SPARTAKUS*

Here's mine:

1. Roy 6. Dryden

2. Tretyak 7. Brodeur

3. Plante 8. Parent

4. Hasek 9. Belfour

5. Sawchuk 10. Fuhr

wildone26*

It is hard for me to know what to do with Fuhr. His career greatness is more based on team accomplishment then individual ability, not that he didnt have any individual event, just not as much as many others.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
wildone26 said:
It is hard for me to know what to do with Fuhr. His career greatness is more based on team accomplishment then individual ability, not that he didnt have any individual event, just not as much as many others.

Wait, it's hard for you to know what to do with Fuhr, but you've got a bunch of guys you've never seen (Thompson, Hainsworth, Durnan, etc.) figured out to the point where you can slot them? Okay.

Only working with the guys I've seen, in no particular order:

Plante
Bower
Tony E
Hall
Parent
Dryden
Roy
Belfour
Dominator
Brodeur

(Vachon just misses)

wildone26*

moneyp said:
Wait, it's hard for you to know what to do with Fuhr, but you've got a bunch of guys you've never seen (Thompson, Hainsworth, Durnan, etc.) figured out to the point where you can slot them? Okay.

Only working with the guys I've seen, in no particular order:

Plante
Bower
Tony E
Hall
Parent
Dryden
Roy
Belfour
Dominator
Brodeur

(Vachon just misses)

Yeah I see your point but I felt I should acknowledge their credentials to some extent even if they were probably in a time of much weaker competition then today.

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
The thing about Fuhr is he didn't care about GAA or save percentage. Like other deserved HHOF goalies like Gerry Cheevers or Billy Smith, Fuhr cared about one thing: winning. A 6-1 win was the same thing as a 6-5 win. But when you needed that big save in the final five minutes of a one-goal game, Fuhr was money. He's one of the best big-save, big-game goalies in NHL history. That's why he was the No. 1 goalie for a team that one four cups. That's why he won so many games. And that's why he was a sure-fire, first ballot inductee into the HHOF.

wildone26*

I agree he is great in his own way, he was clutch, even if he wasnt statisticaly outrageously strong. Still he did play for such a great great team and it is hard to overlook that, even if he deserves due credit as well. It was a tough choice who to leave off my personal top 10 list since 16-18 could have been on it.

Sens Rule

Sep 22, 2005
wildone26 said:
These would be mine in order:

1)Patrick Roy
2)Terry Sawchuk
3)Jacques Plante
4)Ken Dryden
5)Bill Durnan
6)Martin Brodeur
7)Tiny Thompson
8)Ed Belfour
9)George Hainsworth
10)Tony Esposito

Gotta have Hasek on this list. He is the most dominant modern goalie. Better than Belfour or Esposito for sure among more modern goalies. 2 Hart trophies!

wildone26*

cup2006sensrule said:
Gotta have Hasek on this list. He is the most dominant modern goalie. Better than Belfour or Esposito for sure among more modern goalies. 2 Hart trophies!

Hasek is inferior to Ray Emery who is about the 750th best goalie of all time according to Bryan Murray, a veteran and highly respected NHL coach. Thus for that reason I dropped him from my top 10, imagine a top 10 goalie all time backing up somebody like Ray Emery, would never happen. None of the guys on my list were ever backup goalies once they first became starters.

wildone26*

So far two have Roy on top, and one has Sawchuk. Sawchuk was incredable in the tapes I saw of him, I would love to see what he would have done in the modern game today.

Wells

Mar 29, 2006
I forgot about Emerys two Hart Trophies? not to mention his collection of Vezinas. Also Hasek got injured so now your claiming hes inferior to Ray Emery? if that was the case why wasn't Emery starting all season for the Sens. I do not post much here I just read alot but this is the stupidest thing I have ever read here that isn't a trade proposal.

Lmfao at a top ten goaltending list that doesn't include Hasek but finds room for Belfour

wildone26 said:
Hasek is inferior to Ray Emery who is about the 750th best goalie of all time according to Bryan Murray, a veteran and highly respected NHL coach. Thus for that reason I dropped him from my top 10, imagine a top 10 goalie all time backing up somebody like Ray Emery, would never happen. None of the guys on my list were ever backup goalies once they first became starters.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
A strong argument can be made for Hasek as the best goalie ever. I can't imagine how he's any lower than 5 on anyone's list here.

wildone26*

Wells said:
I forgot about Emerys two Hart Trophies? not to mention his collection of Vezinas.

While that may be true Emery is still superior to Hasek according to a veteran coach like Bryan Murray, so while that does not mean I would not rate him far above Emery, I could not imagine putting Hasek in the top 10 all time. No goalie in the top 10 all time would be demoted to backup to such an average goalie like Emery.

Also Hasek got injured so now your claiming hes inferior to Ray Emery?

I did not say he was inferior to Emery, I said that a very experienced NHL coach like Bryan Murray believes he is inferior to Emery; and that is sufficient enough for me to not have him in my top 10.

if that was the case why wasn't Emery starting all season for the Sens.

If that wasnt the case Hasek would have been the starter had he returned which is not the case.

Lmfao at a top ten goaltending list that doesn't include Hasek but finds room for Belfour

Belfour was never a backup goalie once he first became a starter like Hasek was.

wildone26*

So far their have been 14 different goalies chosen by somebody for a spot in the top 10. It appears I underrated Tretiak in comparision to some people. :D

Wells

Mar 29, 2006
wildone26 said:
While that may be true Emery is still superior to Hasek according to a veteran coach like Bryan Murray, so while that does not mean I would not rate him far above Emery, I could not imagine putting Hasek in the top 10 all time. No goalie in the top 10 all time would be demoted to backup to such an average goalie like Emery.

2 Harts, 6 Vezinas I wonder what Bryan Murray thinks about that

I did not say he was inferior to Emery, I said that a very experienced NHL coach like Bryan Murray believes he is inferior to Emery; and that is sufficient enough for me to not have him in my top 10.

So one coaches opinion is sufficient enough for YOUR top 10 list, can you not make your own opinions?

If that wasnt the case Hasek would have been the starter had he returned which is not the case.

Hasek said he didn't feel that he would help the team with how he was feeling in the playoffs. If Dom had said I am 100 percent right now then ofcourse he was starting.

Belfour was never a backup goalie once he first became a starter like Hasek was.
So because Messier was not a first line center his whole career his legacy should be tarnished? Gilmour? or do they not count because they are not goalies. Your completely right Steve Yzerman should not crack anything better than a top two hundred since hes a 3rd liner inferior to Datsyuk, Zberg etc. (For people who can't detect sarcasm I love Yzerman :))

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
wildone26 said:

Wow, I thought you were joking earlier...and I really hope you are...

No offence, but your argument completely lacks logic and common sense of any sort.

Emery only played because Hasek was injured...everyone knows that. How hurt was he? Who knows, the guy is a flake. But if he said he was good to go, he clearly would have been the starter for Ottawa, as he was still one of the better goalies in the league (see: first half of the 2005/06 season). He was never a backup. He was an injured starter. You might as well say Chris Mason is better than Tomas Vokoun if you think Emery is better than Hasek.

Secondly, the dude is like 41 years old and falling apart. If you judge any player by what they do in their 40's, you don't have a very solid grip on reality. I mean, what's all the hype about this Yzerman guy? He looks like nothing more than a 3rd line center to me...

Thirdly...did you watch NHL between 1993 and 2003?

wildone26*

Messier was a backup centre behind Wayne Gretzky, Hasek was a backup goalie to Ray Emery. I am sure you can see the difference if you think about it. If Hasek was backing up Brodeur to end his career I wouldnt look at it the same way either, he was backing up Emery. A 2nd line centre vs a first line centre is not the same as a starting goalie vs a backup goalie. Alot of times on a team top 3 lines of forwards play almost the same amount of time, and it is just about who fits with who, balancing the scoring some, etc.....A backup goalie by the playoffs is the clear inferior choice to do nothing at all barring something going wrong.

No top 10 all-time goalie would be a backup goalie at any point in his career once he became starter, especialy behind somebody like Ray Emery.

Wells

Mar 29, 2006
wildone26 said:
Messier was a backup centre behind Wayne Gretzky, Hasek was a backup goalie to Ray Emery. I am sure you can see the difference if you think about it. If Hasek was backing up Brodeur to end his career I wouldnt look at it the same way either, he was backing up Emery. A 2nd line centre vs a first line centre is not the same as a starting goalie vs a backup goalie. Alot of times on a team top 3 lines of forwards play almost the same amount of time, and it is just about who fits with who, balancing the scoring some, etc.....A backup goalie by the playoffs is the clear inferior choice to do nothing at all barring something going wrong.

No top 10 all-time goalie would be a backup goalie at any point in his career once he became starter, especialy behind somebody like Ray Emery.

Hasek was injured what do you not understand about that, so if Roy had been playing for the Sens this season and went down playing in the Olympics and was not fully healthy in the playoffs and hence did not start for them he would not be a top ten goalie? such a moronic argument.

wildone26*

I dont want this turning into another Hasek board, so I will just put it out simply:

1)Hasek was only the backup goalie during the playoffs. If he had returned he was backing up Emery, thus the backup goalie. If Vokoun had mysteriously returned from his blood clots he would have been starting over Mason hands down so that is not a good example.

2)Yes he is 40 but would any of my top 10 goalie all time have been a backup to the likes of Ray Emery if they were on the same team as a 40 year old? Could you imagine Roy, Brodeur, or even Belfour as Emery's "backup" if they were 40? Of course not.

3)I refuse to include a goalie who was only a backup behind somebody like Ray Emery at any point in his career in my top 10 all time, too many great goalies to shut out for somebody was ever backing up the 750th best goalie of all time for any period of time. Simple as that.

wildone26*

Wells said:
Hasek was injured what do you not understand about that, so if Roy had been playing for the Sens this season and went down playing in the Olympics and was not fully healthy in the playoffs and hence did not start for them he would not be a top ten goalie? such a moronic argument.

Roy would have been the starter the moment he returned from his injury on any team he was on, even as a 40 year old, no coach would even think of making him the backup if he returned. He is too great for that.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
wildone26 said:

To reiterate:

1. Hasek was not a backup. He was injured, hence, a replacement was needed or they would have played with an empty net. Enter Ray Emery. Not as good as Hasek, but certainly an upgrade over an empty net on most nights.

2. Judging any player by what they do at age 41 is incredibly stupid and short-sighted. Dave Andreychuk was cut at age 41. When you think of Dave Andreychuk, do you think of a player who wasn't even good enough to play in the NHL?

3. See points #1 and #2.

Wells

Mar 29, 2006
You respond about Messier but ignore Yzerman, Gilmour and a list that could go on and on. If Yzerman is so amazing he would never be reduced to a third liner ever :shakehead

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
wildone26 said:
I dont want this turning into another Hasek board, so I will just put it out simply:

1)Hasek was only the backup goalie during the playoffs. If he had returned he was backing up Emery, thus the backup goalie. If Vokoun had mysteriously returned from his blood clots he would have been starting over Mason hands down so that is not a good example.

2)Yes he is 40 but would any of my top 10 goalie all time have been a backup to the likes of Ray Emery if they were on the same team as a 40 year old? Could you imagine Roy, Brodeur, or even Belfour as Emery's "backup" if they were 40? Of course not.

3)I refuse to include a goalie who was only a backup behind somebody like Ray Emery at any point in his career in my top 10 all time, too many great goalies to shut out for somebody was ever backing up the 750th best goalie of all time for any period of time. Simple as that.

Mike Morrison was the backup. Hasek didn't dress because HE WAS INJURED.

Do you have any idea how much panic there was in the city of Ottawa because they would have to ride the Emery-Morrison combo throughout the playoffs?

Hasek was getting mentioned as a Vezina candidate this season prior to his injury, and was selected as the #1 goalie for his country at the Olympics. He was clearly better than Emery. His GAA was nearly a point lower. I don't know why this is so hard for you.

If he was able to play (hence, dressed) and was on the bench, then yes, that would make him the backup. But he was unable to play (hence, not dressed), which simply makes him injured, not benched.

wildone26*

arrbez said:
To reiterate:

1. Hasek was not a backup. He was injured, hence, a replacement was needed or they would have played with an empty net. Enter Ray Emery. Not as good as Hasek, but certainly an upgrade over an empty net on most nights.

He was a backup. Murray had press conferences where he talked about asking Hasek to return to backup Ray Emery.

2. Judging any player by what they do at age 41 is incredibly stupid and short-sighted. Dave Andreychuk was cut at age 41. When you think of Dave Andreychuk, do you think of a player who wasn't even good enough to play in the NHL?

I am not judging Hasek to be as weak as he would be deemed to be in his final year, so that is not a good parralel comparision. Hasek was deemed apparently to be weaker then the 750th best goalie of all time(Emery)as a 40 year old, which is enough to put him out of the top 10 all time in my list, still far above the out of the top 750 all time he was deemed in his final year. Andreychuk of course was far above a player good enough to play in the NHL, even though he wasnt good enough to be in the NHL at 41.

3. See points #1 and #2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad