Top Potential UFA NCAA Prospects this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
I am hoping 10 to 15 drafted kids go UFA and the league finally looks at this loophole. It was intended for undrafted players not drafted ones.

It was intended to keep the draft legal and not violate employment law and anti-trust law. And it needs to be kept in order to continue to keep a draft in the first place.

Just cause you draft a guy you can't keep his rights forever.

And keep in mind the 4 year rule doesn't just apply to college kids.

For CHL kids, after 2 years, you re-enter the draft (if not drafted UFA, if drafted a second time, wait two more years and UFA)
For European leagues who signed the transfer agreement 4 years to UFA

Basically if you choose to not be paid for 4 years, the team loses your rights.

TMHUNH

Feb 27, 2003
NH
Visit site
I am hoping 10 to 15 drafted kids go UFA and the league finally looks at this loophole. It was intended for undrafted players not drafted ones.

Haha, wait, what??

A rule related to how long a drafted player stays property of the team that drafted him, was created for "undrafted" players??

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

First of all, not a loophole, it was made that way on purpose, and secondly, WHAT??!

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Sakic said the other day that when Butcher's season is over they will be offering him a contract.

Of course it's up to him to sign where he wants since he becomes a UFA August 15th. He's from Wisconsin, but did go to school in the Denver area and just won the Hobey Baker Trophy.

Didn't Sakic say he wasn't going to sign him early in the year?

Then he has a ridiculous season and now they want him. I wouldn't blame him for walking.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Didn't Sakic say he wasn't going to sign him early in the year?

Then he has a ridiculous season and now they want him. I wouldn't blame him for walking.

By chambers because he needed some fuel for his whole "the avs hate NCAA hockey" spiel...right before the avs spent three picks on NCAA bound prospects with Jost, Morrison & Clurman.

What seems most likely is that the avs told Butcher they wanted him to go back for his senior and weren't going to offer him a contract last summer; and Chambers just added random speculation...as he often does...to keep his routine going.

I'd like to see Butcher signed; although I don't see an NHLer there, his puck moving skills would be of much use for the Rampage. Could see him being an awesome partner for Meloche until 'loche is ready to make the jump to the NHL.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Will Butcher isn't signing with Colorado

confirmed

Holy clickbait article from the Denver Post. And it never explicitly says that. :laugh:

Here is the relevant text from the article that I'm assuming this post is citing.

Avalanche draft pick Will Butcher, the University of Denver senior defenseman, team captain and 2017 Hobey Baker Award winner as national player of the year, is not interested in signing an entry-level contract with the Avalanche. Not now, perhaps never.

Butcher, who is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent Aug. 15 if he chooses to not sign with the Avs, said he met with Colorado general manager Joe Sakic on Tuesday and told him him he’s not signing anytime soon.

“I told him I didn’t want an offer yet,” Butcher told The Denver Post. “I wanted to sit with him, talk with him about my year, what they’re thinking, what their philosophy is going to be. My parents are coming in this weekend for the banquet, and I want to talk to my parents before they offer me anything.”

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Colorado was historically bad.

Butcher isn't signing on to start his career in that environment.

Butcher is starting his career in the AHL anyway, so how does the avs historic ineptitude factor in? And the rampage would've been a lot less impotent with more puck movers like Butcher and Meloche; especially with Boikov having a year of pro experience under his belt.

Last edited:

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Jimmy Schuldt off to a fantastic start for SCSU. 7 points 4 goals in 3 games. Not expecting him back next year.

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
Daniel Brickley is going to be this year's top free agent. He's got 1-3-4 in three games played so far this season, including knocking off the #2 ranked Boston U twice last weekend (6-3 and 3-0)
Apparently 30 NHL teams were trying to offer him a contract last season but he decided to come back for his junior year.
He also has a shot at making the US Olympic team this year and showed well at the World Championship last spring.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
Anyone who follows NCAA hockey can you comment on Zach Whitecloud, defenceman for Bemidji State? They had a nice weekend going 1-0-1 vs Minnesota Duluth and he seems to be a team leader. 2 assists and ice time in all situations.

He's the nephew of a friend of mine so it would be cool to see him get a shot.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
Daniel Brickley is going to be this year's top free agent. He's got 1-3-4 in three games played so far this season, including knocking off the #2 ranked Boston U twice last weekend (6-3 and 3-0)
Apparently 30 NHL teams were trying to offer him a contract last season but he decided to come back for his junior year.
He also has a shot at making the US Olympic team this year and showed well at the World Championship last spring.

I like brickley but i just don't see it. Maybe it's just the games ive seen but he's never jumped out to me. IMO Schuldt is the better prospect...the only difference measurable wise is Brickley is one inch taller.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What about Jordan Gross? Pretty good numbers over the last 3 years for a defenseman.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Aug 12, 2002
What about Colt Conrad? 20 year old leading Western Michigan in scoring, has more points than Philly 2nd Rounder Wade Allison (doesn't have Allison's size of course) on the same team. They're the same age as well. 9pts in 5 games (first in NCAA right now).

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
As someone who watches a lot of NCAA hockey I can confidently say Kiefer Sherwood and Mason Jobst are two of the top NCAA free agent forwards coming into this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
If Dylan Sikura does not sign with the Hawks... he'll be highly coveted

The Hawks signed Tyler Sikura's brother to play in the AHL (Rockford) which I think should solidify that he'll sign with them after the season. Sikura has always said that he wants to be in the Hawks' organization so I don't think this is another Kevin Hayes situation. Who knows? If he continues to lead NCAA in scoring, he may reconsider.

Rogie21

Sep 10, 2005
Bobo, who scored five goals in two games this weekend (2 shorties Friday, 3 PPGs Saturday) attended both Penguins and Devils development camps last summer. Saw a few particularly good reports from Devils camp. His father won two Cups with the Devils, one as a player and one as a coach.
He's centering BU's top line so should have good numbers this season. Not super-skilled, but a smart 200 foot player who can finish.
You can see his Friday goals here:
http://terrierhockey.blogspot.com/2017/10/terriers-and-huskies-tie-carpenter.html

Mickey the mouse

Jun 30, 2013
As someone who watches a lot of NCAA hockey I can confidently say Kiefer Sherwood and Mason Jobst are two of the top NCAA free agent forwards this year.
Have you watched Sherwood this season ?
He is not anywhere near the top pf the FA forwards.
Already demoted to 2nd PP unit because of his lack of IQ. D-man Hutton has taken his place and has 7 pnts in 4 games with 5 PP goals

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Have you watched Sherwood this season ?
He is not anywhere near the top pf the FA forwards.
Already demoted to 2nd PP unit because of his lack of IQ. D-man Hutton has taken his place and has 7 pnts in 4 games with 5 PP goals

HAHAHAH
4 Games in. And who cares about Hutton I never said, top NCAA free agent defenseman I said "FORWARD". And the The hockey news agrees with that they Sherwood is a top free agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->