Top 25 Calder Candidates

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoolburnIsGone

Having read thru the Hockey Forecaster, they had their top 25 Calder Candidates for next season. The lists goes as follows (and I added their regular season numbers from last yr if they played and DNP denotes not playing in the NHL):

1. Kari Lehtonen, G, Thrashers (4-0-0, 1.25 GAA, 1 SO, .953 Sv%)
  2. Marek Svatos, RW, Avalanche (4GP, 2G, 0A, +1)
  3. Marcel Goc, C, Sharks (DNP) (5GP, 1G, 1A, +1)
  4. Jozef Balej, RW, Rangers (17GP, 1G, 4A, -1)
  5. Niklas Kronwall, D, Red Wings (20GP, 1G, 4A, +5)
  6. Alexander Ovechkin, LW, Capitals (DNP)
  7. Thomas Pock, D, Rangers (6GP, 2G, 2A, -4)
  8. Rickard Wallin, C, Wild (15GP, 5G, 4A, +1)
  9. Dion Phaneuf, D, Flames (DNP)
  10. Jeff Carter, C, Flyers (DNP)
  11. Zach Parise, C, Devils (DNP)
  12. Timofei Shishkanov, LW, Predators (2GP, 0G, 0A, -1)
  13. Antti Miettinen, LW/C, Stars (16GP, 1G, 0A, -9)
  14. Pavel Vorobiev, RW, Blackhawks (18GP, 1G, 3A, +1)
  15. Fedor Tyutin, D, Rangers (25GP, 2G, 5A, -4)
  16. Ryan Whitney, D, Penguins (DNP)
  17. Rob Globke, RW, Panthers (DNP)
  18. Igor Grigorenko, RW, Red Wings (DNP)
  19. Andrew Hutchinson, D, Predators (18GP, 4G, 4A, +1)
  20. Mikko Koivu, C, Wild (DNP)
  21. Lauri Tukonen, RW, Kings (DNP)
  22. Andrew Ladd, LW, Hurricanes (DNP)
  23. Lukas Krajicek, D, Panthers (18GP, 1G, 6A, -2)
  24. Braydon Coburn, D, Thrashers (DNP)
  25. Antero Nittymaki, G, Flyers (3-0-0, 1.00 GAA, 0 SO, .961 Sv%)
I don't find too many faults with their list. Maybe a few that are somewhat surprising (who surprised you that made the list??) and a few left off that deserved (who is missing in your opinion??).

degroat*

I would think the chances of Sejna winning are a little higher than some of the players listed.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
A very nice list. Nice job.. Though I'd swap Ovechkin with Marek Svatos. Marek has a great shot due to his skills and his linemates, but I'd place him just outside the top 5. I don't think 40/45 points is gonna cut it this year, which is what i expect Svatos to assemble.

I do think that Miettinen won't stand much of a chance, mainly due to icetime. There's a chance he will enjoy a season simular to that of Niko Kapanen's rookie year, in fact, the odds are pretty decent, but for this years crop to be recognized, you need to do better than 35 points and be defensively responsible. I think Junior Lessard, who's said to have a great shot being Modano's winger on a scoring line, (unlike Miets who will likely play with Turgeon/Barnes or Kapanen on one of the checking lines) has a better chance if I had to give the top Calder candidate for the Stars. Does Daley still count as a rookie btw? I know he's no longer a prospect by HF's criteria's, but does 26 games still qualify him as a rookie?

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
Greta list. I wonder if any Bruins will challenge for a spot since we have absolutley so players on the team. Right now Boyes, Hilbert, Jurcina and Stuart/Zinojev(if leaves NCAA and Russia) will be shoeins

CoolburnIsGone

Before too many more people ask it, the criteria to be eligible for the Calder according to NHL.com is as follows:

To be eligible for the award, a player cannot have played more than 25 games in any single preceding season nor in six or more games in each of any two preceding seasons in any major professional league. The player must not be older than 26 years before September 15 of the season in which he is eligible.

CH Wizard

If Kostitsyn will play with the habs (which I strongely DOUBT) can be in the top 25.I know he has to play in the Ahl but if he shine in the camp who knows anyways.

I think Lehtonen can win the calder , he'll get more start next year no doubt.If Svatos will be a regular in the Avs , he can be a candidate for the calder.Well if Lehtonen gonna win the calder , it's gonna be two straight years award for a goaltender because Raycroft win it this past year.Why not make a Defensive (for the best D or goalie rookie) calder trophy and a offensive calder trophy (for the best offensve rookie).

Thats the 3 players , who will be finalist for the Calder IMO.

1 Lehtonen
2 Parise
3 Svatos

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
I like Pock up there and Tyutin down a little. Just because Pock is an offensive defensemen and might put up good numbers. He was very impressive in his 6 games.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
What are some projected stats for Svatos and who is he playing with? This is more for a fantasy draft.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Ott = Snott said:
Does Daley still count as a rookie btw? I know he's no longer a prospect by HF's criteria's, but does 26 games still qualify him as a rookie?

Unfortunately not...he played 1 game too many last season.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
I would definitely have Mikhail Yakubov on that list instead of Pavel Vorobiev. He is epected to make the team out of training camp while Vorobiev will be fighting Matt Keith and Igor Radulov for a spot, and I expect Keith to beat him out for it.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
I'm a little surprised that Shishkanov is on there but not Upshall. Upshall is a little bit more NHL ready, even if Shishkanov is more of a dynamic\sniper kind of player. Hutchinson is also a pleasant surprise. If that guy can round out his defensive game, he's got top-notch offensive skills\a laser shot.

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
I have no idea why these guys are listing Grigorenko, Igor and the Wings have made it clear that he's going to spend one more year in Russia before coming to NA, so Grigorenko should be listed for 2005/2006 rookies instead.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
Ott = Snott said:
A very nice list. Nice job.. Though I'd swap Ovechkin with Marek Svatos. Marek has a great shot due to his skills and his linemates, but I'd place him just outside the top 5. I don't think 40/45 points is gonna cut it this year, which is what i expect Svatos to assemble.

I do think that Miettinen won't stand much of a chance, mainly due to icetime. There's a chance he will enjoy a season simular to that of Niko Kapanen's rookie year, in fact, the odds are pretty decent, but for this years crop to be recognized, you need to do better than 35 points and be defensively responsible. I think Junior Lessard, who's said to have a great shot being Modano's winger on a scoring line, (unlike Miets who will likely play with Turgeon/Barnes or Kapanen on one of the checking lines) has a better chance if I had to give the top Calder candidate for the Stars. Does Daley still count as a rookie btw? I know he's no longer a prospect by HF's criteria's, but does 26 games still qualify him as a rookie?

Miettinen will probably be on a checking line so I don't expect he'll get a ton of points. Although if it's going to be the all Finish line of Kapanen-Lehtinen-Miettinen, it will be more skilled than most other checking lines.

Grigorenko is a surprise since he won't be in Detroit this year...maybe next year. i like Kronwall is there. If Schneider doesn't come back I could see Kronwall getting a lot of points on the power play.

tiredman

Nov 10, 2003
RichPanther said:
Having read thru the Hockey Forecaster, they had their top 25 Calder Candidates for next season. The lists goes as follows (and I added their regular season numbers from last yr if they played and DNP denotes not playing in the NHL):

1. Kari Lehtonen, G, Thrashers (4-0-0, 1.25 GAA, 1 SO, .953 Sv%)
  2. Marek Svatos, RW, Avalanche (4GP, 2G, 0A, +1)
  3. Marcel Goc, C, Sharks (DNP) (5GP, 1G, 1A, +1)
  4. Jozef Balej, RW, Rangers (17GP, 1G, 4A, -1)
  5. Niklas Kronwall, D, Red Wings (20GP, 1G, 4A, +5)
  6. Alexander Ovechkin, LW, Capitals (DNP)
  7. Thomas Pock, D, Rangers (6GP, 2G, 2A, -4)
  8. Rickard Wallin, C, Wild (15GP, 5G, 4A, +1)
  9. Dion Phaneuf, D, Flames (DNP)
  10. Jeff Carter, C, Flyers (DNP)
  11. Zach Parise, C, Devils (DNP)
  12. Timofei Shishkanov, LW, Predators (2GP, 0G, 0A, -1)
  13. Antti Miettinen, LW/C, Stars (16GP, 1G, 0A, -9)
  14. Pavel Vorobiev, RW, Blackhawks (18GP, 1G, 3A, +1)
  15. Fedor Tyutin, D, Rangers (25GP, 2G, 5A, -4)
  16. Ryan Whitney, D, Penguins (DNP)
  17. Rob Globke, RW, Panthers (DNP)
  18. Igor Grigorenko, RW, Red Wings (DNP)
  19. Andrew Hutchinson, D, Predators (18GP, 4G, 4A, +1)
  20. Mikko Koivu, C, Wild (DNP)
  21. Lauri Tukonen, RW, Kings (DNP)
  22. Andrew Ladd, LW, Hurricanes (DNP)
  23. Lukas Krajicek, D, Panthers (18GP, 1G, 6A, -2)
  24. Braydon Coburn, D, Thrashers (DNP)
  25. Antero Nittymaki, G, Flyers (3-0-0, 1.00 GAA, 0 SO, .961 Sv%)
I don't find too many faults with their list. Maybe a few that are somewhat surprising (who surprised you that made the list??) and a few left off that deserved (who is missing in your opinion??).
No Scotty Upshall? :dunno:

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
I think its a little bit more of Balej played like 20 games. He only looked confortable at the end but then played awesome. Then he went to the AHL for the playoffs and was one of the leading scorers. I think mostly though is hes a litte more mature/ready than most of the other guys who have higher upside. He could pot 20 this season where I dont think Ladd, Tukonen, etc will because hes more ready.

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
Pretty good list, but I agree with the poster who talked about the sudden love for Balej in the hockey community. Kind of weird, as he dominated the AHL all season long last year but got close to no hype. By the way, if Perezhogin is allowed to play in the NHL in 2004-05, I think he could be a very serious candidate. He's not Montreal's most NHL ready prospect, but skillwise he's definatly up there (stickhandling, speed, skating). He has an above-average wrist shot and is very aware defensively.

CoolburnIsGone

I was surprised at the players some of you have mentioned being left off the list: Fleury, Michalek, Upshall and Kostitsyn (though I think Fleury could benefit from a whole yr in the AHL and be spared from the on-slaught in Pittsburgh). I could definitely see a few on the list that don't end up making their teams' rosters (Krajicek, Nittymaki - both jump out as guys facing a numbers game).

Also, there were players listed in the Long-Term Impact just below the Top 25 which included already drafted prospects M-A Fleury, Kostitsyn, Malkin, Schwarz, Stewart, Suter, Toivonen, Vanek, LeNeveu, Steen, Eriksson, along with a few future picks in Crosby , Brule, Latendresse, & Kessel. These players may just end up being better than the group listed for the Calder.

There's also a wild card as well that I see and that's Alexander Perezhogin. Seems like the Canadiens have very few choices with him since he's banned for a yr from the AHL.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
For the Flyers, Niitymaki will be the back-up goalie.

He played great in his three games last year, but unless Esche suffers an injury "Frank" won't play in more than 20-25 games.

On Carter, if this was a regular NHL season, I would say that he'd have a very very good chance of making the team.

With a lockout looming, chances are that both Richards and Carter will be sent back to Jr's. unless a new CBA gets hammered out real soon.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
417 TO MTL said:
What's with the sudden infatuation with Josef Balej? just wondering...

Gotta be the first time a prospect got more press after leaving Montreal...

As for the Penguins...Fleury definitely has to be on that list.

My dark horse for the Calder is Ben Eaves as well, but I'm not suprised that he's not on the list.

Vic Rattlehead*

As someone stated before, how can Michalek not be on the list?

Oh, and Getzlaf should be on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->