Top Defensive Forward Prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Defensive forward prospects for Montreal.

Maxim Lapierre
Chris Higgins
Kyle Chipchura - probably our future captain.
Jonathan Ferland - this guy is flying under the radar, yet he's very solid defensively and has good wheels too.

Roger's Pancreas*

Mike Richards

AHL
Tied for first in short handed goals during Calder Cup playoffs. [he missed the entire first series]
Finished second in plus/minus during Calder Cup playoffs.
OHL
Voted best penalty-killer by OHL coach's poll.
Led OHL in short-handed goals two years in a row.
Led OHL in short-handed goals during last year's Memorial Cup playoffs.

He's carrying his success over straight into this year and is currently tied for second on the team in plus/minus with a +1.

MM425

Aug 14, 2005
Kyle Chipchura. Baby

Does the little things really, really, well. A future captian to boot.

Mike Richards aswell. The next Douggie Gilmour, he is.

McOylerz

Feb 28, 2002
London, Ontario
nesbit_21 said:
Surprised no one mentioned Jarett Stoll. He's a beauty.
OK, I'll mention him. This guy's never gonna lead the league in points but he will quite likely lead a team as captain... hopefully to a Stanley Cup. As far as Selke potential... who knows, he is definitely solid in his own end.

Roger's Pancreas*

Mackattack said:
Kyle Chipchura. Baby

Does the little things really, really, well. A future captian to boot.

Mike Richards aswell. The next Douggie Gilmour, he is.

His edge is too sharp for Gilmour.

luv_canadian_hockey

Jul 1, 2005
Mississauga
Mike Richards
Panasonic Youth said:
AHL
Tied for first in short handed goals during Calder Cup playoffs. [he missed the entire first series]
Finished second in plus/minus during Calder Cup playoffs.
OHL
Voted best penalty-killer by OHL coach's poll.
Led OHL in short-handed goals two years in a row.
Led OHL in short-handed goals during last year's Memorial Cup playoffs.

He's carrying his success over straight into this year and is currently tied for second on the team in plus/minus with a +1.

:clap:

Attica

Feb 21, 2004
The Office
I think some people mistook the title for "name your teams best..."

Marcel Goc, Ryan Kesler and Ryan O'marra are the standouts. The best of the three could be Ryan Kesler, Marcel Goc looks excellent, but Ryan Kesler is expected to play on Vancouver's top defensive line with Cooke and Linden, I believe, he seems to have the whole package.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Attica said:
Marcel Goc, Ryan Kesler and Ryan O'marra are the standouts.

I really can't see what O'Marra has done to be considered among the top three defensive forward prospects. He does have decent potential to become a solid two-way forward in NYI, but guys like Nokelainen, Richards, Chipchura and Kesler are waaaaaay above O'Marra in the defensive aspect IMO. From the little I've seen for Ryan O'Marra in Erie and at the U-18, he wasn't really a stand-out in his own zone. :dunno:

PigPen

Jun 25, 2003
Detroit
Visit site
faucon said:
Ryan Oulahen

Finally nice to see him get some recognition outside of wings circles...

2004-05 OHL Eastern Conf. coaches poll (most underrated, hardest worker, best penalty killer)
2004-05 OHL Eastern Conf. coaches poll (second-best defensive forward, third-best on faceoffs)

This kid has great wheels and although he doesn't play mean he's not afraid to get his nose dirty. I've said it before and I'll say it again but this kid reminds me of Stephan Yelle with a much better shot. The only reason he hasn't put up point-per-game numbers in junior is because he was always counted on to shut down the other team's top forward and to play defensively first. He'll be a good pro a few years down the line.

Roger's Pancreas*

Attica said:
I think some people mistook the title for "name your teams best..."

Marcel Goc, Ryan Kesler and Ryan O'marra are the standouts. The best of the three could be Ryan Kesler, Marcel Goc looks excellent, but Ryan Kesler is expected to play on Vancouver's top defensive line with Cooke and Linden, I believe, he seems to have the whole package.

Not really because if you ask me there's Ryan Kesler and Mike Richards. Everyone else is a notch below them as far as being defensively responsible players.

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
jmelm said:
Maxime Talbot

He's already the Penguins best PKer.

Yeah, watch out for Mad Max. He's gonna make a name for himself very soon. The guy gives 115% every shift, and does all the little things you want players to do.

type_v

Aug 3, 2005
Toronto
Panasonic Youth said:
AHL

Not to burst your bubble, but doesnt that speak more about the team than the player if +1 is the second best rating?

:dunno:

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Matt Ellison (Hawks). Plays all forward positions, point on the PP, PK, knows where the puck is & throws the body when appropriate. And a better scorer than HE thinks.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
ryz said:
How about Eric Nystrom on the Flames?
I think he deserves a mention up there, he did get the award for best defensive forward in College last season (though it may have just been for his league) nonetheless I think he is still capable of being up there, though he didn't make the Flames out of camp I think he put in a superb effort and will not be long in the AHL.

Maithz

Higgins and Chipchura

Higgins more like a 2nd liner Center . 20 g 35-40 a

Chipchura could be a 3rd line center with offensive upside . 15 g 30 a

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
type_v said:
Not to burst your bubble, but doesnt that speak more about the team than the player if +1 is the second best rating?

:dunno:
What's even more strange is that the team was 6-1 and yet +1 was still the 2nd best plus/minus.

At any rate, Mike is an exceptional penalty killer and that's where his defensive abilities stand out. Many have called him the best penalty killer they've ever seen and it's certainly possible he'll be the best penalty killer on the flyers this season (and that says a ton because the Flyers have Primeau, Handzus, Gagne, and Kapanen, who are exceptional penalty killers). I think he's definately in that upper tear and I'd wager that he'll win a selke or three before his time is up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->