Top 5 players on a breakaway/penalty shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
This should spark a wide range of opinions. Who was the best player ever on a breakaway? Who were the top 5 in your opinion. Who was on a breakaway and it was lights out, you KNEW they'd score in the pit of your stomach.

My 5 and why:

1. Mario Lemieux - Like you had to even ask eh? There was a reason that when Lemieux was in all alone on a goalie the goalie would have this deer-in-the-headlights look on him. That's cause Lemieux knew he mad them at his mercy. he almost looked like he would toy with the goalie, but it didnt matter anyways. He'd either put it top shelf over the goalies shoulder or in the top corner after it grazed the post on the inside, or he'd use his big reach and when the goalie goes the other way he'd just casually slide it in. My favourite one of Lemieux is when in '93 he had a clear cut breakaway vs. the Rangers and with such ease he just dekes Healy out of his jock. Its on Rock 'Em Sock Em #5. Healy looks so bad on that one but he wasnt Mario was just that good. Plus he's 6/8 on penalty shots. Who stopped him? I'm not sure. :dunno: Why was Mario so good on breakaways? I dont know ask Mylnikov (Russian goalie in Game 3 of '87 Canada Cup who allowed mario's famous top corner goal from Gretzky).

2. Pavel Bure - The thing with Bure is that his speed scared the pants off of you. A goalie wouldnt have time to react cause he'd be in there so fast. His best move was forcing the goalie to open up his legs and then putting it five hole as he was moving side to side. He made it look so easy, but no one else did it with such ease. Bure was more of the type to deke the goalie out of position rather than putting it top shelf. It was a miracle when Richter stopped him on a penalty shot in '94. But for whatever reason it was always lights out when he was in all alone. Mike Vernon will tell you that one.

3. Mike Bossy - The thing about Bossy was his scoring touch. He could put the puck up on the edge if he had to just to find a hole. And he did. He was another guy who hypnotized goalies back in his day, maybe not to the extent of Lemieux but he was just a pure bona fide sniper who scored, scored and scored. He scored the Cup winner in '83 on a breakaway form centre. Let's just say the puck was in before he even shot.

4. Jaromir Jagr - Love him or hate him, this guy scored when it was just him or the goalie (or two defenseman for that matter). He may be past his prime now but think about him from '94-01. Jagr made your jaw drop witht he way he deked the goalies out. He also had a gave the goalies a mental disadvantage much to the way Hasek did to shooters. In his prime he always did the same thing on goalies. He'd go back and forth with the puck 5 or six times before finally making his mind up to go forehand or backhand, which by then the goalie was usually dizzy. I remember Glenn Healy making a glove save of Jagr when he had been deked out of position in the late 90s. Even Healy looked surprised that he had it. Remember in the '98 Olympics in the shootout when he was the 4th shooter against Roy? If he scores its over. I remember just watching him come down the ice with those trademark hair locks and time just stopped, somehow he just hit the post. But he did that to you. When he had a breakaway, you never got up and went to the bathroom.

5. Joe Sakic - I may or may not get grilled on this one. But to me if I needed a goal on a penalty shot in the current NHL (not all time), I'd bet the farm on Joe. He WILL score. You just know that. It isnt his breakaway prowess that makes you think of him, but how often does he get stuffed when he's alone. Sakic has the best wrist shot in the game, and arguably the most accurate. He'll look for a hole and just aim. Remember in '02 Olympics when he went in alone on Richter. Lets just say he was NOT going to miss on that one, you knew it. It was his smarts and accuracy that set(s) him aside. That and his speed. He just had shots labelled before they left his stick.

Okay there it is. Feel free to disagree on that one I know some will. Other guys I think of are Lafleur, Goulet, Cournoyer. Currently Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, St. Louis, come to mind.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I'll go with your top 4 and keep the 5 spot open. (I hate filling out top# lists because there are usually a ton more that could fill it out.)

KOVALEV10*

Big Phil said:
This should spark a wide range of opinions. Who was the best player ever on a breakaway? Who were the top 5 in your opinion. Who was on a breakaway and it was lights out, you KNEW they'd score in the pit of your stomach.

My 5 and why:

1. Mario Lemieux - Like you had to even ask eh? There was a reason that when Lemieux was in all alone on a goalie the goalie would have this deer-in-the-headlights look on him. That's cause Lemieux knew he mad them at his mercy. he almost looked like he would toy with the goalie, but it didnt matter anyways. He'd either put it top shelf over the goalies shoulder or in the top corner after it grazed the post on the inside, or he'd use his big reach and when the goalie goes the other way he'd just casually slide it in. My favourite one of Lemieux is when in '93 he had a clear cut breakaway vs. the Rangers and with such ease he just dekes Healy out of his jock. Its on Rock 'Em Sock Em #5. Healy looks so bad on that one but he wasnt Mario was just that good. Plus he's 6/8 on penalty shots. Who stopped him? I'm not sure. :dunno: Why was Mario so good on breakaways? I dont know ask Mylnikov (Russian goalie in Game 3 of '87 Canada Cup who allowed mario's famous top corner goal from Gretzky).

2. Pavel Bure - The thing with Bure is that his speed scared the pants off of you. A goalie wouldnt have time to react cause he'd be in there so fast. His best move was forcing the goalie to open up his legs and then putting it five hole as he was moving side to side. He made it look so easy, but no one else did it with such ease. Bure was more of the type to deke the goalie out of position rather than putting it top shelf. It was a miracle when Richter stopped him on a penalty shot in '94. But for whatever reason it was always lights out when he was in all alone. Mike Vernon will tell you that one.

3. Mike Bossy - The thing about Bossy was his scoring touch. He could put the puck up on the edge if he had to just to find a hole. And he did. He was another guy who hypnotized goalies back in his day, maybe not to the extent of Lemieux but he was just a pure bona fide sniper who scored, scored and scored. He scored the Cup winner in '83 on a breakaway form centre. Let's just say the puck was in before he even shot.

4. Jaromir Jagr - Love him or hate him, this guy scored when it was just him or the goalie (or two defenseman for that matter). He may be past his prime now but think about him from '94-01. Jagr made your jaw drop witht he way he deked the goalies out. He also had a gave the goalies a mental disadvantage much to the way Hasek did to shooters. In his prime he always did the same thing on goalies. He'd go back and forth with the puck 5 or six times before finally making his mind up to go forehand or backhand, which by then the goalie was usually dizzy. I remember Glenn Healy making a glove save of Jagr when he had been deked out of position in the late 90s. Even Healy looked surprised that he had it. Remember in the '98 Olympics in the shootout when he was the 4th shooter against Roy? If he scores its over. I remember just watching him come down the ice with those trademark hair locks and time just stopped, somehow he just hit the post. But he did that to you. When he had a breakaway, you never got up and went to the bathroom.

5. Joe Sakic - I may or may not get grilled on this one. But to me if I needed a goal on a penalty shot in the current NHL (not all time), I'd bet the farm on Joe. He WILL score. You just know that. It isnt his breakaway prowess that makes you think of him, but how often does he get stuffed when he's alone. Sakic has the best wrist shot in the game, and arguably the most accurate. He'll look for a hole and just aim. Remember in '02 Olympics when he went in alone on Richter. Lets just say he was NOT going to miss on that one, you knew it. It was his smarts and accuracy that set(s) him aside. That and his speed. He just had shots labelled before they left his stick.

Okay there it is. Feel free to disagree on that one I know some will. Other guys I think of are Lafleur, Goulet, Cournoyer. Currently Kovalchuk, Lecavalier, St. Louis, come to mind.

Man its so tough to choose.

Rocket, Lafleur, Lemieux, Bossy, Bure and Jagr. Sakic is great but not the best. Cournoyer was great but he lost control of the puck on breakaways sometimes due to his incredible speed.

West19

Jul 19, 2004
Not as flashy as others but Forsberg always seems to get it done on a breakaway otherwise i pretty much agree with Big Phils top 5

Last edited:

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Sakic is great on a penalty shots but where he's really great and scores bunch of his goals is on 2 on 1's or 3 on 1thats when his wrist shot becoems even more important and he just picks his corners.

Ogopogo*

BuppY said:
Sakic is great on a penalty shots but where he's really great and scores bunch of his goals is on 2 on 1's or 3 on 1thats when his wrist shot becoems even more important and he just picks his corners.

I know everybody believes that Gretzky was horrible on penalty shots and breakaways but, when it mattered, he always scored.

He never missed a penalty shot in his career and during a critical time in the playoffs (I clearly remember the 1991 Canada Cup semifinal vs. Sweden) he always put it in. He was clutch when one on one.

Is he the best ever on breakaways? No way. But, when the game is on the line, give me Gretzky. (Crawford you idiot)

Galchenkel

Nov 9, 2003
Saint Pierre
twitter.com
datsyuk is strong! don't you never heard of that time in Detroit when during a practice guys had 10 breakaways opportunities and datsyuk was the only one to score 10 times! :yo: and more...he scored in 10 different way :amazed:

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
"Plus he's 6/8 on penalty shots. Who stopped him? I'm not sure."

One was Hasek, in either '96 or '97. I think Hasek always had some relative success against Lemieux. I remember he stopped Lemieux on a breakaway in the '92 Finals.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
I'm sorry but... this thread is inane without statistics!

Could someone provide a link?

KOVALEV10*

tom_servo said:

One was Hasek, in either '96 or '97. I think Hasek always had some relative success against Lemieux. I remember he stopped Lemieux on a breakaway in the '92 Finals.

How many people have scored against Hasek on breakaways? Not too much to say the least ;)

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Bure Bure Bure, every goalie knows the exact deke he is going to do (since he always does the same one) and bure always manages to still get the puck past them. (Cept Richter who is definitely top 3 goalies on breakaways/Penalty shots...10/11 on PS's)

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Bure Bure Bure, every goalie knows the exact deke he is going to do (since he always does the same one) and bure always manages to still get the puck past them. (Cept Richter who is definitely top 3 goalies on breakaways/Penalty shots...10/11 on PS's)

Bure had two moves. The one deke, and then the quick wrist/snap shot through the 5-hole. He's the 2nd best I've ever seen, and the only one even in Lemieux's universe.

Marcus-74

Apr 27, 2005
Sergei Makarov!

Great on breakaways, great on 1-on-1... with Lemieux, the most difficult guy to handle ever for the goalies and defensemen.

Masao

Nov 24, 2002
masaohf.atspace.com
Aside from the obvious guys like Lemieux or Jagr, in the past couple of years I've been really amazed by Ilya Kovalchuk's finish on breakaways. He just seems to beam through the ice and beat the goalie with such quick moves that it's hard to see what he did. Unbelievable quickness and agility.

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Big Phil said:

My 5 and why:

I can't think of anyone I would choose over your top 5...although not necessarily in the same order. And I would bet the farm of Joe too!

jacketracket*

Big Phil said:
One of my all-time favorite CBJ/Nationwide Arena moments ... CBJ and Colorado, in an OT game late last season. Sakic goes in all alone on a breakaway from the red line, puts a shot high glove-side, and Denis gloves it.

CBJ score later in OT to take their first franchise win against the hated Avs.

Edit: forgot to mention that Denis had also stoned Kariya on a penalty shot earlier in the game

Last edited by a moderator:

someguy44

Apr 6, 2004
Space Jail
tom_servo said:

Bill Rantford (sp?) was the other. Now, do I get a cookie?

Hadoop

Aug 13, 2002
Mississauga
medmed said:
datsyuk is strong! don't you never heard of that time in Detroit when during a practice guys had 10 breakaways opportunities and datsyuk was the only one to score 10 times! :yo: and more...he scored in 10 different way :amazed:

Wow that's INSANE!

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
tom_servo said:

The late Bunny Larocque stopped Wayne on a ps in a 6-1 Leaf win sometime around 81/82 on Hockey Night in Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->