Top Ten Offensemen (Offensive D-men)

Status
Not open for further replies.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
WOW....

leaf prospects are truly hated.. no carlo on this list is Pejorative Slured, yet we've decided to include guys who are a couple years behind and haven't touched professional hockey (nhl/ahl) yet.. good call...

and i agree with m=g.. daley is in there somewhere too, however not sure if he's a *prospect* with hf's criteria, it's like reading greek

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Leafaholix said:
Carlo Colaiacovo belongs in the top 5, easily.

Probably, IMO top ten for sure, this guy has impressed me a lot in the few games i've seen him play. I've even been frustrated at his lack of NHL ice-time, and i'm a sens fan.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
andora said:
and i agree with m=g.. daley is in there somewhere too, however not sure if he's a *prospect* with hf's criteria, it's like reading greek

He played 26 NHL games last year, so I would assume with guys like Horton and Zherdev considered prospects, Daley should be as well.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Another guy to consider for the tail end of the list is Jimmy Sharrow (Halifax Mooseheads).

He's a fun guy to watch on the ice.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Pitkanen, Bouwmeester and Daley come to mind but I guess they aren't "prospects" anymore, yet they're half a decade younger than some of the other guys listed.

Anyway, Anton Babchuk has an insane slapper from the point. He could score 20 goals one day.

Kirill Koltsov is a bit of a homer pick but he's more than worthy of a mention.

At the moment Dion Phaneuf has 4 goals and 3 assists in 5 games in the WHL. He's greatly improved offensively every year in the league. He must be considered.

Ryan Suter's name has been thrown around already. I don't know much about him but he must have the offensive skills to justify being picked ahead of Coburn and Phaneuf.

Apparently Brent Seabrooke is a PPQB in the making...
A few sleeper picks also in the Hawks organization. Duncan Keith and James Wisniewski. Note: I'm not a Hawks fan. No bias. They're just loaded.

If Brent Burns converts to defence full time, don't expect him to be a "stay-at-homer".

AJ Thelen is an offensive d-man...so I've heard.

Washington 1st rounders Jeff Schultz and Mike Green are better known for offense than defense.

Danny Richmond (Car), Grant Lewis (Atl), RJ Anderson (Phi), Wes O'Neil (NYI), Jonathan Paiement (NYR), Matt Carle (SJ), Jim Sharrow (Atl) AND Keith Ballard (Phx) deserve a mention.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Johan Fransson is a bit of a project but if he keeps developing he has the potential to be really really good. I´ve seen quit allot of hockey and I doubt I´ve ever seen anyone skate as good as him on a hockey rink. Defenitley Coffey like....

Crossbar

Apr 29, 2003
48" above the ice
Don't know if he'll be about to handle the defensive side of the game well enough but Lukas Krajicek is a highly regarded offensive prospect that should maybe make this top 10 list.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
andora said:

Daley's still a prospect according to HF (26 games vs limit of 65 games). He's just not a rookie anymore following NHL's guidelines..

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Oh, I can't really complain, seeing as how I myself forgot him, but Preds fifth round pick Janne Niskala lead the entire finnish elite league in scoring for defensemen last year (21 goals) and has been widely compared to both Timonen and Zidlicky, and was close to coming over to NA this year before the lockout, but then opted to stay in Finland one more year. This guy is going under the radar, even in Nashville. He looked incredible at rookie camp, same sort of magic stick skills as Zids.

Digable5

Buffalo Proton (Positively Charged)
Feb 23, 2004
West Seneca
No one mentions Brian Campbell???? He's all offense and no defence.

Just kidding of course, the guy's a bum.

But seriously I think Pock has a great chance of putting up big offensive numbers. A couple of dark horses that aren't at the level of the guys you mentioned, but are interesting "unknowns" are Gerard DiCaire and Denis Wideman. Wideman could become the next Pock. If Pock is even the next Pock.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Digable5 said:
No one mentions Brian Campbell???? He's all offense and no defence.

Just kidding of course, the guy's a bum.

But seriously I think Pock has a great chance of putting up big offensive numbers. A couple of dark horses that aren't at the level of the guys you mentioned, but are interesting "unknowns" are Gerard DiCaire and Denis Wideman. Wideman could become the next Pock. If Pock is even the next Pock.

Ah fock pock :lol (I just had to say it) He's a good offensive d-man, just not in the same league as thelen I think.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
wow, gerard dicaire makes an appearance.. hopefully he got bigger, stronger, and quicker since the whl or else he'll just be an ahl pp guy...

Puckhead

Jun 13, 2004
Behind you!!!
Reilly311 said:
He's the most overrated prospect perhaps of all time.

I really appreciate how you can keep your personal feelings aside and speak based solely on the players merit...! Go to the Leafs boards if you want to bash their prospects. Otherwise, try to stay on topic.

ChrisKreider20

But y u mad?
Jul 21, 2004
Toronto
Thelen was taken 12th in a relatively weak draft. I would barely include him in the list.

Look at other weak drafts. 99' for example... Who came out of that a star???

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Rancid said:
Thelen was taken 12th in a relatively weak draft. I would barely include him in the list.

Look at other weak drafts. 99' for example... Who came out of that a star???
I wouldn't think too much of where Thelen was ranked in the draft. People pay too much attention to that sort of thing. Just look at his accomplishments and watch him play, he's a very skilled offensive D.

Also, '99 was actually considered a strong draft year at the time.

Fish

Feb 27, 2002
www.outsidethegarden.com
I'm a big fan of both Pöck and Thelen, but having only seen about half the other guys I'm not sure where I'd rank them in comparison. I wouldn't expect either of them to become superstars, but I could see them both being in the top ten in terms of scoring at the NHL level some time during their careers...

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
IMO tyutin has a ton of talent...but likely won't be a high scoring D-man. if he truly focused on it he could probably score a lot but i don't think he will, more of a two-way guy.

pock is more likely to score more than him cuz i think it'll be more his focus. like fish said, i don't think he'll be a superstar or something but the guy has great skating ability, a hell of a shot, and has already shown some killer instinct at the NHL level. i don't think he'll be terrible at defense either (he showed a willingness to do what he needed to) but probably won't be great either...IMO, above average offensive player, average defensive player

i like him a lot though, glad the rangers picked him up

mooseOAK*

Reilly311 said:
He's the most overrated prospect perhaps of all time.

With his offensive statistics not being on the list makes him underrated. How many on the list ever led their teams in scoring?

Juicer

Mar 14, 2004
andora said:
WOW....

leaf prospects are truly hated.. no carlo on this list is Pejorative Slured, yet we've decided to include guys who are a couple years behind and haven't touched professional hockey (nhl/ahl) yet.. good call...

It seems that anytime a leaf player/prospect does not stack up, everyone is prejudice against the leafs. I like Carlo, but his stock is going down.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
mooseOAK said:
With his offensive statistics not being on the list makes him underrated. How many on the list ever led their teams in scoring?

Well below average size for an NHL defender. No physical game to speak of. Decent but not outstanding offensive stats. The list of guys with similar skill sets who've struggled to make any impact in pro (ie McCarthy, Campbell, etc.) is a very long one. Yeah, he had a great WJC, but so did guys like Rita, Gendron and Balmochynkh, and that far from guarantees a solid NHL career.

If Colaiacovo is ever anything more than an Andrew Ference-calibre decent #4 or #5 defender I'd be pretty surprised. And I think the odds are pretty good he'll be much less than that. Players with his level of size/skill/grit do not have a habit in recent NHL history of developing into quality top-4 defenders.

I don't think he's a poor prospect but I'd say he has a pretty hefty bust potential and I would agree completely that he's very overrated by Leaf fans in particular.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->