Top 50 games PT 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
So no one else on here fell in love with Heroes of Might and Magic

Oh the ungodly amount of hours I put in the second game! Such sweet music and fantastic gameplay

Totally forgot about Homm... #3 would definately be on my top 10 list.. honest mistake :<

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
So no one else on here fell in love with Heroes of Might and Magic

Oh the ungodly amount of hours I put in the second game! Such sweet music and fantastic gameplay
I had Master of Magic which was pretty much the original 4X title that did it perfectly. Was always interested in HOMM because it was similar but I didn't think they ever really did it quite as good. At least not the ones that I played.

CrazedZooChimp

Not enough guts
Aug 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
www.Coaster101.com
I had Master of Magic which was pretty much the original 4X title that did it perfectly. Was always interested in HOMM because it was similar but I didn't think they ever really did it quite as good. At least not the ones that I played.

I wouldn't really call them that similar, but Master of Magic is an excellent game. I was actually a little surprised Master of Orion didn't get any votes, it was one of the best non-CIV 4x strategy games I've ever played, and the basis for most modern 4x sci-fi games.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
I wouldn't really call them that similar, but Master of Magic is an excellent game. I was actually a little surprised Master of Orion didn't get any votes, it was one of the best non-CIV 4x strategy games I've ever played, and the basis for most modern 4x sci-fi games.
If it was more similar I would've loved HoMM. You could take MoM and give it updated graphics right now and it would be an amazing game. There's a kickstarter for "Worlds of Magic" I'm keeping an eye on.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
I'm really surprised you have Risen there in place of Gothic 2, which I think is a little too difficult and pretty long, but ultimately a much better game.

I love Gothic II, but Risen has a special place in my heart because it's been the game that Gothic IV should have been, imo.

And it's not like Risen is easy. There actually are some complaints that it's too hard in the beginning :laugh:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
3) Gothic 1
*raises hand*

:cheers:
Now only if your list had some Fallout on it we could be bestest friends. Not that Beth ****

I love Gothic II, but Risen has a special place in my heart because it's been the game that Gothic IV should have been, imo.

And it's not like Risen is easy. There actually are some complaints that it's too hard in the beginning :laugh:

I love Risen as well. In terms of gameplay I could throw them all in a grab bag and whichever one I randomly picked could make my list in the same spot. I voted Gothic II though mostly on length and the NOTR content which is top notch.

I even enjoyed Risen 2 though obviously the map design was a giant turd.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
:cheers:
Now only if your list had some Fallout on it we could be bestest friends. Not that Beth ****

Fallout is also interesting. Would be listed in my HMs (if I had them).
To be fair, the mods for most TES games are pretty damn cool and make a decent challenge out of it. Vanilla TES is pretty bad, though.

I love Risen as well. In terms of gameplay I could throw them all in a grab bag and whichever one I randomly picked could make my list in the same spot. I voted Gothic II though mostly on length and the NOTR content which is top notch.

I even enjoyed Risen 2 though obviously the map design was a giant turd.

Gameplay-wise, I'd put Gothic I, Gothic II and Risen above the rest. Eventhough the controls were pretty strange in the early Gothic games, they weren't much of a problem as soon as you figured them out.
And I simply love the fact that the combat system actually needs more than two brain cells to get good at. Everything's about timing and knowing the pattern of your enemies.

The reason why I didn't have Gothic II on the list was the fact that I didn't want to have more than one game per franchise on it. Would definitely crack my top 10 otherwise.

I haven't been a fan of Risen II, tbh. The entire storyline and map design just seemed... off. It didn't have that Gothic feeling anymore. It's a good game, but I can't deny that I was disappointed by it.

Too bad that we can declare Gothic as a dead ip by now. Gothic IV was a disgrace (I'd say it's a decent RPG, but it definitely isn't a game that fits into the Gothic series) and Risen got away from its paths. It's a shame, really.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Well the speculation has been that PB must fulfill it's current contract and create a Risen III. Then they'll be able to go back to Gothic since they have the IP back.

But a lot of the original creators of those games are gone so even if Gothic comes back it's probably not gonna be all that great.

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Well the speculation has been that PB must fulfill it's current contract and create a Risen III. Then they'll be able to go back to Gothic since they have the IP back.

But a lot of the original creators of those games are gone so even if Gothic comes back it's probably not gonna be all that great.

That's what I've heard as well. But as you said: A lot of the original creators are gone.

I don't expect much from Gothic V (if it ever comes out), but I'll definitely buy it anyway.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
wow, Earthworm Jim, that brings me back. I don't know if I'd put it in my top 10, but definitely in my top 20 and possibly in the top 15. Another game that understood fun better than many of its contemporaries ever could.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
also, it'd be interesting to see what everyone's opinions on the top-10 Star Wars games are. Off the top of my head, I'd say

1) Kotor 2
2) X-Wing
3) Battlefront
4) Super Empire Strikes Back
5) Republic Commando
6) Kotor 1
7) Podracer
8) Rogue Squadron 64
9) Rebel Assault
10) Star Wars Angry Birds (totally counts)

I've never played any of the Jedi Knight games but from everything I've heard I'm sure at least one of them would make the list

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
wow, Earthworm Jim, that brings me back. I don't know if I'd put it in my top 10, but definitely in my top 20 and possibly in the top 15. Another game that understood fun better than many of its contemporaries ever could.

Yeah, should've been top 15 for me. I regret putting it in over Halo 1.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

I listen to the Earthworm Jim soundtrack fairly regularly

Love the track for Level 5

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Speaking of 4X games, I might have put Galactic Civilizations 2 on a list, but its lack of multiplayer is a big minus for me, excellent game otherwise.

I'm afraid sir that we cannot be friends :rant:

No seriously though, they addressed this at the time of the release. They found that only about 90% would not use a multiplayer mode, which would take up a whole lot of development resources and require some design changes to make happen. So they said screw it, and just focused everything into the single player game. Even still the multiplayer proponents are always extremely vocal when something doesn't have it. Even reviewers, they'll give the game an excellent review ticking off numerous highlights, but then end with a 'but where's the multiplayer?' parting shot. And people wonder why developers feel the need to cram multiplayer into everything, whether it belongs or not.

I mean it's not like these are FPS games, where you finish the 4-20 hour campaign then get extended value out of online multiplayer. with the 4x genre you can get hundreds of hours just playing the standard game without ever having to go online. And this is how the vast majority of the audience play actually games like Galactic Civilization, Civilization, Total War, etc.

So Stardock deciding not to include multiplayer in GC2 is a big plus in my book.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I've read the justification, and it's a good one, but I love playing these types of games with friends. I'm actually not a big multiplayer guy, I really only do multiplayer games with personal friends. It just so happens I really like MP in these turn-based 4X games, I think they're great fun. My and a friend of mine would play Civ IV for 6-12 hours at a time together, good times. I will refer you to my list, which has very few multiplayer games included in it.

PS Come on man, you know you want to be my friend. I am a great friend.

LSnow

Jan 5, 2012
Finland

No seriously though, they addressed this at the time of the release. They found that only about 90% would not use a multiplayer mode, which would take up a whole lot of development resources and require some design changes to make happen. So they said screw it, and just focused everything into the single player game. Even still the multiplayer proponents are always extremely vocal when something doesn't have it. Even reviewers, they'll give the game an excellent review ticking off numerous highlights, but then end with a 'but where's the multiplayer?' parting shot. And people wonder why developers feel the need to cram multiplayer into everything, whether it belongs or not.

I mean it's not like these are FPS games, where you finish the 4-20 hour campaign then get extended value out of online multiplayer. with the 4x genre you can get hundreds of hours just playing the standard game without ever having to go online. And this is how the vast majority of the audience play actually games like Galactic Civilization, Civilization, Total War, etc.

So Stardock deciding not to include multiplayer in GC2 is a big plus in my book.

Because people want to play other things as well in multiplayer other than FPS games.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

It's the obsession with value and quantity (in regards to the reviewers, not the poster who wished GC had multiplayer to hot-seat which, I agree, can be awesome)

People assign value to mutliplayer since it can extend expected play time of game and will, somewhat stupidly, assume they are missing out on value if multiplayer is not included a game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->