th on my list and I stand by that assesment. Crosby might end up being better than the whole lot, but if I had one season to play and one player under twenty to choose to be on my team, Crosby would be my 10th choice.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Caniacforever said:
Exactly. This thread asked for the top 10 players under twenty years old right this minute. Not the top 10 players under twenty with the most potential. If that was the case then Alexander Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby should be at the top of all lists. However, I don't think Crosby as a 17 year old player would do as well as Zach Parise would right now or Dion Phaneuf or players that have had more seasoning and are more accomplished overall. I'll probably catch a little heat for that from some of the big time Crosby supporters on this board, but he's not nearly defensive enough yet to be as productive as those players. He's a fantastic prospect, but if we're talking about right now he's 10th on my list and I stand by that assesment. Crosby might end up being better than the whole lot, but if I had one season to play and one player under twenty to choose to be on my team, Crosby would be my 10th choice.

I have no problem with your overall assessment. While he may be head and shoulders better than anyone else under 18 it may be quite debatable where he would be positioned in the top 10 under 20 years old, or arguably only in the top 20. I would not have placed him there 6 months ago but personally I would put him close to where you have him today.

I like Parise and think he is a character player but I wouldn't put him top ten although I do think he has a smart and well rounded game.

I do kind of wonder how capable you think Sid is defensively. From at least midpoint in the season he would be the first player on the ice for Rimouski in a defensive situation. He probably caused more turnovers defensively this year than anyone else in the Q. You could arguably call many of these offensive skills as he certainly had lots of unassisted breakaway chances. You could also say his physical play was more based on willingness to sacrifice himself to make plays than dihing it out. But I think he proved he could play any forward role other than enforcer or perhaps powerforward. If he played with kids his age he could play shifts with "powerforward" written all over him but of course we are comparing him as an under 20 here.

As far as picking him 10th for one season looking forward, I suspect you would regret not picking him earlier after very few months but of course that is both debatable and not relevant to "top 10 under 20 now".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->