Top 30 for 2008

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
The "conensus" RIGHT NOW is that STAMKOS and DOUGHTY willbe #1 -2 --though in which order I don't know--may depend on team needs...

THAT being said--look what happened to Esposito--you never now for sure that a front-runner a year from the draft won't be overtaken ..I doubt STAMKOS or DOUGHTY would fall very far off the top 5 though should anyone overtake them..

The most interesting NA case could be Toews --we;ll see if he grows and "develops" even more this season..

Secondly--in any rating --you have a true rating (being fair to euros) and what nOW has transpired with NHL PREFERENCES due to i) Russian issues on transfer or just getting the kids over /competing on RSL salaries;ii) the shorter 2 yr window to assess + the transfer fees even when you agree to sign them pushing even NON-RUSSIAN kids lower on NHL teams "target" lists--ie pushed to later rounds (cutting the risk in ssessing them and the amount of transfer fees)...THUS the converse of eurodrappage is the UPPAGE of Jr A and U.S. Jr players who will go onto the NCAA and where you have longer to assess them to offer contracts + NO TRANSFER $$$ paid...

THUS you now have a disconnect between the TRUE TALENT RATINGS and the PREFERRED DRAFT RANKINGS...

This makes it tougher than ever to get a proper picture of rating players for the draft...

Thus perhaps the CSS way of separating NA and EURO rankings is the better way to go than 1 combined list...you know now that most euros willbe de-valued on draft day anyway now...

You must also devalue certain CHL Jrs on the NA list now because many more JR A and U.S. Jr and H.S. players will be preferred by NHL teams than ever before in higher draft positions because they can hold their rights longer as they go through the NCAA ..

The problems of coming upwith 1 combined list that is REALISTIC now are far greater thanever before when itsimply was based on talentandnothing else..that is no longer the case.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I'm amazed at how little attention Bogosian gets. I'd put him up there right behind Doughty and Pietrangelo. Maybe Del Zotto too, but I like Bogosian's defencive game more.

well its still a year away, and a lot can happen by then. He will rise, and I agree that the gap is closing between him and the others you listed. The kid has a great all-around game that has few flaws right now.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Armenian surname.

Right spell is Voynov. As for Fedor, it's Tyutin.

You're missing my point.

I said that I've seen it spelled differently a number of times and that I didn't realize that it had been "officially" Voynov. I mean, Fedor was spelled 3 different ways in a number of different media outlets which was just funny to me that no one ever bothered to get the official spelling.

I'm just saying that I find it pretty funny that with some Europeans you see a lot of variations on the spelling of their names.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
The "conensus" RIGHT NOW is that STAMKOS and DOUGHTY willbe #1 -2 --though in which order I don't know--may depend on team needs...

THAT being said--look what happened to Esposito--you never now for sure that a front-runner a year from the draft won't be overtaken ..I doubt STAMKOS or DOUGHTY would fall very far off the top 5 though should anyone overtake them..

The most interesting NA case could be Toews --we;ll see if he grows and "develops" even more this season..

Secondly--in any rating --you have a true rating (being fair to euros) and what nOW has transpired with NHL PREFERENCES due to i) Russian issues on transfer or just getting the kids over /competing on RSL salaries;ii) the shorter 2 yr window to assess + the transfer fees even when you agree to sign them pushing even NON-RUSSIAN kids lower on NHL teams "target" lists--ie pushed to later rounds (cutting the risk in ssessing them and the amount of transfer fees)...THUS the converse of eurodrappage is the UPPAGE of Jr A and U.S. Jr players who will go onto the NCAA and where you have longer to assess them to offer contracts + NO TRANSFER $$$ paid...

THUS you now have a disconnect between the TRUE TALENT RATINGS and the PREFERRED DRAFT RANKINGS...

This makes it tougher than ever to get a proper picture of rating players for the draft...

Thus perhaps the CSS way of separating NA and EURO rankings is the better way to go than 1 combined list...you know now that most euros willbe de-valued on draft day anyway now...

You must also devalue certain CHL Jrs on the NA list now because many more JR A and U.S. Jr and H.S. players will be preferred by NHL teams than ever before in higher draft positions because they can hold their rights longer as they go through the NCAA ..

The problems of coming upwith 1 combined list that is REALISTIC now are far greater thanever before when itsimply was based on talentandnothing else..that is no longer the case.

I always like your reads..I learn lots of big words, and I usually get to snuggle in with my favorite cup of French Vanilla Coffee and lose myself in your epic novels. :naughty: :) I actually understood 4 words in that post!!! :yo:

Some good points in there, and I do think that trends DOES play a big role in how drafting goes. Fewer Euros will get drafted out of fears of transfer agreements, or fear of their "attitudes" and playing styles. How many times on draft day did you hear the announcers go "Do you think that Anaheim's winning team is now the blueprint for all the teams"...and so on. They were a very North American heavy team, and maybe thats what teams want to model themselves after.

North American players have always been around, but it seems the U.S. contingent is picking up tons of steam, and is getting their guys drafted over the second-third tier of Euros.. Thats just what I am seeing, I am not ripping on Euro players at all. I will bet the 08' draft has very few Euros taken in the first 2 rounds again..some of the good ones will slip to rounds 3-5 like Mayorov did... 09' might be a little better, but who knows how it is all going to play out. Thats just my opinion on some of this stuff.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
You're missing my point.

I said that I've seen it spelled differently a number of times and that I didn't realize that it had been "officially" Voynov. I mean, Fedor was spelled 3 different ways in a number of different media outlets which was just funny to me that no one ever bothered to get the official spelling.

I'm just saying that I find it pretty funny that with some Europeans you see a lot of variations on the spelling of their names.

Yes, It happens, espescially with Russian names.:)

Bégin is the bestest*

from the LHJMQ: Sauvé, Cormier, Cornet, Néron, Tessier, Poulin.

giovanni

May 14, 2007
you guys know who are some skilled centers in this draft with some size. and i would like to know more inforamtion about Jimmy Hayes and Kyle beach.

pdxshark

Apr 26, 2006
Portland, OR
add bo montgomery to the top 40, you may not have heard his name yet but you will this next season. Solid big defenseman who hits hard and rarely gets beat defensively. Skates good enough but will need to improve that to be a first round pick.

Beach is a hell of a player but a punk, kind of guy you hate unless he's on your team. Bites off more than he can chew when fighting.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
I'll Revise the edition becuase for most of this i threw top prospects names together, give me time and I'll make a good list.

MikeT

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
There is no doubt Doughty will be the first dman chosen but after him there is a big list of unreal dmen here in the OHL Alex Pieterangelo, and Michael Del Zotto are sure fire top prospects both were rookies last year and dominated...

Also fo rthose ranking McRae in the first round I think thats by name/team. Cause honestly he hasn't done much yet. He's a puck hog and rarely uses his teammates... I hope he gained some weight he is clear not comfortable in his size yet he is very raw. I also don't see him rising too much cause he will once again be buried on a very strong London team this season... I don't even see him in London's top six. But I'm expecting them to roll three strong lines with no real checking line but three powerful lines.

Ess_37

Aug 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I am really enjoying seeing Zach Boychuk ranked so high. We are both from the same hometown, and seeing him ranked so high for next years draft is quite exciting.

Boychuk, along with Dana Tyrell being drafted last weekend and Darcy Campbell being signed by the Columbus Blue Jackets towards the end of last season, its an exciting time for hockey in Airdrie, Alberta.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Change Matsson for Gustafsson. He's much better.
One thing more about Swedes: Tedenby has edge over Pettersson, due to Petersson's one-dimensional play.
Johan Motin must be ranked high, it remains unknown if he will show more offense this season, but a regular spot with one of the best SEL teams at 17, is a serious feat.

I wouldnt say that Anton Gustafsson is much better (have you seen them play?) than Joakim Mattsson, but he surely is a better prospect, because of terrific size (he can skate well too). In terms of how good they are right now, id say its pretty much a draw (with maybe a slight edge to Mattsson). But, like I said, your right about that Anton should be ranked higher. I don´t think Mattsson is first round material, but im not sure Anton G is that either.

IMO, at this point; I think Mattias Tedenby (although he is only 5'9") and Johan Motin looks as very very likely firstrounders. I also think André Petersson has a very very good chance. We also have potential high picks in Johan Erkgärds, Lucas Sandström and (possibly) Daniel Despotovic (coolest name ever huh). There´s some more players as well, but we will see, depending on the coming season.

Last edited:

STA

Jul 25, 2006
Vancouver
Players who are #1 a year from the draft almost always drop.

Stamkos is going to be around #12 a year from now.

hockey guy

Jun 26, 2007
D Zach Bogosian from the Peterborough Petes of the OHL, he should go 1st round or early 2nd round IMO, this kid can skate like the wind, & his puck skills are unreal, he's very smooth back on the point.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
ok guys, update next month. I actually did scouting this time.

1. Steven Stamkos.
2. Drew Doughty.
3. Zach Boychuk
4. Colton Teuburt.
5. Patrice Cormier.
6. David Toews.
7. Alex Pieterangelo.
8. Michael Del Zotto.
9. Kirill Petrov.
10. Chris Doyle.
11. Jamie Arniel.
12. Colin Wilson.