Top enforcer prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLACKBURN

Feb 17, 2003
London
Visit site
I am not at all knowledgable when it comes to junior hockey, especially scrappers.

I was wondering if anyone could give me the top enforcer prospects in the WHL, OHL and QMJHL, then a top ten list including all of them. Thanks in advance.....

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Brian Sutherby bloodied Adam Foote a year ago, and I believe he was 19.

I was under the impression that most "enforcers" make their way into the NHL via some other talent/potential, and fall back on their fists, so to speak.

Ruckus007

where to?
May 27, 2003
Huntington, WV
Sean McMorrow is a pretty devistating fighter, he's playing in the AHL right now. If you consider Wade Brookbank a prospect then you can include him too.

AJ1982

Feb 27, 2002
New York
Visit site
go pierre hedin said:
Matt Nickerson (Dallas Stars).

Lol Nickerson is a penalty machine at Clarkson. He is absolutely a monster out there on the ice. Sometimes I wonder why he didn't choose the major junior route, he often gets penalties simply because he hits someone too hard (I swear college refs don't know what hockey is).

Hammerwise

Jun 13, 2002
Visit site
Ben Eager could be one, drafted by PHX, recently acquired by PHI.

He has shown just enough offense to be more than a fighter though, but with his size and temperment he'll probably be a Brashear type. Above average skills for a goon.

I don't know where he went, but there used to be a prospect named Thierry Douville who put up some sick PIMs, I think he is (he was) a prospect in Philly a year or two ago.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Zach Stortini of the Sudbury Wolves is a really tough customer and he has enough skills to perhaps stick in the NHL. Of course compared to a guy like Sean McMorrow, Stortini looks like Wayne Gretzky.

He's an Oilers draft pick.

BTW Eager is a decent fighter, but isn't known for playing with any class, his nickname around the O is "turtle"...... for obvious reasons. And in a past year he had an incident where he attacked a player with his stick.

Sandman13

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
I have heard lots about Jonathan Tremblay from the Q, who I believe is a San Jose prospect. Cam Janssen and Stortini would be the top 2 from the OHL. Jake Gilmour would have been tops in the OHL but suffered an off-season back injury and only got to play 4 games before doctors told him not to shut it down for the year.

jaybone87

Feb 1, 2003
Boomtown
Visit site
Eager is a decent fighter but can sucker guys into taking penalties but yes he does turtle. I like Stortini just because he can provide offense and is a well respected fighter. In the upcoming draft I think Adam Berti is a good grit and scoring player he absolutely wrecked Hendrix(sp) on the Petes.

plaugher

May 2, 2002
Halifax, NS
Visit site
The big ones in the Q' right now are...

Jonathan Tremblay (SJ) with Bathurst: monster of a fighter (by most accounts, has not lost outright in a long, long time), but... well, a minimal skill set is too much of a complement, unfortunately.

George Davis (ANA) with Halifax: sent down from the ECHL to work on his skills. Lots of work to do. One of the better enforcers, plays a physical game, but poor skating and not very good offensive instincts.

Jimmy Bonneau (PEI) with Montreal: good fighting skills, and getting a regular shift with a pretty good Rocket team. Will challenge for king of the Q' when Tremblay probably doesn't return next year.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Not technically a prospect any more, but I think Peat will be the one of the best in the league. Underrated puck skills too.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Phil said:
The big ones in the Q' right now are...

Jonathan Tremblay (SJ) with Bathurst: monster of a fighter (by most accounts, has not lost outright in a long, long time), but... well, a minimal skill set is too much of a complement, unfortunately.

George Davis (ANA) with Halifax: sent down from the ECHL to work on his skills. Lots of work to do. One of the better enforcers, plays a physical game, but poor skating and not very good offensive instincts.

Jimmy Bonneau (PEI) with Montreal: good fighting skills, and getting a regular shift with a pretty good Rocket team. Will challenge for king of the Q' when Tremblay probably doesn't return next year.
where does Bellemare rank?

plaugher

May 2, 2002
Halifax, NS
Visit site
looooob said:
where does Bellemare rank?

Probably would be in the top five in the league. Another monster of a player, with Tremblay's skill set.

Can't say if his fighting skills have increased, as they only came to town once this year, and he saw one shift, no fight.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
Enforcers at the NHL level are usually guys who still put up pretty decent numbers in the their junior league.

Some examples...

Jody Shelley - had 25 goals in 59 games in his last QMJHL season with Halifax.

Peter Worrell - had 63 points in 62 games, his last QMJHL season with Hull.

Donald Brashear - had 38 goals his second season in the AHL with Fredriction!

Scott Parker - had 30 goals in 71 games his last season in the WHL with Kelowna.

So essentially for the most part, the top enforcers in the NHL today at least have enough skills to keep themselves in the NHL. So your top enforcers in the CHL who just don't score very much, aren't very likely to be anything close to NHL'ers.

I think one guy no one has mentioned yet that definitely deserves mention is Brian Mcgrattan of the Binghampton Senators.

OHLTG_ROB

enforcer prospects

PanthersRule said:
Grant McNeil.

People say he's so good at fighting that you'd have to be insane to fight him.

Yeah that McNeil he's a beauty all right - except for his jaw - which was recently broke by JOSH GRATTON, a former Windsor Spitfire (OHL) called up from San Diego (ECHL) to enforce in Cincy (AHL).

Top 5 OHL 03/04 * with NHL potential

Cam Janssen - NJ
Zach Stortini - EDM
Adam Smyth - free agent tryout with BOS
Bill Kinkel - NJ
Bryan Hamm - DAL

RoyceBrown

Sep 26, 2003
metro Detroit
Visit site
Gine Pissilini - Plymouth Whalers. He's a penalty machine who knows how to handle himself in a fight.......and brings at least a semblance of offensive ability to the table also. His skating is far from NHL level, but not a lot of enforcers are the most nimble.

Also, Soo St Marie Defenseman David Jarram, although only 16 years old, is already 6'3" 205 and can certainly throw his weight around. He could fit nicely as an NHL enforcer should his game not develop skill wise. He is diffinetly a name to remember in the OHL, and he has a loud mouth also.

Last edited:

paxtang

May 1, 2003
Harrisburg
Brock said:
Enforcers at the NHL level are usually guys who still put up pretty decent numbers in the their junior league.

Some examples...

Jody Shelley - had 25 goals in 59 games in his last QMJHL season with Halifax.

Peter Worrell - had 63 points in 62 games, his last QMJHL season with Hull.

Donald Brashear - had 38 goals his second season in the AHL with Fredriction!

Scott Parker - had 30 goals in 71 games his last season in the WHL with Kelowna.

So essentially for the most part, the top enforcers in the NHL today at least have enough skills to keep themselves in the NHL. So your top enforcers in the CHL who just don't score very much, aren't very likely to be anything close to NHL'ers.

I think one guy no one has mentioned yet that definitely deserves mention is Brian Mcgrattan of the Binghampton Senators.

That's not always true, for every Donald Brashear there's a guy like Todd Fedoruk who puts up almost no numbers in juniors. Guys like Todd will have to put in some time in the E or A, but eventually work their way up, they generally take longer than guys who come in with some points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad