Top Potential UFA NCAA Prospects this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
I haven't seen him play but falling in love with a skillset too much is what how NYR wasted a boatload of money on Matt Gilroy. No college UFA is worth 2 or 3 million in my opinion.
You can't really waste a bunch of money on most of them.
The entry-level system did not apply to Gilroy because he was too old, so it became a bidding war.

If you're referring to Dekeyser, he'll be 22 if he signs this year.
That means that he's eligible for a two year contract with a maximum salary of $925,000.
Because it would be an entry-level contract, Exhibit 5 performance bonuses could also be written in.

Most NCAA free agents are young enough that the entry-level system applies to them, so teams are not able to pay them a bunch of money.

CoolburnIsGone

What is the deal on drafted players if they are graduating. Can they still become free agents by going unsigned??
Drafted players who are graduating seniors have to be signed by August 15th or yes they can become free agents. Several guys each summer go unsigned like that so its not uncommon. Its rare though that those guys are then signed as free agents to anything more than AHL deals.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I so want the Sabres to pick up Connolly after the season, and not just because I'm a Terriers fan. He just screams "Lindy Ruff" type player.

He'd probably have had a better chance under previous ownership, saving on lettering and all that.

RipCityPuckers

Jun 16, 2007
Toronto
Bump....

Any update on some of these guys?

Other than Dekeyser, which players do you think are a sure bet to receive multiple offers from NHL teams?

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
i'd bet that a certain Swede on Northeastern gets some interest. big frame, great shot as well a solid all-around player

Amateur Hour

Jul 23, 2006
Negadelphia
Looking for scouting reports on the following players...

Tyler Gron (NMU)
Andrej Sustr (UNO) -- any defenseman who's 6'8" will pique my interest
Brendan Ellis (Merrimack)
Matt Tennyson (WMU)

I remember Kieran Millan (BU) from the Terriers' national championship team. Still can't believe he was a freshman then, at goalie no less. Nice to see he's still putting up strong numbers. I take it Millan is going to be sent to the Avalanche's AHL affiliate after the BU season is over?

Amateur Hour

Jul 23, 2006
Negadelphia
UMD's J.T. Brown is another player who has caught my eye. I know he's the son of a former NFL player... any opinions about him from UMD fans would be greatly appreciated.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Rawlings is definitely the goalie to keep your eye on this year. Not sure he's quite as good as Thiessen was for Northeastern but he's close. Will not be surprised in the least if he's in the league within two years depending on where he signs.

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Looking for scouting reports on the following players...

Tyler Gron (NMU)
Andrej Sustr (UNO) -- any defenseman who's 6'8" will pique my interest
Brendan Ellis (Merrimack)
Matt Tennyson (WMU)

I remember Kieran Millan (BU) from the Terriers' national championship team. Still can't believe he was a freshman then, at goalie no less. Nice to see he's still putting up strong numbers. I take it Millan is going to be sent to the Avalanche's AHL affiliate after the BU season is over?

What would you like to know about them? Yes, I have seen all of them play.

On your question about J.T. Brown:

Has some good wheels and speed. Plays with a lot of grit and is very good around the net. Definitely can finish too. The knock on him is that he tends to take bad/untimely penalties.

Amateur Hour

Jul 23, 2006
Negadelphia
What would you like to know about them? Yes, I have seen all of them play.

On your question about J.T. Brown:

Has some good wheels and speed. Plays with a lot of grit and is very good around the net. Definitely can finish too. The knock on him is that he tends to take bad/untimely penalties.

Just want to know about their pro prospects and what the rumblings are among NHL scouts. A couple sentences detailing each player's game, much like you did with J.T. Brown, would be great. Thanks in advance for whatever insight you can provide.

The Flyers' recent success in signing college free agents (Gustafsson, Read, Zolnierczyk) has gotten me looking around a lot more for possible targets/sleepers playing at that level, and I'm trying to pick the brains of those who have seen them in action the most.

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
i'd bet that a certain Swede on Northeastern gets some interest. big frame, great shot as well a solid all-around player

Ludwig Karlsson may be Northeastern's best forward this year. The guy can flat out dominate some shifts. If he was a better skater he would be an easy UFA choice, but he's getting better. Hockey East has a lot of speedy forwards (See: B.C.) and Ludwig has been conditioning to catch up to them and play edges better.

Rawlings is definitely the goalie to keep your eye on this year. Not sure he's quite as good as Thiessen was for Northeastern but he's close. Will not be surprised in the least if he's in the league within two years depending on where he signs.

I do think Rawlings will get some consideration as well. He's still pretty raw, makes the occasional great save, and has improved on what was a sub-par angle game. Being 6'5" will mainly be what draws teams to him. If his team can play better in front of him, we could be seeing Rawlings at his best, which is pretty damn good.

Hockey East is pretty stacked at goaltender this season. Beaudry from Providence will draw attention, but I think the bread winner could even be Doug Carr from UMass Lowell. He's a cerebral goalie with outstanding mechanics and reaction time. He always seems to be in the right place at the right time and can really flash the leather.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I am looking for an update on Sustr. I believe the Rangers invited him to either their camp or their traverse city where he looked decent for a guy his size.

afrobomber11

May 23, 2010
Flin Flon Manitoba
Just want to know about their pro prospects and what the rumblings are among NHL scouts. A couple sentences detailing each player's game, much like you did with J.T. Brown, would be great. Thanks in advance for whatever insight you can provide.

The Flyers' recent success in signing college free agents (Gustafsson, Read, Zolnierczyk) has gotten me looking around a lot more for possible targets/sleepers playing at that level, and I'm trying to pick the brains of those who have seen them in action the most.

flyers have had michael young at camp and are very high on him, definatly forming a trend there (pronger replacement..... i think so!!!)

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
Sustr would be a nice addition to the Habs prospect pool. A guy who is 6¨8 would be nice to have....

vincetheprince

Mar 28, 2007
Can anyone fill me in on Zengerle's pro potential? He seems to be racking up the points this year and had a very respectful freshman season as well.

Amateur Hour

Jul 23, 2006
Negadelphia
flyers have had michael young at camp and are very high on him, definatly forming a trend there (pronger replacement..... i think so!!!)

Ah, the good ol' Flin Flon connection, never hurts. And it's worked for us before, if I remember correctly.

Thanks for the info, look forward to catching a UNO game and seeing Young in action. What kind of player is he?

odhaguy

Aug 6, 2007
NCAA goalies - last year Nagle (Tampa Bay/Ferris State) and Kinkaid (New Jersey/Union) were the only free agent signings by NHL teams. Nagle was a senior and Kinkaid a sophomore.

Here are senior free agents graduating this year (who have played at least 33% of time this year), not sure about NHL interest for them:

Greenham (Alaska)
Nelson (Ferris State)
Strang (Mercyhurst)
Oostergard (Robert Morris)
Madolora (RIT)
Beaudry (Providence)
Heeter (Ohio State)
Hunwick (Michigan)
Bakala (Bemidji)
Reiter (UMD)
Mello (Dartmouth)
Madore (Vermont)
Morrison (Canisius)
Faulkner (UNO)
Di Girolomo (UNH)
Reichard (Miami)
Lee (Minnesota State)
Caple (Air Force)
Ellingson (Northern Michigan)
Clemente (Brown)
Noonan (Niagara)
Palmisano (Michigan State)
Robinson (Michigan Tech)

Seniors already drafted:

Cannata (Vancouver/Merrimack)
Patterson (Colorado/Minnesota)
Millan (Colorado/Boston University)
Karpowich (St. Louis/Clarkson)
Knapp (Buffalo/Miami)
Eidsness (Buffalo/North Dakota)

Would imagine there are a fair number of goalies with eligibility left receiveing interest - Grosenick (Union), Coreau (Northern Michigan), Kapalka (Lake Superior), Rawlings (Northeastern) to name a few.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->