Top Enforcers of the past 20 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
Who would make the "Tough Guy" Hall of Fame?

Not thinking of offensive abilities, or anything else. Strictly who were the toughest, meanest, feistiest players of the past 20 years? Some justification would be nice.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
GregStack said:
Who would make the "Tough Guy" Hall of Fame?

Not thinking of offensive abilities, or anything else. Strictly who were the toughest, meanest, feistiest players of the past 20 years? Some justification would be nice.

Good Topic

1. Bob Probert-In my mind the toughest player ever to lace em up. Was the complete package. He also covers the mean part of the equasion he would do anything to win a scrap.

2. Dave Brown-The best leftie since I have been following the game close. Also one mean SOB, He would hit you when you were down, give you the lumber and also legitimatly kick ass.

3.Joe Kocur-The Hardest puncher that I ever saw. Just ask Brad Dalgarno, Jim Playfair or any of his many victims. Also he paid the price for it his hands were horribly beat up but he didnt use that as an excuse not to do his job and he gets kudos for that.

4. Craig Berube-Probably the fastest puncher that I saw " The Chief" threw em fast and hard and was one of the few guys to give a Prime Probie fits.

5. Tie Domi- His biggest weapons was his unusually hard head but he has big time fighting ability a card that is second to none.

6. Rob Ray-I know a lot of people think that he only was effective because of his Jersey trick. I used to be one of them. But if you watch footage of him after the Rob Ray rule was put in he had as many victories or more as before and during the time that he played he had almost as many if not as many KO"s andd TKO's as Tony Twist.

7.Tony Twist-The second best Pure puncher next to Kocur that I Saw. (I Know that sounds wierd after saying that Ray had aas many KO's and TKO's as Twister but Ray had a lot more scraps.) Twisters Broke a lot of peop;es faces including Rob Ray and Mark Jannsens and had Numerous KO's including Peluso and Shawn Antoski.

8. Marty McSorley-Awesome Stamina and a great card.

9. John Kordic-" Rambo was a awesome fighter with an incredibly quick left hand, his wars with Jay Miller and Basil McRae were legendary and in Bettmans NHL seem to sadly be a dying breed.

10. Stu Grimson-The Grim Reaper was feared for good reason this was a huge man with lots and lots of ability who got better and better as his career went on. He KO"d Reid Simpson in a brutal KO in a game I Attended.

11. Jay Miller-See John Kordic alhough he seemed more willing and able to use the right hand.

12.Jeff Odgers-Showed up every night and battled for whateer theam he played far and the league needs more players like him.

13. Jim Cummins-Much like Odgers a true warrior.

14. Shane Churla-Fast puncher who battled every night.

15. Darin Kimble-See Churla. In fact the two had the best fight I have seen live during the 90-91 playoffs.

16. Jim McKenzie-A great fighter who is still playing and is often overlooked because he has changed teams a lot but he has supreme skills and gave Twist fits when they fought.

17. Kelly Chase-not a big man but a true warrior and the smartest fighter that I saw

I have only been following the fights closely since 90-91 and left of a lot of the older greats like Gillies, Fotiu, Behn Wilson, Nystrom because I have seen very little of them and I didnt use any curreent kids because I ned to see a lot more of most of them.

The list isnt meant to be in order I was just using anames and adding reasons why they would be in a tough guys HOF.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
c-carp has a good list.

I'd also add Behn Wilson. He was a good defenseman, but he could really throw'em. IMO the best fighter the Flyers have ever had (and that's saying something :D ) . Wilson had great one-punch power, just a devastating left hand.

Some others, more short term guys: Darryl Stanley and Glen Cochrane.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Tiger Williams, Dave Semenko, Tie Domi and Bob Probert would by my top 4 nominations into this fictional Tough Guy Hall of fame.

Salgari

Apr 29, 2004
www.myspace.com
c-carp said:
Good Topic

1. Bob Probert-In my mind the toughest player ever to lace em up. Was the complete package. He also covers the mean part of the equasion he would do anything to win a scrap.

2. Dave Brown-The best leftie since I have been following the game close. Also one mean SOB, He would hit you when you were down, give you the lumber and also legitimatly kick ass.

3.Joe Kocur-The Hardest puncher that I ever saw. Just ask Brad Dalgarno, Jim Playfair or any of his many victims. Also he paid the price for it his hands were horribly beat up but he didnt use that as an excuse not to do his job and he gets kudos for that.

4. Craig Berube-Probably the fastest puncher that I saw " The Chief" threw em fast and hard and was one of the few guys to give a Prime Probie fits.

5. Tie Domi- His biggest weapons was his unusually hard head but he has big time fighting ability a card that is second to none.

6. Rob Ray-I know a lot of people think that he only was effective because of his Jersey trick. I used to be one of them. But if you watch footage of him after the Rob Ray rule was put in he had as many victories or more as before and during the time that he played he had almost as many if not as many KO"s andd TKO's as Tony Twist.

7.Tony Twist-The second best Pure puncher next to Kocur that I Saw. (I Know that sounds wierd after saying that Ray had aas many KO's and TKO's as Twister but Ray had a lot more scraps.) Twisters Broke a lot of peop;es faces including Rob Ray and Mark Jannsens and had Numerous KO's including Peluso and Shawn Antoski.

9. John Kordic-" Rambo was a awesome fighter with an incredibly quick left hand, his wars with Jay Miller and Basil McRae were legendary and in Bettmans NHL seem to sadly be a dying breed.

10. Stu Grimson-The Grim Reaper was feared for good reason this was a huge man with lots and lots of ability who got better and better as his career went on. He KO"d Reid Simpson in a brutal KO in a game I Attended.

11. Jay Miller-See John Kordic alhough he seemed more willing and able to use the right hand.

12.Jeff Odgers-Showed up every night and battled for whateer theam he played far and the league needs more players like him.

15. Darin Kimble-See Churla. In fact the two had the best fight I have seen live during the 90-91 playoffs.

16. Jim McKenzie-A great fighter who is still playing and is often overlooked because he has changed teams a lot but he has supreme skills and gave Twist fits when they fought.

17. Kelly Chase-not a big man but a true warrior and the smartest fighter that I saw

I have only been following the fights closely since 90-91 and left of a lot of the older greats like Gillies, Fotiu, Behn Wilson, Nystrom because I have seen very little of them and I didnt use any curreent kids because I ned to see a lot more of most of them.

The list isnt meant to be in order I was just using anames and adding reasons why they would be in a tough guys HOF.

Every once in a while there will come someone who will post something so overwhelming and detailed, it will frighten the rest of the posters away.
:bow:

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
c-carp said:
Good Topic

Beautifil list, that's above and beyond anything I ever expected anyone to put up.

John Ferguson. One of thoughest players to ever wear the bleu, blanc et rouge and the biggest reason why bigger teams weren't allowed to manhandle the smaller stars of the Montreal Canadiens during the 60s. From the moment he suited up for the Montreal Canadiens Ferguson vowed to be "the meanest, rottenest, most miserable cuss ever to play in the NHL."

For his career: 500 games, 145 goals, 303 points and 1214 penalty minutes.

04' hockey

Jul 1, 2003
City of Brotherly Lo
Visit site
1A. Probert - sheer # of fights, longevity, didn't agree with the untied shirt thing, big addy.

1B Wilson - no known losses, could throw with ANYBODY, when he felt like it, not a true team enforcer.

2 Gillies - Jethro is the essence of the true power forward.

3 Brown - the epitome of a true team enforcer, never refused the dance.

4 Howe/Ferguson - would have been forces in ANY era.

5 Johnathon, Domi, Fraser, Nilan, Holt, Brigdman, Nystrom, Howatt - who says sze matters?

6 Fotiu, McSorley, Twist, etc., on ant given day could beat anybody.

7 out of time....... :dunno:

Hobey Baker

May 27, 2004
Charlestown
sabresprospects.com
Larry Playfair (used to have trouble finding people to dance with)
Joey Kocur (used to tape his fingers before every game)
Dave Brown (dirty, dirty, dirty..."likes to fight" guy)
Jeff Chychrun (helped restore Flyers B.S.B. days in the mid-80's)
Bob Probert (obvious reasons...just one sick dude)
Alan May (wanted to "go" every night)
Dave Schultz (The Hammer)
Tony Twist (one punch'll shatter your orbital bone)
Brad May (ask Ken Baumgartner and Terry Carkner)
Kevin Maguire (now a linesman; had one hell of a rivalry with Probert in the 80's)
Troy Malette (he was pretty decent)
Rob Ray (homer pick, but good at the job- won more often than not)

these are a few that come to mind off the top of my head....

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
c-carp said:
Definatly the NO1 guy in my opinion, Who else would you put on a list.

Probert was obviously a far better player, but I don't recall dave Brown ever losing a fight as a member of the Flyers, I didn't see him play too many of his games in Edmonton.

russ4king

Sep 10, 2002
Welland
Visit site
c-carp said:
Good Topic

QUOTE]

This is a fantastic list though I would question some of the guys at the bottom, and I don't think I would put Berube in the top 5 let alone top 10. Two guys that I think should be mentioned and aren't are Wendel Clark and Link Gaetz. Clark especially was a tough SOB. Though in his early days he was oft injured when he did drop the gloves he put on a heck of a show. Gaetz was a little more crazy than good. But the man could throw them. I would definately put Clark in the top 10 ahead of Ray, McSorley, and Grimson..all of whom have received a Clark knuckle-sandwich in their day.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
russ4king said:
c-carp said:
Good Topic

QUOTE]

This is a fantastic list though I would question some of the guys at the bottom, and I don't think I would put Berube in the top 5 let alone top 10. Two guys that I think should be mentioned and aren't are Wendel Clark and Link Gaetz. Clark especially was a tough SOB. Though in his early days he was oft injured when he did drop the gloves he put on a heck of a show. Gaetz was a little more crazy than good. But the man could throw them. I would definately put Clark in the top 10 ahead of Ray, McSorley, and Grimson..all of whom have received a Clark knuckle-sandwich in their day.

I am a big Wendel Clark fan and he was a glaring omission that should have made the list. I also could have put Rick Tocchet on. A far as Gaetz goes he definatly could have been a heavyweight contender if he wasnt a screwball. The fight he had with Probert in the Cow Palace when he played with San Jose was an alltime classic. He also had two great bouts with Kocur when he played with the North Stars and Dropped Randy McKay in the only battle that I think they had. Maybe I will start a thread on tough guys who were also good players. Wendel would be a good start.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I also agree Wendel Clark should be on the list somewhere. I personally don't recall Wendel ever losing too many fights and he took on all big boys (Probert, McSorley, etc.).

He was a good hockey player too, better than many of the goons already mentioned. Great shot.

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
Machoking2003-04 said:
Two words...........

Troy Crowder
Awesome for a brief period, but for me he just didnt maintain it long enough. When he left the devils and went to Detriot you didnt hear much from him. I know that he had back problems. I put him much like Gaetz but for different reasons great while they were here but not here long enough. Even though Troy was around longer then Gaetz.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
Well, homer pick since is hands down my fav enforcer ever but Gino Odjick deserve a mention: in the first years in the league when he wasn't injured he was a questionable top 5 if not top 3 in a VERY tough league.

Charge_Seven

Aug 12, 2003
PepNCheese said:
I also agree Wendel Clark should be on the list somewhere. I personally don't recall Wendel ever losing too many fights and he took on all big boys (Probert, McSorley, etc.).

He was a good hockey player too, better than many of the goons already mentioned. Great shot.

Clark could probably go with the best of them, however his talent ruins him as an enforcer :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad