Prospect Info: Top Shelf Prospects: Edmonton Oilers

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
http://lastwordonsports.com/top-shelf-prospects-edmonton-oilers-2/

A quick look at Edmonton Oilers Top Shelf Prospects:

For the purposes of this report, Schultz, Yakupov, Teemu Hartikainen, and Anton Lander are all considered “graduated†due to the number of NHL games they have played. While Schultz and Yakupov are just under the 50 game cutoff, that is merely due to it being a 48 game season, as they spent the entire year with the Oilers.

Before we get too far into the prospects though, we should take a minute to remember Kristian Pelss, the 20-year-old Oiler prospect who was tragically lost this summer.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I'm glad you had Gernat as your "Super Sleeper" pick. It always boggles my mind when I see some Oiler fans mentioning our D prospects and fail to mention him

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Good write up on Flefbom. suggest that eventually you will see Klefbom on the powerplay with Schultz being the set up man.

I could see it by years end. he Can unleash the KlefBOMB!!

Oilwings

Jan 23, 2006
604 Area
I'm glad you had Gernat as your "Super Sleeper" pick. It always boggles my mind when I see some Oiler fans mentioning our D prospects and fail to mention him

I see Gernat as an untouchable right now. The Oil's dmen prospect is so deep. Klef, Nurse, Marincin, Gernat, Davidson , and Fedun are off limits right now. We'll let them develop for 2 -3 more yrs by then hopefully we have our 2C and tenders ready.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Nurse, Klefbom, Marincin and Gernat are our biggest hopes for the future of this team, and the reasons why i don't want any of these 4 used as trade bait for Yandle or anyone else! i'm willing to wait 'till these kids have developed and see what we have. The Magnificent *astard Stu has taken a little flack these days because of some of the picks not developing well, like Pitlick and C. Hamilton, but he may have a hit the nail on the head with 2nd rounder Marincin and have a great 5th round! steal in Gernat. maybe it's our turn to find some later round steals for defencemen with these two and not just an OK d-man in Jeff Petry.

Oct 15, 2008
Just wondering if any of the Gernat praisers here actually watched Gernat play last year?

Because he definitely took a huge step backwards. He wasnt very good at all.

ManByng

It's Me OilTastic
Aug 4, 2009
St. Albert, Alberta
Just wondering if any of the Gernat praisers here actually watched Gernat play last year?

Because he definitely took a huge step backwards. He wasnt very good at all.

yes, not as often as you did though. i guess what i'm doing is *hoping* he'll turn out to be a steal, but yes, he did seem to regress last year and is still very much developing. i have no delusions that he will be playing for the Oilers anytime soon.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Wait people wouldn't include Gernat in a deal for Yandle? What? Gernat at his max potential isn't as good a player as Yandle, you don't hold onto prospects that closely.

There are two defence prospects that are untouchable: Oscar Klefbom and Darnell Nurse. That's it. Even Marincin can be had if we include him in a package for a big 2-way 2nd line center or top pairing dman.

Oct 15, 2008
I would move Klefbom or Nurse if the right deal was available. Would anyone move either player for Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier?

How about moving both for Shea Weber?

Or Drew Doughty?

The Perfect Human*

If you told me right now that the Oilers could get Yandle and Gormley for Klefa, Nurse, and a 1st - I'd be all over it.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
I would move Klefbom or Nurse if the right deal was available. Would anyone move either player for Brayden Schenn or Sean Couturier?

Or Drew Doughty?

I wouldn't do it for Couturier, but yes for Schenn. Shea Weber and Drew Doughty are simply not available.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal

Or Drew Doughty?

Yes to all.

Adding Weber would make us a 2C+Goalie away from being a Cup contender.

Turrican*

Couturier is garbage. Still living off of his draft hype and "shutting down" #71 lol

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009

Or Drew Doughty?

No to Couturier
Yes to Schenn
Hell yes to Weber
Hell yes to Doughty

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Couturier is garbage. Still living off of his draft hype and "shutting down" #71 lol

He's not "garbage", but he's definitely not half the player he's hyped up to be.

I must say, I'm extremely impressed by your scouting reports. Rarely do I see ones that accurate

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Good choice with Gerny on the Super Sleeper, he is a good Defenceman. We have a better Defensive crop of Prospects then people think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad