Top 25 Swedish NHL Players of All Time

Kurt Cobain

Mar 30, 2004
I would switch Alfredsson and Marcus Naslund. They both had similar offensive peaks, but I think Daniel's two way game puts him over the top. I would also argue Alfredsson has had a slighty more consistent career.

PPG:
Naslund - .78
Alfreddson - .99

Fredrik_71

Dec 24, 2007
Sweden
My list :)

Top 25:
Nicklas Lidstrom
Peter Forsberg
Mats Sundin
Borje Salming
Daniel Alfredsson
Mats Naslund
Markus Naslund
Tomas Sandstrom
Thomas Steen
Stefan Persson
Anders Kallur
Anders Hedberg
Patrik Sundstrom
Ulf Samuelsson
Kent Nilsson
Hakan Loob
Calle Johansson
Thomas Gradin
Fredrik Olausson
Pelle Lindbergh
Ulf Dahlen
Tomas Holmstrom
Mattias Ohlund
Bengt-Ake Gustafsson
Mikael Renberg

Bubble players:
Henrik Zetterberg (lock for top 10)
Michael Nylander
Bo Lindstrom
Per-Erik Eklund
Mattias Norstrom
Kjell Samuelsson

Only played a couple of matches but needs mentioning:
Sven Tumba

/Cheers

trevchar1971

Jun 1, 2006
1. Nicklas Lidstrom
2. Peter Forsberg
3. Mats Sundin
4. Borje Salming
5. Markus Naslund
6. Henrik Zetterberg (will end up in top 3)
7. Daniel Alfredsson
8. Hakan Loob
9. Mats Naslund
10. Pelle Lindberg

Fredrik_71

Dec 24, 2007
Sweden
:handclap:

People seem to think that Tommy Salo played only one game in his entire career - the one against Belarus in 2002...

I think he had a couple of good seasons but... I mean Pelle Lindbergh actually won a Vezina!!! But I grew up in Hallstahammar (swedish joke):laugh:

/Cheers

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
I think Lundqvist has done enough by this point to be ahead of Lindberg, to be honest.

I'm not too sure about this. Sure Lundqvist has that longevity factor in his corner, but I wonder which goalie will go down as Sweden's greatest ever. If you're factoring international performances, you have to remember the teams Lundqvist has/will had/have in front of him. IMO Lindbergh was the more talented of the two, and if hadn't tragically died so young, would have put up the numbers to prove it.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
I'm not too sure about this. Sure Lundqvist has that longevity factor in his corner, but I wonder which goalie will go down as Sweden's greatest ever. If you're factoring international performances, you have to remember the teams Lundqvist has/will had/have in front of him. IMO Lindbergh was the more talented of the two, and if hadn't tragically died so young, would have put up the numbers to prove it.

Lindbergh has that one big season, but I don't think it's so much better that it overshadows what Lundqvist has done over the last 4. I'd say the goaltending position is a lot deeper now that it was in the mid 80's.

I wasn't really looking internationally. Just at the NHL. From what I understand, Lindbergh wasn't particularly impressive at the Canada Cup in '81, but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt because he was pretty young at the time and Sweden wasn't as strong then as it is now. But by the same token, those Flyers teams were exceptionally strong. Lindbergh is a first team allstar in 1985, Froese is a 2nd team allstar in 1986, Hextall is a first team allstar in 1987...

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Lindbergh has that one big season, but I don't think it's so much better that it overshadows what Lundqvist has done over the last 4. I'd say the goaltending position is a lot deeper now that it was in the mid 80's.

I wasn't really looking internationally. Just at the NHL. From what I understand, Lindbergh wasn't particularly impressive at the Canada Cup in '81, but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt because he was pretty young at the time and Sweden wasn't as strong then as it is now. But by the same token, those Flyers teams were exceptionally strong. Lindbergh is a first team allstar in 1985, Froese is a 2nd team allstar in 1986, Hextall is a first team allstar in 1987...

froese as a 2nd team all-star really sticks out there. lindbergh and hextall backed up their great regular seasons with deep runs in the playoffs. the great flyers defence and system helped, but those guys were great goalies. looking at the rest of his short career, froese's numbers in '86-'86 seem to have been very close to completely a product of his team. maybe howe and mccrimmond (a combined +168) should have gotten froese's vezina nomination (and he lost to beezer by two voting points). i don't know, i never saw him play, but he did lose his starting job in philly twice in three years. maybe flyers fans maybe can help.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
froese as a 2nd team all-star really sticks out there. lindbergh and hextall backed up their great regular seasons with deep runs in the playoffs. the great flyers defence and system helped, but those guys were great goalies. looking at the rest of his short career, froese's numbers in '86-'86 seem to have been very close to completely a product of his team. maybe howe and mccrimmond (a combined +168) should have gotten froese's vezina nomination (and he lost to beezer by two voting points). i don't know, i never saw him play, but he did lose his starting job in philly twice in three years. maybe flyers fans maybe can help.
Wow...

That's a totally new way to overrate Lindberg : the comparison with Froese.

Saying the season happened because of the defense and the playoffs because of the goalie.

And God knows there is already LOTS of way to overrate Lindberg.

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005

When a guy with an almost 4 year NHL career already has the longevity edge, maybe people need to step back and re-examine the comparison being made.

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
When a guy with an almost 4 year NHL career already has the longevity edge, maybe people need to step back and re-examine the comparison being made.

You do realize I'm trying to compare them solely on a talent basis right? If you look at stats, sure Lundqvist is going to beat a guy who only had 1 full season under his belt before dying young. You also have to consider the time frame each goalie played (although I don't know the numbers exactly to compare the goals being scored now to what Lindbergh played against, but it should be noted Lindbergh played in a very high scoring era). Fact is Lindbergh won a Vezina in the only full year he played. Even if you chock it up to the defense in front of him playing so well, he probably would have gone on to win more, and so the talent comparison is there IMO.

trickster

Maple Leaf Lane Forever
Mar 6, 2002
Leaf Nation
Hmm

Any engine that derives a formula to set Markus Naslund ahead of Mats Sundin has to be taken with a grain of salt.

A cup victory for either would certainly go a long way. I think a lot of people forget that Mats Sundin was the first European to be selected first overall in the NHL draft. Surely Markus Naslund's excellent 2002-2003 season is not enough to project him above Mats Sundin.

I am not sure what the current standings are, but last time I checked Mats held the NHL record for career regular season overtime goals (Shared with Iginla and Jagr - anyone have an update?).

Mats was the first Swede to score 500 goals. Even though Mats had a few years head start on Markus, I doubt Naslund will ever hit 500.

Finally, despite the fact that Mats is older than Markus, the actions of the Canucks this off season clearly illustrate that they believe Mats has a lot more to offer than Markus.

I agree with the original list's top four. I personally would put Mats behind only Nik Lidstrom and Forsberg, but I never saw Salming play. I respect Salming's numbers - especially early in his career. His playing in the NHL surely influenced young boys named Niklas, Peter, Mats, and Markus.

One last thought, should Mats win a cup with Vancouver this year I would move him ahead of Peter on the all-time list - and would feel confident that any thought that Markus was in the same league as Mats would be dead.

Just my humble opinion.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
You do realize I'm trying to compare them solely on a talent basis right? If you look at stats, sure Lundqvist is going to beat a guy who only had 1 full season under his belt before dying young. You also have to consider the time frame each goalie played (although I don't know the numbers exactly to compare the goals being scored now to what Lindbergh played against, but it should be noted Lindbergh played in a very high scoring era). Fact is Lindbergh won a Vezina in the only full year he played. Even if you chock it up to the defense in front of him playing so well, he probably would have gone on to win more, and so the talent comparison is there IMO.

Well, he did play in a high-scoring era, but played only marginally better than Bob Froese.

As for international accomplishments... if we can seriously consider them, I'm waiting for everybody to sing the praises of Martin Gerber.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto

It's true that Lindberg played in a high scoring era, and I hope nobody is comparing goalies from the 80's to modern goalies based on raw stats, because that's unfair. But it's also worth noting that the goaltending position was very, very shallow in the 80's. Pat Riggin, Bob Froese, Rollie Melanson, Murray Bannerman, and Reggie Lemelin (twice!) were all Vezina finalists in that era. If I'm not mistaken, the 80's is the only decade to have 10 different First-Team allstars in goal (I use first-team allstars because the Vezina trophy was just the Jennings prior to 1982). At the very least, that shows a lack of consistency among the high-end goalies of the era.

Just because a goalie wins the Vezina in their first full season, doesn't mean they'll go on to win more (especially a goalie from that era). Look no further than the 3 Vezina winners directly surrounding Lindberg: Barrasso in '84, Vanbiesbrouck in '86, and Hextall in '87.

I'm not saying all this to tear down Lindberg, but one great season is just one great season. Nobody is saying he'd become Jim Carey, but there's no reason to believe he'd become Terry Sawchuk either. Somewhere in the middle (ala Hextall, Barrasso, Vanbiesbrouck) seems more likely.

Last edited:

Security Guard Chang*

Sundin must be the most ovverated player EVER!!!! The guys a 80-70 point player for most of his career and got 100p Playing on a nordiques team and prob the higest scoring reg season if i remeber correctly he was 23/22 in league points(not sure) when he had 114 points!playing in Toronto(center of the unverse) made him a "legend"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad