Top 20 Prospects - Mid-Season Edition

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
The injuries are a bit of a concern...especially since he didn't do any kind of weight training before being drafted. I almost wish he was 6-4 with a thicker frame, instead of 6-7 and skinny like a noodle.

Hockey db has him at 6'6,220...i believe the exact figure to the pound of chris pronger. Not worried about his proportions or thickness.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Would antropov not be a good comparison for brown?

Drafted at 6'5,220...grew to 6'6,240...drafted 10th overall, top seasons of 67 points, 59 points, 56 points.. 465 points in 788 games...or an average of 47 points per 79 games. Prime being slightly better then that at a 50-60 per 82 pace.

I mean, that seems pretty reasonable.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Would antropov not be a good comparison for brown?

Drafted at 6'5,220...grew to 6'6,240...drafted 10th overall, top seasons of 67 points, 59 points, 56 points.. 465 points in 788 games...or an average of 47 points per 79 games. Prime being slightly better then that at a 50-60 per 82 pace.

I mean, that seems pretty reasonable.
Size wise yes but I don't see many similarities in their game.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
Chabot
Brown
White
Chlapik
Batherson
Formenton
Jaros
Hogberg
Gagne
Wolanin

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Size wise yes but I don't see many similarities in their game.

What are the differences in their games? Both decent skaters for their size. Both liked to use their size down low. Both players you wish would play meaner and use their body even more. Similar pass/shoot ratio. Similar production. Both can get caught not engaging enough defensively. And as you said, similar size. Heck, even their draft position is oh so close.

I see a lot of similarities, so what are the differences? Ones russian and ones a canadian/american hybrid. what else?

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
What are the differences in their games? Both decent skaters for their size. Both liked to use their size down low. Both players you wish would play meaner and use their body even more. Similar pass/shoot ratio. Similar production. Both can get caught not engaging enough defensively. And as you said, similar size. Heck, even their draft position is oh so close.

I see a lot of similarities, so what are the differences? Ones russian and ones a canadian/american hybrid. what else?
I think Brown sees the game a lot better and has the ability to create more high end plays. He's also developed a great shooting tendency this year.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
1. Chabot
2. Brown
3. Chlapik
4. White
5. Formenton
6. Batherson
7. Jaros
8. Harpur
9. Hogberg
10. Lajoie
11. Perron
12. Englund
13. Paul
14. Gagne
15. Wolanin
16. Daccord
17. Nurmi
18. Summers
19. Rodewald
20. Kelly

Would be my list. Some later guys (Gagne, Wolanin, Daccord and Nurmi) could move up quickly once they get more reps at the AHL level. Overall I think it's a decent pool of prospects. I don't think it's unrealistic to think that all of the top 10 could play 200+ games in the NHL. Chabot is going to be a star, Chlapik and White are middle six players alomost for sure. Brown is a nice boom-bust guy. A lot of good to look forward to.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Back when Antropov was drafted, one of the bigger concerns was his skating, and that's back when skating wasn't as big of an issue. Brown's skating is typically described as an asset, with the caveat, for his size.

Edit: It's worth pointing out that Brown is still viewed in the "what he could become" lens, where as Antripov can be viewed as what he became.

Brown has a higher upside than what Antripov became, but so did Antripov. Another example is a guy like Colborne. He was also seen as a bust or boom prospect, much like Brown, and Antripove, but he fell closer to the bust end of the spectrum.

Antripov
Assets: Physical, vision/hockey sense, + passing.
Flaws: Lacks acceleration and speed, shot needs improvement

Colborne
Assets: Soft hands, size/strength, +passer, good skater for his size
Flaws: Work ethic. Not physical (particularly given his size)

Brown
Assets: Skating (for his size) powerfull stride and good edgework (for his size), vision, passing. Puck protection. Good shot
Flaws: Work ethic, needs to use his shot more to be less predictable.

All three are similar and all three were/are seen as potential first line centers, but all three had aspects of risk associated with their development.

Last edited:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
1. D, Thomas Chabot
2. C, Logan Brown
3. RW, Drake Batherson
4. C. Filip Chlapik
5. C, Colin White
6. D, Christian Jaros
7. LW, Alex Formenton
8. D, Ben Harpur
9. LW, Nick Paul
10. G, Marcus Hogberg
11. D, Christian Wolanin
12. RW, Gabriel Gagne
13. D, Max Lajoie
14. LW, Francis Perron
15. D, Andreas Englund
16. LW, Aaron Luchuk
17. LW, Max McCormick
18. RW, Markus Nurmi
19. C, Parker Kelly
20. D, Kelly Summers

I have the exact same top-10 (I switched Batherson and White from my previous ranking 2 months ago), except that I have Perron between Harpur and Paul. Even after that, my ranking is very similar

1. Thomas Chabot
2. Logan Brown
3. Drake Batherson
4. Filip Chlapik
5. Colin White
6. Christian Jaros
7. Alex Formenton
8. Ben Harpur
9. Francis Perron
10. Nick Paul
11. Christian Wolanin
12. Marcus Hogberg
13. Gabriel Gagne
14. Max Lajoie
15. Andreas Englund
16. Aaron Luchuk
17. Markus Nurmi
18. Max McCormick
19. Kelly Summers
20. Parker Kelly

Who are the others? Hollet, Daccord, Driedger, Rodewald, Sieloff, Ahl, Gendron, Burgess, Donaghey, Erkamps? I think that's all. Not much there, except maybe the goalies. But pretty solid top-20, particularly top-15.

I feel goalies should be ranked separately, just too hard to rank with skaters.

Do we really consider Chabot a prospect at this point? It feels like he's pretty much cemented his place in Ottawa.

Gotta keep the same consensus as usual : HF criterias. If not, then it becomes impossible to compare lists because anybody could make his own rules. So far only Claesson has graduated. Chabot should be by the end of the year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Logan Brown had a good training camp with the Sens and when he got sent back to Windsor , he was by all reports very engaged.

2017-18Windsor Spitfires*OHL15131124
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

I feel bad for him getting hurt so early at the WJC.. His injury made a big difference to Team USA imo. I think Brown was looking to shine in the big spotlight .. From the KR board; he is a couple of weeks away from returning to play. He could have another long run this year... Let's just hope he returns at 100%

Reactions: Gil Scott Perron

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I am not very well versed in junior hockey, considering Batherson as an overager who was passed over in 2016 would technically be in his draft +2 season, what are some comparable +2 seasons for the success he is currently having in the QMJHL?

Other than watching him at the WJC and pre-season, I haven't seen him play. I see how high he is on a lot of people's lists and am just looking for some context regarding the type of season he is having.

Thanks.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The forward group of Batherson, Brown, Chlapik, Formenton will really help the depth 4-9.

Jaros, maybe Harpur/England/Cleassen become regular bottom pairing guys.

Sens need top end talent at Forward and D.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Formenton = Andrew Cogliano, average season 15-20 Goals 35-40 points.
0.4 points points per game

Brown = Jaden Schwartz, average season 20-28 Goals 55-63 points.
0.7 points per game average

Batherson = Ryan Callahan, average season 15-24 Goals 37-54 points
0.53 points per game average

Chlapik = Alex Killorn, average season 14-19 Goals 36-41 points
0.4 points per game average

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Formenton = Andrew Cogliano, average season 15-20 Goals 35-40 points.
0.4 points points per game

Brown = Jaden Schwartz, average season 20-28 Goals 55-63 points.
0.7 points per game average

Batherson = Ryan Callahan, average season 15-24 Goals 37-54 points
0.53 points per game average

Chlapik = Alex Killorn, average season 14-19 Goals 36-41 points
0.4 points per game average
Only one close is Formenton. No clue where the others would have come from, but I don't understand them at least.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
By most accounts, Brown has really taken a step towards being a more consistent player this year, making sure that he brings it every game.

His injury history is definitely a bit of a worry, but also not so rare. A lot of bigger guys, especially when they are young, struggle to stay healthy. The AHL will do him well, imo.

Sidenote, but if we trade for Kyrou I think he could make an unreal pairing with Brown.

Anyways, here's my list...

Colour-coded by potential (red= top 6/4; orange = middle lines; blue = bottom 6/3rd pair; green = bottom line/extra), bold = sure thing with some upside

1. Chabot
2. Brown

3. White
4. Chlapik

5. Batherson
6. Harpur
7. Jaros
8. Formenton
9. Gagne
10. Paul
11. Hogberg
12. Englund
13. Wolainen
14. Lajoie

15. Nurmi
16. Perron
17. Summers
18. Luchuk
19. Kelly

20. Rodewald
ex: Sieloff, Driedger, Murray

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
The more I look into Kelly Summers the more underrated I think he might be among our prospects. The 1D (although not by much) on a top2 team in the ncaa. As a rhd this is exciting as he might be our 2nd best rhd prospect after Jaros. Could see him being a Butcher type player.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
KK talks about White and Chlapik and the BSens
Kleinendorst: White's game has improved since playing with the Sen

White needs to get physically stronger - close; Plays in all situations in Belleville, Starting to take steps
Chlapik; One of the top forwards, physically strong; needs to improve his consistency and his play without the puck - close
Gagne needs to improve play without the puck; sometime mid next year away
Jaros is a Bronco ... self motivated - needs to be reigned in here and there ... good prospect

Last edited:
Reactions: Do Make Say Think

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
By most accounts, Brown has really taken a step towards being a more consistent player this year, making sure that he brings it every game.

His injury history is definitely a bit of a worry, but also not so rare. A lot of bigger guys, especially when they are young, struggle to stay healthy. The AHL will do him well, imo.

Sidenote, but if we trade for Kyrou I think he could make an unreal pairing with Brown.

Anyways, here's my list...

Colour-coded by potential (red= top 6/4; orange = middle lines; blue = bottom 6/3rd pair; green = bottom line/extra), bold = sure thing with some upside

1. Chabot
2. Brown

3. White
4. Chlapik

5. Batherson
6. Harpur
7. Jaros
8. Formenton
9. Gagne
10. Paul
11. Hogberg
12. Englund
13. Wolainen
14. Lajoie

15. Nurmi
16. Perron
17. Summers
18. Luchuk
19. Kelly

20. Rodewald
ex: Sieloff, Driedger, Murray

I like this list with the colours in it. Adds another level of depth to think about. Nice job.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad