Top 5 in 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

dancingtree

May 9, 2003
So-Cal
Visit site
Who are the top 5 in 2005, and where will they go?

My guess:
1) Sidney Crosby (C) - New York Rangers
2) Gilbert Brule (C) - Phoenix Coyotes
3) Guillaume Latendresse (W) - Washington Capitals
4) Teemo Lakkso (D) - Columbus Blue Jackets
5) Vitaly Anikeenko (D) - Pittsburgh Penguins

X-SHARKIE

Well no one knows were they well go but. I think your missing Andrew Cogliano. I love watching this guy play, and if he works on his hands over the summer, he could be the #2 pick in the draft IMO. Daniel Bertram also deserves a shot at the top 5, although alot of people do. SImply put this is going to be an amazing draft :)

FearTheFlyers

Feb 3, 2003
Visit site
1. Sidney Crosby
2. Gilbert Brule
3. Guillaume Latendresse
4. Daniel Bertram
5. Bobby Ryan
6. Matt Lashoff
7. Vitaly Anikeenko
8. Andrew Cogliano
9. Teemu Laakso
10. Nik Drazenovic

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
dancingtree said:

My guess:

You mean IF there is a season these will be the 5 lotto teams? I guess you think the Blackhawks will move up out of the bottom 5?

HOWEVER--if there is no season, will not be the same bottom 5 as last draft get their shot at #1 again.......if that is the rule,then Chicago goes at #2 pre-lotto --and the worst they would draft would be #3 again if they failed to win the lotto......
We all know the hockey gods wouls never allow the Hawks to get Crosby,STILL --it is going to be an exceptional draft and whether they got Brule,or Latendresse or Cogliano,or Bertram,in the #2 or #3 spot,they would get a very good
prospect..........thus if there is no season,the only way NYR gets Crosby is if the NHL decides to hold a 30 team free for all for the #1 and NYR wins it (better =from 6th best chance if a weighted system used;only 1/30 if all 30 teams get equal shot at Crosby) OR if whatever team holds the winning lotto position at 31 trades it to NYR.....both these scenarios seem unlikely.

In the event that the NHL is loco enough to grant a 30 team free for all lotto for Crosby (if no season) = NYR /DET/PHI/TOR "ususual suspects" who run the league get their way,then "justice" (to long-suffering Blackhawks fans) would best be served by the Hawks winning that lotto anyway--of course the chances of that are worse than zero --you will know the "fix" was in when NYR or DET walk away with the Crosby prize......

db23

Yeah, yeah, the whole world is conspiring against the Chicago Blackhawks. :shakehead

Back to the topic, I can't see why Brule would go #2 overall. I would hate to try to slot them this early, but my bet is that Brule doesn't make the top 5. I see him as being very similar to Scottie Upshall or Jamie Lundmark and going somewhere similar in the draft as to where those guys were taken. Somewhere between 5 and 10 overall. Andrew Cogliano has bested him in the only two times they've played with/against each other. Jack Johnson has looked superb playing against older players at the U.S. U20 tournament. That doesn't take into account Europeans either.

X-SHARKIE

db23 said:
Yeah, yeah, the whole world is conspiring against the Chicago Blackhawks. :shakehead

Back to the topic, I can't see why Brule would go #2 overall. I would hate to try to slot them this early, but my bet is that Brule doesn't make the top 5. I see him as being very similar to Scottie Upshall or Jamie Lundmark and going somewhere similar in the draft as to where those guys were taken. Somewhere between 5 and 10 overall. Andrew Cogliano has bested him in the only two times they've played with/against each other. Jack Johnson has looked superb playing against older players at the U.S. U20 tournament. That doesn't take into account Europeans either.

Brule talent level puts Upshall or Lundmark to shame IMO. Brule is the real deal, and still the favorite to go #2 IMO.

BobMarleyNYR

Rangers future on D
May 2, 2004
Alphabet
1. Gee, I wonder...
2. Brule, C
3. Latendresse, LW
4. Anikeenko, D
5. Cogliano, C
6. Kindl, D
7. Rask, G
8. Zagrapan, RW
9. Johnson, D
10. Madsen, F

I know Zagrapan will go pretty high... I have a feeling about Madsen, also. Bertram will fall to 12-15, IMO.

X-SHARKIE

BobMarleyNYR said:
1. Gee, I wonder...
2. Brule, C
3. Latendresse, LW
4. Anikeenko, D
5. Cogliano, C
6. Kindl, D
7. Rask, G
8. Zagrapan, RW
9. Johnson, D
10. Madsen, F

I know Zagrapan will go pretty high... I have a feeling about Madsen, also. Bertram will fall to 12-15, IMO.

I have to say thats a good top 7, but I never seen Zagrapan or Madsen....but I really like the top 7. Man what a draft.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
db23 said:
Back to the topic, I can't see why Brule would go #2 overall. I would hate to try to slot them this early, but my bet is that Brule doesn't make the top 5.

Be prepared to eat some serious crow.

TKLOOCH22

Jul 23, 2002
Nueva York
Visit site
1. Sidney Crosby
2. Gilbert Brule
3. Dan Bertram
4. Jack Johnson
5. Tuukka Rask
6. Andrew Cogliano
7. Vitaly Anikeenko
8. Guillame Latendresse
9. Jakub Kindl
10. Niklas Bergfors

Man, many great players are missing and these 10 guys could be interchanged easily from 1-9 IMO.

Bobby Ryan, Devin Setoguchi, JP Levasseur, Teemu Laakso, Anze Kopitar, Chris Durand, Matt Lashoff, Risto Korhonen, Chris Gawlick, Marek Zagrapan, JP Paquet, Jakub Vojta, Alex Bourret, Ryan Mior, Siarhei Kastsitsyn. A Beauty of a top 25.

db23

Brule is hugely overrated. I could go back and find dozens of players over the past few years who have scored a point a game or better in the CHL in their season before the draft. Most of them were bigger than Brule at the time as well. Rob Schremp scored at a better rate in the OHL at the age of 16 than Brule. He was 6 months younger at the time and 15 pounds heavier.

Sticky*

TKLOOCH22 said:
1. Sidney Crosby
2. Gilbert Brule
3. Dan Bertram
4. Jack Johnson
5. Tuukka Rask
6. Andrew Cogliano
7. Vitaly Anikeenko
8. Guillame Latendresse
9. Jakub Kindl
10. Niklas Bergfors

Man, many great players are missing and these 10 guys could be interchanged easily from 1-9 IMO.

Bobby Ryan, Devin Setoguchi, JP Levasseur, Teemu Laakso, Anze Kopitar, Chris Durand, Matt Lashoff, Risto Korhonen, Chris Gawlick, Marek Zagrapan, JP Paquet, Jakub Vojta, Alex Bourret, Ryan Mior, Siarhei Kastsitsyn. A Beauty of a top 25.

Staal WILL be in the top 15.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
I dont know much about any of these players aside from Brule and Crosby. But as a Rangers fan, we have 3 2nd rd picks and will probably have at least one more. So I was wondering, is this a deep draft or just top heavy?

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
1. Sidney Crosby
2. Gilbert Brule
3. Guillame Latendresse
4. Vitaly Anikeenko
5. Dan Bertram
6. Andrew Cogliano
7. Devin Setoguchi
8. JP Levasseur
9. Jakub Kindl
10. Matt Lashoff
11. Tukka Rask
12. Jack Johnson
13. Bobby Ryan
14. Niklas Bergfors
15. Teemu Laakso

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
Reveille said:
10. Matt Lashoff
12. Jack Johnson

Having watched these two at the recent WJC camp in Grand Forks, I'd have to say I would take Johnson above Lashoff without even thinking about it. While I like Lashoff's size and offensive ability, Johnson is just full of talent and already plays a very well-rounded game. He made some very solid plays that really impressed me. In particular, there was one rush when I saw him take the puck from his own zone all the way up ice with a forechecker on his back, the entire way.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
"10. Matt Lashoff
12. Jack Johnson"

Wow, I looked really quick and I think it said 'Jackoff'.

dancingtree

May 9, 2003
So-Cal
Visit site
hawksfan50 said:
You mean IF there is a season these will be the 5 lotto teams? I guess you think the Blackhawks will move up out of the bottom 5?
When I made my picks, I was assuming there would be an NHL season and guessing on how the lotto played out.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Reveille said:
1. Sidney Crosby
2. Gilbert Brule
3. Guillame Latendresse
4. Vitaly Anikeenko
5. Dan Bertram
6. Andrew Cogliano
7. Devin Setoguchi
8. JP Levasseur
9. Jakub Kindl
10. Matt Lashoff
11. Tukka Rask
12. Jack Johnson
13. Bobby Ryan
14. Niklas Bergfors
15. Teemu Laakso

Setoguchi at #7? There is no way on earth he could end up that high. Granted he is a top 25 pick. Carry on, buisness as usual.

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
dancingtree said:

My guess:

I dont see why you put the coyotes so low. I'm not a big fan of them but they did improve their them quit a bit this off season

dancingtree

May 9, 2003
So-Cal
Visit site
x-bob said:
I dont see why you put the coyotes so low. I'm not a big fan of them but they did improve their them quit a bit this off season
I picked Phoenix so low because their goaltending is rather weak. But, I have been wrong before. Tampa Bay was not my pick to win the cup last year either.
I am just having some fun guessing what might happen.

Don Draper

Feb 7, 2003
ottawa
Visit site
NYRangers said:
I dont know much about any of these players aside from Brule and Crosby. But as a Rangers fan, we have 3 2nd rd picks and will probably have at least one more. So I was wondering, is this a deep draft or just top heavy?

yeh, kinda wondering about this myself. Is it gonna be as close to as deep as 03, right through the 2nd and 3rd round, or are there great players in the first round, than decline after that?

Canucks-R-best

Jan 12, 2003
Visit site
If Carey Price keeps winning and showing excellent skill he might slip in the top 20....I know not top 5 its just that he just back stopped Canada for U-18 gold and hasnt been mentioned yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->