Top 50 games PT 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
it wouldn't have gotten any other votes but I completely forgot about SimAnt.
simant.gif

when I was a little kid I played this game non-stop, more often than not just seeing all the ways I could die. Good times.

Zodiac

Jul 6, 2003
yeah i used to play SimAnt a lot on the SNES.

SimAnt_SNES_box.jpg

the goal was to take over the back yard and make your way to the house wasn't it?

can't really remember, but i played it a lot and enjoyed it.

how about Theme Hospital? that game was sweet. had a lot of fun with that one, too.

Theme_Hospital.front_cover.jpg

Bullfrog was one of my fave developers back in the 90s. too bad EA destroyed them. same with Westwood (the C&C devs). friggen shame what happened to 2 of the best devs from the 90s.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Honestly I was very surprised to see the lack of votes for Quake.

I was almost certaint almost everone between 30-35ish would vote for it at least those who were in to multi player

JesusPrice

Aug 14, 2007
Newfoundland
My full list looked like:

1. Final Fantasy VI - SNES
2. Rock Band 3 - 360
3. Super Mario World - SNES
4. Super Mario Kart - SNES
5. Mega Man 2 - NES
6. Super Mario Bros 3 - NES
7. Championship Manager 2001-2002 - PC
8. Guitar Hero 1 - PS2
9. Final Fantasy VII - PS1
10. Super Mario RPG - SNES

Was happy that haqlf my list was there. Disappointing and surprised that Super Mario Kart was #51 (and that it was after SMK64).

Sad that I was the only person to vote for Rock Band 3. Over the past 3 years it basically the only game I have played (fist bump for my 1000 full combo's on Expert Guitar)

Knew that CM2001-02 wouldn't be on the list but its the ultimate in soccer simulation games. My brother still plays its most everyday and I wish my computer would. Need to make sure my new computer can play it.

Most surprising thing was that Super Metroid got 1 vote. Despite the fact that I havent played it, its commonly in the top 3 for SNES games (with LTTP and CT) and I expected it to be here as well.

Overall I am happy with the number of retro games represented. I am not into new games at all (been playing through GTAV, thats about it) so I know nothing of the all the FPS like COD, HL, or Halo, or even games like ME or Fallout, so Im glad it wasnt to new age based. Give me Super Mario World any day over any new title :D

Lastly, thanks Trap Jesus for all the hardwork. Despite the criticism given throughout (which was quite dumb and disheartening), I thought you did a great job :)

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
1) Chrono Trigger
2) Final Fantasy VI
3) Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
4) Mario Kart 64
5) Fallout 3
6) XXX
7) XXX
8) XXX
9) Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
10) XXX

All the ones I expected to make it made it.

cody275

Nov 14, 2008
1. The Last of Us
2. Perfect Dark
3. Pokemon Blue
4. Champions of Norrath
5. Valkyria Chronicles
6. Pokemon HeartGold
7. Conflict Global Terror
8. Mario Party
9. Super Mario World 3
10. Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2

The ones I expected to make it made it, not surprised that the rest of them didn't make it. Wouldn't be shocked if I was the only vote for half of my list lol

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Here's my list

1. Starcraft - #33
2. Warcraft 3 - #-
3. Mega Man 2 - #45
4. Probotector (Contra in the US) - #-
5. Little Big Adventure 2 - #-
6. Quake - #-
7. Gun.Smoke - #-
8. Donkey Kong Country 3 - #-
9. Turtles II: The Arcade Game - #-
10. Monkey Island 3 - #-

Turns out I have quite a different taste =)

In terms of hours played It's clearly Starcraft, Warcraft 3 and Quake simply because of the amazing multiplay mode.

MI3 and LBA2 are probably the two games I have played the most in single play mode.. replay value is through the roof and both have golden moments of comedy.

Mega Man 2, Probotector, Gun.Smoke, Turtles II: The Arcade Game, DKC3 - means so much nostalgiawise to me.. I had so much fun with these game as a kid and I still do to this date =) Those were pretty much the first games I bought back as an adult when I started to collect again.. Collection is up to about 140 complete NES games and 15 or so SNES-games

SAM_0496_zps22e370d5.jpg

As you can see the PAL version of the games all look different from the NTSC versions..

Zih

Dater's Gonna Hate
Dec 19, 2008
Colorado
I loved TMNT2 and Gun.Smoke. I still play them on emulator every once in a while. Both games are quite a bit easier now than when I was a kid.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Dungeon keeper, guys. There is a GOG release with the expansion that works great on win 7. I was playing it last night for over two hours.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Red Alert 2 was a solid pick. Definitely top 25 for me. I probably should have tossed a vote to another computer classic, Roller Coaster Tycoon (only got one other vote)

Roller Coaster Tycoon came very close to cracking my list, but I really wanted to give NHL99 a vote for nostalgia's sake.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
Here's my list:
1. Myth 2: Soulblighter
2. Deus Ex
3. Civilization IV
4. NHL 95
5. Tie Fighter
6. GTA: San Andreas
7. Halo
8. Worms Armageddon
9. Warcraft 2
10. Space Quest 5

My list is based on how much time I spent playing a game, combined with it's overall quality. To be honest, I haven't played many games in the past 10 years. As I posted in the last thread, Myth 2 is my favorite game ever. Deus Ex, Civ 4, GTA: SA and Halo all made the top 50, unsurprisingly. It appears I was the only one to list Myth 2, Worms: Armageddon, Warcraft 2 and Space Quest 5.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
So I made a list but I just can't order it, too much of a *****. Figured since I posted in this thread I owed a list:

Metal Gear Solid 3
Lunar 2
The Witcher 2
Fallout
Jaggied Alliance 2
Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl
Uncharted 2
Diablo II
Shadows of Colossus
Civilization IV

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This was my list:

10) Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
9) Earthworm Jim
8) Tetris
7) Toejam and Earl
6) Mass Effect 3
5) Sonic the Hedgehog 2
4) Mass Effect 2
3) Metal Gear Solid 3
2) Shadow of the Colossus
1) Metal Gear Solid

By favorite, I decided to go with "favorite experience based on nostalgia/memory." A lot of these are older because games had more of an impact when I was growing up, so I remember them more fondly.

I ****ed up by having Skyrim and Earthworm Jim here in place of HL2, Halo 1, or Diablo II. Oh well.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Honestly I was very surprised to see the lack of votes for Quake.

I was almost certaint almost everone between 30-35ish would vote for it at least those who were in to multi player

I sank a lot of time into Quake, but I just don't have that much attachment to them. I basically went by sentimentality myself.

So I made a list but I just can't order it, too much of a *****. Figured since I posted in this thread I owed a list:

Metal Gear Solid 3
Lunar 2
The Witcher 2
Fallout
Jaggied Alliance 2
Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl
Uncharted 2
Diablo II
Shadows of Colossus
Civilization IV

I like you.

it wouldn't have gotten any other votes but I completely forgot about SimAnt.
simant.gif

when I was a little kid I played this game non-stop, more often than not just seeing all the ways I could die. Good times.

I tried to figure that game out on PC without a manual. Couldn't do it.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
So no one else on here fell in love with Heroes of Might and Magic

Oh the ungodly amount of hours I put in the second game! Such sweet music and fantastic gameplay

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
Well, I guess I can post my complete list now

1) TLoZ MM
2) SM64
3) Gothic 1
4) Sacred 2
5) Pokemon Colosseum
6) Risen
7) Fire Emblem: Awakening
8) SSBM
9) Alice: Madness Returns
10) Conker's Bad Fur Day

Well, some games might be a little obscure for you guys. And it's obviously not a "best games" list, but really a "favorite games" list. Means that nostalgia and personal preference play a pretty big role for some games.

Who voted for Gothic 1?

*raises hand*

Last edited:

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I like you.

:naughty:

Oh the ungodly amount of hours I put in the second game! Such sweet music and fantastic gameplay

My friend showed me HOMM 3 a few years back and I really like it, but I just have a hard time sticking it in my list with Civ IV there, great game though.

Well, I guess I can post my complete list now

Well, some games might be a little obscure for you guys. And it's obviously not a "best games" list, but really a "favorite games" list. Means that nostalgia and personal preference play a pretty big role for some games.

I'm really surprised you have Risen there in place of Gothic 2, which I think is a little too difficult and pretty long, but ultimately a much better game.

Did anyone ever play or vote for Jagged Alliance 2? It's gotta be one of the best games I've ever played from a gameplay standpoint and I'm shocked it wasn't one of the 300+ games voted on.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I'm of the opinion the soundtrack for Shadow of the Colossus is the best of any game, ever. It's perfect for the game and enhances the epicocity.

Captain Awesome

Mar 29, 2008
Long Beach, CA
I love it because of the art style, and also it's one of the leanest games I've ever played. There is no filler, only getting from one boss battle to another. It's got this very NES feel about it in a lot of ways with how sparse the dialog is. That every boss is a puzzle makes it totally amazing as well. The game has great atmosphere and if they ever re-made it properly with high end graphics I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
The PS3 HD version is awesome

Felt like playing the game as it was meant to be

Add the fact that you get ICO with it and it's a no-brainer

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I love it because of the art style, and also it's one of the leanest games I've ever played. There is no filler, only getting from one boss battle to another. It's got this very NES feel about it in a lot of ways with how sparse the dialog is. That every boss is a puzzle makes it totally amazing as well. The game has great atmosphere and if they ever re-made it properly with high end graphics I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Same here.

And yeah, there is something exhilarating about trying to solve a 100 foot tall puzzle that is also trying to stomp on you. The small, fast Colossi were the hardest, though.

That game managed to make the journey from boss to boss something special as well, with a really varied landscape and a unique navigational system.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

I voted for Heroes 3. You could play that game forever and never get tired of it.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Completely forgot about Roller Coaster Tycoon, Red Alert (C&C in general), those were games I played a lot as a kid. SC/WC3 as well, but I tossed them in for nostalgia reasons. I had to do a full uninstall and destroy those discs in order to stop playing them, had a pretty bad addiction as a kid to them.

I'm pretty sure I was the only vote for Crash Team Racing, but it was a personal favorite. I just never got bored with it. Spyro too, kind of wish I still had my PS1 just to boot up those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad