Top ten Defensive prospects

• Thread starter Vic Rattlehead*
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

leafaholix*

Kritty said:
Wow! Just wow! By your reasoning, there are stars in the game today who shouldn't be as good as they are just because they didn'tn sign a contract before anyone else. Who gives a rat's you know what about when a player signs a contract. Nickerson is borderline #4 material, let alone top 10 in the entire league. Get your head checked. And soon.

And to Leafaholix, Burns is originally a dman. He was converted to a forward when he was in junior because Stan Butler thought he had potential as a power forward. So he knows how to play the position.
He was drafted high as a forward, so it's impossible to say he's as good a prospect on the blue line as he is up front.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
He's better. Burns didn't like being a forward in the NHL and felt more comfortable as a defenseman because of the responsibilities. He loosened up a little more, played the body, let loose a few slappers, and felt more comfortable playing the blueline. He is currently playing defense on the Aeros and already has a helper in a preseason game. I think the Wild are comfortable with him on the blueline and I think Burns likes it more than being a forward.

His potential could be greater then Schultz for the Wild. He could be a nice top 3, top 4 defenseman for them and plays responsible defense while adding a few points in goals and assists. The Wild definitely needed someone like him, who can get physical when needed, can rush the puck, can hold the puck, has good size, has potential on the blueline.

He's 6'4", about average for a defenseman and maybe will grow a little more, but even if he doesn't, he has good size. He has a nice shot, and he skates well.

What else do you want from a guy that has played defense for almost his entire life?

Last edited:

leafaholix*

DoobieDoobieDo said:
He's better. Burns didn't like being a forward in the NHL and felt more comfortable as a defenseman because of the responsibilities. He loosened up a little more, played the body, let loose a few slappers, and felt more comfortable playing the blueline. He is currently playing defense on the Aeros and already has a helper in a preseason game. I think the Wild are comfortable with him on the blueline and I think Burns likes it more than being a forward.
He may have been better on the blue line last year than up front, but that doesn't mean he would have gone as high as he did if he played as a defenseman in juniors prior to being drafted.

theo6060

Feb 7, 2003
Visit site
Raven25 said:
Hmm.. no Trevor Daley or Kevin Klein anywhere.. interesting
Now I'm one of the biggest Klein backers out there, but I'm not sure he'd be deserving a top 10. Top 15 maybe, definitely top 20 IMO. And a few Honorable mentions were in there for him.

How Grebeshkov isn't in some of these top 10's is beyond me..

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
*shrugs* Might have not but the Wild draft some of the most interesting characters and players in the draft.

Burns
+ Good skating ability
+ Good size
+ Good shot
+ Physical

- Is still adjusting to his size
- Moved from defense to forward to defense, cutting into his development
- Offensive production could come into question

I think the Wild might have taken him in the 1st round if he was a defenseman but it's hard to say. The answer still remains, he deserves an HM because he is a very solid defenseman

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
nomorekids said:
1.Suter
2.Phaneuf
3.Whitney
4.Barker
5. Tyutin
6. Grebeshkov
7. Ballard
8. Smid
9. Mezarjos
10. Thelen

Interesting list but I am surprised not to see Coburn anywhere. I like him better than your #1.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
theo6060 said:
Now I'm one of the biggest Klein backers out there, but I'm not sure he'd be deserving a top 10. Top 15 maybe, definitely top 20 IMO. And a few Honorable mentions were in there for him.

How Grebeshkov isn't in some of these top 10's is beyond me..

for the record, Klein is having a terrific camp in Milwaukee on both ends of the ice, and will make his AHL debut tomorrow night :)

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
nomorekids said:
1.Suter
2.Phaneuf
3.Whitney
4.Barker
5. Tyutin
6. Grebeshkov
7. Ballard
8. Smid
9. Mezarjos
10. Thelen
I agree with this list for the most part, but I would swap Suter and Phaneuf, just personal preferance i guess.

I especially like the inclusion of Ballard. I think most people assume he is just strictly offense. But he is actually very emotional and phyical, and is more than capable in his own end.

Here is a nice read on Ballard:
http://www.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=44

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Vlad The Impaler said:
Interesting list but I am surprised not to see Coburn anywhere. I like him better than your #1.

Ah, we're from the opposing schools of thought when it comes to Coburn, then. I'm not big on him, and think that if he were 6'2 instead of 6'5, he would have been lucky to go in the second round. Just my opinion, of course. Some people are high on him...others...notably Jay Mizral and myself...not so high.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
nomorekids said:
Ah, we're from the opposing schools of thought when it comes to Coburn, then. I'm not big on him, and think that if he were 6'2 instead of 6'5, he would have been lucky to go in the second round. Just my opinion, of course. Some people are high on him...others...notably Jay Mizral and myself...not so high.

Yeah, that's cool. Braydon does not play with enough passion for my tastes and I guess it rubs many the wrong way. He's not a very "likable" player right now, IMO. But the tools are there and for some reason I am still high on him.

Vic Rattlehead*

nomorekids said:
1.Suter
2.Phaneuf
3.Whitney
4.Barker
5. Tyutin
6. Grebeshkov
7. Ballard
8. Smid
9. Mezarjos
10. Thelen
What do you think of Mark Stuart?

mooseOAK*

I find it strange that Colaiacovo is ignored for the most part on these top ten lists, considering he had a pretty good AHL season last year as well as playing some NHL games where he didn't look all that out of place.

leafaholix*

mooseOAK said:
I find it strange that Colaiacovo is ignored for the most part on these top ten lists, considering he had a pretty good AHL season last year as well as playing some NHL games where he didn't look all that out of place.
The fact that he's already 21 years old and a Toronto Maple Leaf has a lot to do with it. Some people expect to see highly touted defensemen in the NHL at age 19 or 20, if not then there's automatically something wrong with their development.

And the Leaf thing... well, I guess you're familiar with it.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
Kimahri said:
I agree with this list for the most part, but I would swap Suter and Phaneuf, just personal preferance i guess.

I especially like the inclusion of Ballard. I think most people assume he is just strictly offense. But he is actually very emotional and phyical, and is more than capable in his own end.

Here is a nice read on Ballard:
http://www.gopherhole.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=44

I've liked Ballard for a while, and I think his time in the NHL is fast approaching.

As for the Suter\Phaneuf thing...like you say, preference. I think they're comparable in terms of skill, but each does something a little better than the other..and Phaneuf really zipped by Suter on these boards based on a high-profile WJC last year...while Suter's WJC was just as impressive...only less televised. I say this a lot, but I think it's an apt comparison...Phaneuf-Suter = Stevens\Blake. You'd love to have either, and they're both complete defensemen...but honestly, it's a matter of preference for which dominant d-man you want.

Jormungandr

Aug 14, 2002
Ohio
nomorekids said:
I've liked Ballard for a while, and I think his time in the NHL is fast approaching.

As for the Suter\Phaneuf thing...like you say, preference. I think they're comparable in terms of skill, but each does something a little better than the other..and Phaneuf really zipped by Suter on these boards based on a high-profile WJC last year...while Suter's WJC was just as impressive...only less televised. I say this a lot, but I think it's an apt comparison...Phaneuf-Suter = Stevens\Blake. You'd love to have either, and they're both complete defensemen...but honestly, it's a matter of preference for which dominant d-man you want.
You nailed it dead on as I agree with this.......actually i agree with a lot of your opinions. I don't necessarily think that Phaneuf is the better player, I've only seen a handful of games of each of theirs, but I just prefer his more physical brand of play. Still hard to pick who's "better" at this moment though as, again only IMO, I think Suter's positional game is a step above Phaneuf's.

mooseOAK*

Leafaholix said:
The fact that he's already 21 years old and a Toronto Maple Leaf has a lot to do with it. Some people expect to see highly touted defensemen in the NHL at age 19 or 20, if not then there's automatically something wrong with their development.

And the Leaf thing... well, I guess you're familiar with it.

I wasn't giving the "honest oversight" angle a lot of play, that's for sure.

rocketsfan

What About?!?!....

No one even mentioned Shea Weber really... This kids 6'4 215 lbs and ive never seen anyone hit like him.... he had a point per game in the playoffs last year for Kelowna and has 8 points in 6 games for kelowna so far this year.... Hes worthy of top ten(ish) in terms of an all around defenceman... check him out...

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
rocketsfan said:
No one even mentioned Shea Weber really... This kids 6'4 215 lbs and ive never seen anyone hit like him.... he had a point per game in the playoffs last year for Kelowna and has 8 points in 6 games for kelowna so far this year.... Hes worthy of top ten(ish) in terms of an all around defenceman... check him out...

come on over to the preds board...we can't get enough of him, over there. as for flying under the radar...that's what preds prospects do, around here ;)

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
nomorekids said:
come on over to the preds board...we can't get enough of him, over there. as for flying under the radar...that's what preds prospects do, around here ;)

I'm sorry...I remember Dan Hamhuis being one of the most hyped prospects on these boards in the last few years.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
PhoPhan said:
I'm sorry...I remember Dan Hamhuis being one of the most hyped prospects on these boards in the last few years.

well, i think a lot of that has to do with his team Canada performance...and I think that after this year's WJC...you're going to see the same of Shea Weber.

leafaholix*

From the games from Memorial Cup I saw last year, I fell in love with Shea Weber's style of hockey. Personally, I think he's going to play at a high level of professional hockey in his prime... the NHL? Possibly. But I wouldn't list him as a top 10 prospect, I think his offensive production is limited, though I think he'll be a tremendously good and rock solid defensive blue liner.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
i've watched a lot of shea weber, imo he isn't a top ten offensive dman prospect, but he WILL be an nhler one day, and a solid mean one at that

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad