Top Ten & Goalies

Status
Not open for further replies.

sushinsky4tsar

Oct 17, 2002
Edina, MN
Visit site
It seems pretty likely that LA will go with a goaltender at 11. Do you guys think that there's any chance at all that a team in the top 10 would be the first to pick up (Schwarz)? If there currently isn't a team in the top 10 that needs a young goalie, do you think it's possible that a team drafting later in the first might trade up for Anaheim or Atlanta's pick if Schremp, Ladd, Tukonen, Thelen are off the board? Is there enough competition of teams desperate for a young goaltending prospect? Is Schwarz worthy of a top 10 selection?

leafaholix*

I really think that the only threat to take a goalie in the top 10 is Carolina... even then, I've heard Rutherford say that Cam Ward is their "franchise goaltender"... so that makes me think they won't draft one.

Marek Schwarz is going to be a stud... he's absolutely amazing... I really do think that Los Angeles will be the first team to draft a goaltender come June.

3. Chicago may also look at that option, but I don't think they'll pass up on Barker or Olesz to select Schwarz with a top 3 pick.

5. Phoenix looks somewhat weak in net, but they do have David LeNeveu.

6. I'm not sure what the Rangers will do at #6, they have Henrik Lundqvist in Sweden as well as Dan Blackburn.

Columbus (4), Florida (7), Anaheim (9), and Atlanta (10) seem to be set in goal for quite a few years.

agentfouser

Playoffs?!?!
Nov 30, 2003
Los Angeles
regarding los angeles, keep in mind that the people saying that they're going to draft a goalie have been fans - i cannot recall team sources ever mentioning anything about it. furthermore, while we can all agree that goaltending is a need in the system, i see fans wanting a top-notch goalie prospect as mainly a reaction to goaltending struggles with the big club, despite the fact that any goalie prospect taken now, even schwarz or montoya, are long-term, 5 year projects at best. so, while the organization may be looking to shore up that area, i don't think that they are dead-set on a first-round goalie by any means, and if a skater that they like is available, i think that the goalie needs will take a back seat and we will see them adressed in later rounds. especially with this years trades of aulin to the caps and anshakov to the pens, and the fact that los angeles has no 2nd rounder this year, the organization also needs to keep the supply of top-end (forward) talent coming in.

my honest prediction is that they don't take a goalie at #11.

leafaholix*

navigator said:
regarding los angeles, keep in mind that the people saying that they're going to draft a goalie have been fans - i cannot recall team sources ever mentioning anything about it. furthermore, while we can all agree that goaltending is a need in the system, i see fans wanting a top-notch goalie prospect as mainly a reaction to goaltending struggles with the big club, despite the fact that any goalie prospect taken now, even schwarz or montoya, are long-term, 5 year projects at best. so, while the organization may be looking to shore up that area, i don't think that they are dead-set on a first-round goalie by any means, and if a skater that they like is available, i think that the goalie needs will take a back seat and we will see them adressed in later rounds. especially with this years trades of aulin to the caps and anshakov to the pens, and the fact that los angeles has no 2nd rounder this year, the organization also needs to keep the supply of top-end (forward) talent coming in.

my honest prediction is that they don't take a goalie at #11.
Chances are that they're not going to pickup a goaltender of Schwarz's potential in the later rounds... from everything I've seen, he's got the athleticism and talent to become a dominent NHL goaltender in the mould of Dominik Hasek.

If he's around at 11, he'd be a steal... and I'm willing to bet that he will be available.

As for the "team sources" bit, I don't think any team has ever commented on what they're going to select in the draft publicly. They hardly talk about the draft.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
In what round do you guys estimate Dave Brown will be selected? I think he'd be a decent pickup in the 3rd round... much like Munce last season. I'd much rather prefer to see LA draft a C or D and select a goalie later on.
Unless somehow they are convinced one of Schwarz or Montoya are sure-fire #1 goalies in the NHL... I think this team is going to avoid having another Storr-fiasco... as they kept waiting for him to become the #1 and gave him the ball, but he kept fumbling it.

Fro the Love

Dec 17, 2003
Downey, CA
Visit site
Any team that would "hint" at which player they are looking at drafting would be making a critical mistake. Another team can take a closer look at that prospect and try to determine why the other team does want that player, and teams can draft a player and dangle him in front of the other team that is known to want him. It puts a team over a barrel to disclose draft information.

leafaholix*

Ziggy Stardust said:
In what round do you guys estimate Dave Brown will be selected? I think he'd be a decent pickup in the 3rd round... much like Munce last season. I'd much rather prefer to see LA draft a C or D and select a goalie later on.
Unless somehow they are convinced one of Schwarz or Montoya are sure-fire #1 goalies in the NHL... I think this team is going to avoid having another Storr-fiasco... as they kept waiting for him to become the #1 and gave him the ball, but he kept fumbling it.
Selecting a C or D would be as much a risk as selecting Schwarz or Montoya.

You've got to look at what you're organization lacks and which player has the most potential.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
sushinsky4tsar said:
It seems pretty likely that LA will go with a goaltender at 11. Do you guys think that there's any chance at all that a team in the top 10 would be the first to pick up (Schwarz)? If there currently isn't a team in the top 10 that needs a young goalie, do you think it's possible that a team drafting later in the first might trade up for Anaheim or Atlanta's pick if Schremp, Ladd, Tukonen, Thelen are off the board? Is there enough competition of teams desperate for a young goaltending prospect? Is Schwarz worthy of a top 10 selection?

X-SHARKIE

Leafaholix said:
I really think that the only threat to take a goalie in the top 10 is Carolina... even then, I've heard Rutherford say that Cam Ward is their "franchise goaltender"... so that makes me think they won't draft one.

Marek Schwarz is going to be a stud... he's absolutely amazing... I really do think that Los Angeles will be the first team to draft a goaltender come June.

3. Chicago may also look at that option, but I don't think they'll pass up on Barker or Olesz to select Schwarz with a top 3 pick.

6. I'm not sure what the Rangers will do at #6, they have Henrik Lundqvist in Sweden as well as Dan Blackburn.

Columbus (4), Florida (7), Anaheim (9), and Atlanta (10) seem to be set in goal for quite a few years.

:handclap: :handclap: Finally somone else on these boards sees that Schwarz is the real deal...I think Schwarz well also fall to the Kings unless a trade is made....and The Kings could have the steal of the 1st round. GREAT CALL LEAFAHOLIX...no one else Gives Schwarz respect.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Leafaholix said:

I take it you mean CHI would trade DOWN for thr right offer,NOT that they would trade up or drat at #3 ANY GOALIE........because if their is one team in the NHL that does not need a goalie --it is Chicago......a healthy T-bo ( we can argue whether his stellar 2002/03 season was a fluke and if healthy again will he resume that form),Leighton (just pitched 2 shutouts in a row against Binghampton to advance Norfolk to the next rounf of the AHL playoffs),Anderson,then 2 stellar Jr. goalies in Crawford and Brodeur,2 NCAA prospects goalies in Berkhoel (star of the Frozen Four leading Denver to victory) and Ayers(admittedly not so good a year at New Hampshire--but you cannot ignore his other t 3 years their were stellar)--these 2 still must be signed.....and Adam Munro= a STABLE of young goalies ..they do not need a goalie round one--ALBEIT with 4 picks in round 2 they might select a goalie--simply because there could be a good one still left on the board -- probably with their 2nd pick of that round (LA slot) who would be THE BPA left on the board.....and you can always stockpile goalie assets....So for them to trade DOWN to let some other team take any goalie at #3,which what I think you are saying,it would take quite an offer (I would not refuse say WASH offer of their 2nd and 3rd picks of round one of 2004 PLUS their 2005 first rounder for the CHI #3 pick in round one plus CHI's 3rd +4th picks in round two of the 2004 draft)---for any other teams(since CBJ and PHX likely won't want to trade up for a goalie at #3 overall,though they might do so for another position),picks won't be enough --it would have to involve a top young player or drafted prospect(s)... the only scenarios for CHI to move down that I would take involving only picks are the WASH scenario I outlined above if WASH felt it could not wait to get maybe only their 2nd or 3rd rated goalie later in round oneand would do that deal to get their top rated goalie,OR a deal with CBJ or PHX ---eg. if CBJ really wants Barker and CHI instead announces they would take him unless CBJ deals up for him,or if PHX wanted a forward they otherwise feel CHI would take off the board--the only "price" I would want from CBJ or PHX would be an option to CHI (which CHI might never even exercise) to switch first rounders for the 2005 draft....in any of the 3 scenarios (WASH,CBJ or PHX) ,CHI would come out with 2 lotto chances at Crosby for 2005 if lock-out of entire 2004/05 seasonand reversion to 2003/04 season finishes for determining 2005 lotto ......if CHI wins lotto --they don't exercise any option from CBJ or PHX---if either CBJ or PHX wins,they do so exercise...or if the deal was with WASH and CHI has 2 first rounders in 2005 as a result,then again CHI has 2 lotto chances at Crosby........these sceanrios are the only ones involving picks only for which I would move down from #3 if I were CHI...

Otherewise,let us assume only 2 goalies go in round one--(Schwarz and Montoya)
--PIT probably won't take a goalie with their frst pick in round two ("franchise" Fleury)---CHI probably won't either with the #32 pick overall---but might take one at #45 ---so the question is will Dubnyk,Shantz,Peters, Ellis all be off the boards between #32 and #45? If not,Hawks will probably grab another good one at that slot...or if the prospects they really covet at #32 are all off the board by then,they might just not wait till #45 to grab another goalie talent,but take one then (even though they do not need another goalie prospect in their deep system at the position) --it is just that the 2004 draft is not deep and so a goalie may be THE BPA right through the mid-point of round two......

leafaholix*

X-SHARKIE said:
:handclap: :handclap: Finally somone else on these boards sees that Schwarz is the real deal...I think Schwarz well also fall to the Kings unless a trade is made....and The Kings could have the steal of the 1st round. GREAT CALL LEAFAHOLIX...no one else Gives Schwarz respect.
I think it's because of his games vs. Canada... he was very average in the two games, and that made quite a negative impression.

I personally think he's the most athletic and acrobatic goaltender to come out of any of the last 10 drafts... he's absolutely amazing and quick.

Unfortunately, he's a Philadelphia Flyers fan... and that really urks me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad